Microsoft No Longer Selling Windows 7 to Retailers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
"Check out Linux. Ubuntu or Mint are both excellent choices. The best part is, they're free."

And that works well with my DX11 games? I hope Mantle takes off because we need someone better than OpenGL for high end gaming. Most games, OGL will be fine, but the pretties ones need something better.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
To the people complaining about the complainers. (how interesting)

What of people saying win8 compatiability is awful? that not only hurts gamers but general users too.

Sure I can maybe make win8 look like 7 if I wanted, and perhaps hours more getting compatiability going, but why spend an hour going through the hoops to do so? When you buy something, it's supposed to work out of the box, win8 does not acheive that goal for most users without a reasonable bit of tinkering. Which to the average user, they don't have a clue, and automartically pushes them away from 8, even if they can get it to do what they want.

Microsoft should have listened to feedback better at the start and this whole issue could have been avoided, but they choose the hard route, and their sales for 8 are suffering for it while they slowly try and backtrack on their previously unpopular decisions.

I imagine windows 9 in 2015/16 is going to be a hybrid of 7 and 8's GUI. Most likely user selectable from the start with the buttons and functions expected of each. Like it should have been.

Remember, just because you can make a change, doesn't always mean you should. Nor does it mean that change is going to be worthwhile.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I bought Windows 8.1, and have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. It's a better OS than Windows 7, plain and simple, but it's got that idiotic interface. It's a shame.

I bought it because buying Windows 7 Ultimate Retail was $300, I got Windows 8 Pro Retail for $110. I thought I would hate it, but I don't. I prefer Windows 7, for sure, but Windows 8.1 has some nice features that made Windows 7 feel a bit dated. It's also noticeably faster.

I don't know why Microsoft felt it necessary to foist this nonsense on people, because if they had essentially kept the Windows 7 interface, and used the improved OS beneath it, and kept some of the nice features, it would be a killer.

Instead, it overall is worse than the predecessor.

You can customize it enough it stops being painful, but why should one have to? Booting directly the desktop is a nice feature with 8.1, and so is the Start Button. Yes, it's not the start button we all want, but it still is very useful since right clicking on it bring up a lot of things we use.

Why they don't just bring the real start button back is a mystery to me. It's stubborn-stupid, and it's why they keep losing market share every month. Give people what they want, especially when they're voting with their dollars, not what you think they want.

The new Task Manger is so much better than the rubbish in Windows 7 though. Overall, part of me doesn't want to go back to Windows 7, but part of me can't stand some of the stupidity in the new interface, which is counter-intuitive. They could have had the best of both, and instead to make it a regression.

The price is being paid. Market share losses, and OEM after OEM focusing more on Chromebooks and other OS device.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Not many are using Windows 8? Where did you pull that out from? :) It took them less than 10 months to surpass to total usage share of all OSX-machines sold the last ten years.

As I said, this is a poor attempt to create a storm in a glass of water by people who really don't use Windows themselves. the amount of up-votes for comments like "you're better off with Linux" just confirms that. Changing everything to something much worse, that isn't able to run any of the Windows software without a buggy emulation really isn't better in any way.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

So the only thing that makes Windows good is that it has software compatibility that it has developed as a result of a 20 year virtual monopoly? Yeah great operating system. Windows free for a year and haven't had any trouble getting by on something "much worse."

There's a reason the "Scroogled" campaign exists. It's because Microsoft doesn't want most people to realize they don't really need Windows.

InvalidError

Titan

What market share losses? The main thing "stealing" sales from Win8/8.1 is Win7... at least for now.

But you are right for the long run. Non-Windows OSes are grabbing attention on non-traditional computing platforms that are becoming powerful enough to replace traditional PCs for an increasing number of everyday tasks and this is starting to make Microsoft really nervous. Almost half the people I know already do the bulk of their everyday internet browsing on their smartphone or tablet and there is no doubt the trend will continue for the foreseeable future.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Why should I waste time discussing with people who only read what they want to read from whom they are "discussing" with? Go back to my first comment and say again that compatibility is the only argument I've made.

Obvious troll is an obvious troll, coolitic.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

Comparing W8 to OSX is like comparing an inch of snow to a foot of snow. 10-15% are on W8? 30% on Xp and nearly 50% on W7. I wouldn't exactly call victory yet especially since if your buying a PC from a store which doesn't include W7 yet W7 is selling better than W8. It even took Vista around 10 months to surpass OSX. The only reason Vista did poorly was that it was so buggy not many wanted it. The comparison between OSX and Windows is negligible at best considering 90% of all PCs are Windows. But hey if you call W8 on the 3rd or 4th place in OS usage a win i guess but most people know what they want out of an OS and XP/W7 are what people want. 2 out of 10 people want or are interested in W8, the rest want W7. They don't want a tacky start menu that takes up the entire screen.

