Microsoft May Have to Let Users Choose Browser

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I didnt read any responces here so im sorry if this has already been said.

But since when did microsoft not allow you to chose you own browser? if you ask me The EU are just acting like a bunch of bullys sueing MS for a bunch of crap for no real market changing cause. SUE MS FOR DIRECT X ffs at least that would actualy acomplish something other then waste money.

Just a little reminder to the apperantly slow in the head EU MS is NOT telling people they cannot install things on thier computer and they are not stopping people from using thier own browsers, media players, blah blah whatever other idiotic thing they think of next. They do what EVERY software maker does. They bundle thier own software that they make with thier product. Do they disable you from installing what you want and not using thier stuff? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EU can shove it where the sun dont shine imo.

viciousteletuby28

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I feel that Microsoft has now delt with this problem by allowing the uninstallation of IE8 in Windows 7 and the that this matter can be put to rest.
Maybe they could some fine print in the installation that mentions you can remove IE8 so that everyone knows about it.

tiredwolf

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Im no fan of MS but I have to side with them on this one, the whole thing is just stupid, of course they are going to by default incorporate their software into their operating system, Mac does the same thing, and most linux Distros by default use Firefox. There is competition out there for lots of the default windows products, so what are they saying? when we first click on solitare we should have 50 options as to which solitaire program we want to use, and whhen we click on the start menu we should have 50 options as to which start menu we want to use? I know that is extreme, but how cna you say ONE program with competition should have options, and another one shouldnt, and how can they say what the options should be? should we include every browser ever made as options?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]A lot of people don't realise there are other options out there. For ages my friend's mother was using IE ("the internet" as she called it). When I downloaded firefox for her she said she was "using a different internet now and it works better." Some of the not so tech-savvy really have no idea what's available to them.[/citation]

Different people different browsers really.
My parents have ie, opera, firefox and chrome on their pc for some reason (dunno why exactly) - my mom uses firefox for certain sites where she's playing flash games - they run better in firefox she sais - but uses ie for everything else.
I use ie for mail and tomshardware, and chrome for everything else. My aunt uses only firefox, and my grandma would've used only chrome if just java would've worked better with her bingo and other games - forcing her to use ie for those.

In general people will use what they find works best. firefox is best for people with weak/old computers with low memory available. ie is best for complicated homepages that otherwise doesn't work (ie8 is the exception, as it only works in compatibility mode properly on many pages like toms or hp's support). Chrome is for enthusiasts really, as lacking silverlight and halfassed java support breaks the experience. Opera and safari are for ... well they're not really good for anything, but I suppose an apple user on a windows might enjoy a browser he's used to.

[citation][nom]Kewl Munky[/nom]Perfect explanation. The only thing Microsoft should have to allow is the removal of IE.[/citation]
Since windows 95 you've had the option to change your shell, and thereby avoiding ie alltogether. Most people just don't want to, cause it introduces more problems than solutions.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]zingam[/nom]Another retard spoke his opinion. There is absolutely no similarity between DirectX and the browsers. Direct X is an API part of the OS necessary to program other applications. It is essential part of Windows. IE is not! It's just another crappy application by Microsoft.[/citation]

Im going to just asume you cannot read. I never said Direct x had anything to do with a browser. However you did repeate basicly what i was trying to say. Direct X is a essential part of windows and basicly what keeps windows really the "only OS" for the main stream which is why i perhaps mentioned the EU if they had half a brain should sue them to open that perhaps instead of wasting thier time sueing them to not put thier own apps in thier own OS's. hope that clears it up a bit for you. Before you call someone a retard maybe perhaps read what was said.

I think someone once said its better people think you a idiot instead of.... o screw it youll probly think im telling the EU to make MS turn thier OS into linux or something.

But thank you for pointing out stuff i didnt say.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Does the EU want MS to install every browser known? If not there would be lawsuits as to why some aren't included in the OS. I don't know how Apple as gone so long without a lawsuit about Safari, Chrome will be out of beta soon and then you will have 2 other top choices for OS X, but Apple wont install them.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]puddleglum[/nom]By using a download tool like, wget, ftp, scp, etc. I don't know why you think you need a web browser to do this. The same tool that gives folks the choice to download can use those protocols to get it.[/citation]
And I suppose your Grand Mother would have no problem using wget, ftp, or scp to download the latest version of FireFox?

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]A lot of people don't realise there are other options out there. For ages my friend's mother was using IE ("the internet" as she called it). When I downloaded firefox for her she said she was "using a different internet now and it works better." Some of the not so tech-savvy really have no idea what's available to them.[/citation]

That's certainly not Microsoft's fault. I don't see a problem with them bundling their browser with their OS.

Are they soon going to have to offer the user to use a watered down version of Photoshop instead of bundling MS Paint? What about Winamp instead of Media Player?

Pretty soon we'll be buying computers and when we first press the power button we'll be greeted with a ballot saying, "Choose one: [ ]Microsoft Windows - [ ]Apple OSX - [ ]Linux Ubuntu"

Yeah.

If given the option most uneducated computer users would likely choose IE anyway.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
MS inclusion of free IE is for the consumers' benefit...Otherwise there wouldn't be any free browser at all..Firefox, opera and the likes are made free only to compete with the free pre-installed IE.
Pardon me if that was said before, I don't have the patient to read all the comments, they're so long!!

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Hopefully... since MSIE is a notorious malware magnet. I seldom use it, although sometimes activex is needed. Luckily 95% of the time, I don't need activex controls and hopefully more and more websites will do without that blatant backdoor trap.

Remember Windows 3.xx didn't ship with a web browser. Those were simpler times.

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Imagine u bought a new windows7 for your pc for around 300 bucks..
u went home and install and thinking that i wanna get the latest drivers and so on
then u found out u need a internet browser..
if u have a few pcs..
u're safe
but if u're alone ?

Anyway...microsoft doesn't force people to use IE..
I'm using firefox and yet I still use IE for my hotmail due to the integration with MSN messenger..

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Pretty soon we'll be buying computers and when we first press the power button we'll be greeted with a ballot saying, "Choose one: [ ]Microsoft Windows - [ ]Apple OSX - [ ]Linux Ubuntu"
LOL good one
After selecting OS
Then u need to select internet browser, then media player, then messenger, then whatever EU will put M$ into misery...

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]the EU is stupid what next are they gonna sue MS because the x-box 360 wont play PS3 or Wii games ?[/citation]
your argument is invalid due to the fact that you cannot run the original xbox os on a ps3 or on Wii and vice versa.

inmytaxi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Article says if EU forces MS to provide browser choice, then EU has to force Apple to do the same.

APPLE DOESN'T BUNDLE A BROWSER WITH IT"S OPERATING SYSTEM.

That analogy only works if you're talking about the OPERATING SYSTEM, not the pre built computer.

People selling pre built computers are free to include any browser they choose.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]inmytaxi[/nom]Article says if EU forces MS to provide browser choice, then EU has to force Apple to do the same.APPLE DOESN'T BUNDLE A BROWSER WITH IT"S OPERATING SYSTEM.That analogy only works if you're talking about the OPERATING SYSTEM, not the pre built computer.People selling pre built computers are free to include any browser they choose.[/citation]
Which I suppose means that a change of laws might be in order, to level the playing field between the cheater with the rottne apple, and the rest of the industry.

MountainFlip

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
It does not matter whether it is a browser, a media player, or the windows calculator. These "offenses" are merely scapegoats the EU uses to impose fines on a money-making machine.

You have to give a cut to the government if you have a successful product you want to sell to its citizens.

Also, if you look at the revenues Microsoft generates, it is such a small percent of their revenue....

Think about it.

Yeah, but we don't need ticks, sucking on us.
Even though, naturally, I kill them, I don't hate ticks for being parasites; it's what they are. Adult human beings are not entitled to live as parasites.
/fume

Status
Not open for further replies.