Windows has been the most buggiest OS i have ever used infested by malware where you need a 3rd party antivirus to deflect 90% of the things you don't want in your OS. No, i am moving to Linux because why should i pay for something that dictates how i should be using my computer. Don't have need for touch and there really is no need to have it on a desktop. I doubt many have actually tried to use the start screen for several hours on a 30+" monitor. Just accept the fact that W8 isn't doing as well as W7 or XP. It's been luck that W8 is doing better than Vista but it's not by much. Be realistic, many are not adopting the new UI. I haven't seen one W8 copy that doesn't have a 3rd party start menu and i don't see many W8 machines in consumers hands. It's either XP or W7.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Doesn't bother me as i have a pre activated copy no matter how many times I install it with new hardware or not. Not going to Win 8 no matter what. I refuse 8 period.

G

What OS are companies moving to? Are they sticking it out with XP? Using Windows 7? Are they going to try and keep Windows 7 or are they heading full steam onto Windows 8?

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Well then, MS had better have a serious think about the direction their OS is going and start u-turning by fully re-supporting the desktop community.
Do they honestly think serious users like us are going to be happy - and more seriously - the business community contemplating training their staff on something clearly with its feet firmly placed in the touchscreen arena?

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

All I see is you saying some nonsense about how you can't understand Windows 7 without being a "registry hacker." (LOL?) Then you attack Linux only on the basis of software compatibility and get sore when you get called out on it. After that, you proceed to go into personal attacks against users here all while ignoring any reasonable points made.

My guess is that you've never touched Linux in your life so you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

If you want to see a troll, look in the mirror.

InvalidError

Titan

I do not see why there should be that much retraining. Once you put icons for the most frequently used applications on the taskbar or desktop, Win8.x becomes no more or less usable than Win7. I didn't like the full-screen start menu but after I figured out how pinning stuff on the taskbar so I would not need to use it anymore, it mostly stopped bothering me and then I installed Classic Shell which took care of my other start menu irritations.

The main reason more technically-minded people hate it is because it breaks the way we used to do things and shuffles things around in ways that do not seem to make sense. Less technically minded people do not really give a damn as long as it works.

And to be fair, the configuration option scrambling many people are attributing to Win8 started with Vista and carried through Win7; it did not suddenly appear all at once in Win8.

The Grave Digger

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
This is Another Stupid *ss decision From M$..seriously,They just press the Button of Their Self Destruction program, and i wouldn't be suprised if M$ fall into an Abyss in the near future..Good Bye Microsoft,Your stupidity will be Remembered for all eternity \m/

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
If I'm not allowed to transfer my OEM license to a new computer when I do upgrade, I'm going to start using Linux. I HATE Windows 8 with a passion. I doubt the next iteration of Windows will be any better, with a new CEO. Whoever becomes CEO will probably foul up their first go-around with Windows, and we won't see another decent version of Windows until Windows 10.

Is it REALLY that difficult to add one simple question to the Setup procedure: "Are you using a touch screen?" We really should be able to revert back to the look and feel of Windows 7 without a whole big fuss. Most of us still use a keyboard and mouse/trackpad, you know. It might be a cold day in hell before speech recognition works flawlessly, with all these different dialects and so forth.

twztechman

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
So sad for all these folks that can't adapt. Win 8.1 works great. Way faster and more stable than WIN 7. It's getting tiresome hearing all these folks crying about a start button. Get over it.
I have had WIN 8 since it came out. Yes - I used a free start button for awhile (pooki) but rarely use it anymore. It took me a couple of days to get to 95% of the proficiency where I was with WIN7. Sure - there were a few deeper things in the OS I had to figure out, but hey, these are things 99% of the folks probably would never deal with.
Just FYI - the desktop is exactly like the WIN7 desktop, and the metro has the same stuff as your "all important" start button has.
Oh - you want something easier - try installing Ubuntu on a laptop with a Nvidia Video card. I finally got it to work after visiting numerous forums and learning about all the work a-rounds. Seriously not any easier or more user friendly (unless you love typing in a lot of code)

fat_panda

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I guess the Federal Government will be using Linux or Mac OS after Windows XP support is dropped. There is no way Windows 8 or similar OS will be approved for contract.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Stfu everyone and learn to not be retarted. If you want the advanced tools just right click the start logo on the desktop and boom!

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
"I do not see why there should be that much retraining."

Your kidding right?
My ex's office had to setup training so people could learn to convert corel to office documents. It took them a month to setup the training and teach people to do that before they removed corel, and they still didn't get everything converted properly

A lot of people will be lost as can be just switching from XP/vista to win8.
I remember he was working with the IT dept. and a lady called saying her keyboard didn't work. Turns out she hit a sticky key command that locked it, it took the dept 15 mins to figure out how to unlock it in XP, imagine doing so in 8 when you don't know what your doing.

People will need extensive training just to switch to win8 otherwise you risk a huge disaster in the work place. and disasters cost a lot of time and money to remedy.

Further more, a lot of software works on XP that most offices and governments use. Try getting that to convert to 8 would be another fun task, assuming the software is even made anymore. (Some state mainframes still use dos command interfaces in an XP shell.)

But I would bet money governments will either move to linux and switch to open source programs (Which would be a major cost saving move for already cash strapped agencies and governments) or switch to win7.

Status
Not open for further replies.