Microsoft Now Owns Nokia's Smartphone Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
If they make a flagship phone with SD slot and swappable battery, I will gladly come to Windows Phone from Android.

I would be very surprised if there is not a product like the 930 in size, but with a SD Card slot. If Microsoft fails to provide a product like that, they do no know what the market wants.

I know that a lot of people want a swappable battery, that has been important to me in the past. I am unsure as to if upcoming products will likely have that feature.

Overall I definitely agree with your statement, but personally I can't wait for all that, I already have a Lumia 920 running WP 8.1 and boy is it sweet....

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
This is sad. I wish Nokia made Android phones too. I hate when companies become "Exclusive"
Nokia started making Android and WebOS based phones last year. If you look at the phones lines Microsoft plans to work on further from Nokia, only the Lumia is a Windows Phone OS.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
I basically know no one use Microsoft phone. Finding someone using a Windows phone is harder than finding someone drive a Ferrari.

I'm very disappointed with Nokia for selling their business to Microsoft. The Windows Phone OS in the Lumia 720 my mother has is 100 times worse than my Symbian Belle.
You have to have a Microsoft account to just edit your contacts ?! I mean what the..?

Another thing is the widgets are difficult to navigate around, and there are no built-in minigames(Like the Asphalt series) You can pay for games, but they should have included some in their phone.

A third thing is the phone design. You need a pin to remove the SIM which is the micro sim, not the regular -- I had to cut my SIM for it to fit in, and I can't use my old phone which has the regular. Also, the battery is difficult to remove.

You do not have to login to anything to edit contacts

Are there really still phones that use full size SIM cards?

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Cst, I'm not a microsoft fanboy.. But asphalt 8 is free in wp, you should also check out wp8.1 -> a nice leap in user experience. Removable batteries and big ole sim card are both things that influence the thickness of a phone. I would likely have an sd slot instead.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Google, Apple, and Samsung should only be scared if Microsoft stops the crap that made them the non-competitive machine that they are now. The chances of that happening is low, but companies have turned around.

Too bad mobile phones aren't more like a PC. Where you could just install any OS you want on them. There are plenty of Android phones I want. I just hate the Android OS. I'd buy them if I could put Windows mobile or even WebOS on them.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I'd buy a Lumia, if WP allowed the user to actually personalize their experience. With Android, if you don't like the "launcher" that the phone comes with, there's plenty of other "launchers" to choose from. Don't like the theme? You can change that too. MS needs to take WP in a similar direction where the user has some degree of control over the UI and not just tile size or arrangement. The current UI is dull, boring and looks too much like a toy UI.

Of course you can change the theme of a windows phone . Colors are easy to customize , but apps like shining themes let you customize a lot more

But I really like the UI anyway , so while you may be bored by it many of us find it much more intuitive and user friendly than either ios or android

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
More user friendly, sure. More intuitive? Not so much. The OS is incapable of adapting to it's user. Instead, the user has to adapt to the OS. Imho, iOS is one of the worst designed mobile OS's in existance. It's settings are unnecessarily difficult to navigate. MS actually got that portion as near to perfect as possible. The rest lacks personality. The "MetroUI" is a carry over from the KinOne and KinTwo....and it, much like Windows Mobile, should have died with the Kin phones.

My first "smartphone" was an HTC Trophy with WP7. That was my "upgrade" from a KinTwo. Not really an upgrade as WP7 on the Trophy was no more capable than WM6 on the KinTwo.

I'm not against Windows Phone. Tried to get my wife a Lumia 521 to replace her iPhone. She looked at the "home screen" and asked why I was trying to buy her a phone that looked like it was designed for kids.....

If you like Windows Phones, great. Keep on using it. I generally recommend it to anyone looking to buy their first smartphone. Unless the UI changes drastically, I'll never go back to it myself though.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Why would you rate a smartphone based on the number of pre-installed games? I've personally never based a smartphone purchased on pre-installed games....or pre-installed software for that matter. I've bought based on the lack of, but that's because I hate all the carrier installed bloatware.

That does bring me to an advantage that Windows Phone has. You can uninstall anything that's pre-installed on the phone, unlike Android. You can do the same on BB10, but it'll get reinstalled when the phone gets an update. At least it did for me anyway.

G

As a Windows user and diehard PC gamer, I find myself concerned that MS has decided to take another bite out of the market pie while it is still having trouble with chewing what is already in its mouth. I hope time proves me wrong.

<inappropriate quote removed by moderator>
I didnt get the phone from a carrier . I bought it SIM free .

Angry Birds Roost is pre-installed on every Nokia Windows 8 phone I have seen
Its not the game itself , Its a marketing app designed to get you to buy angry birds
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/angry-birds-roost/88f35e52-8fc1-4afb-acfa-fcdf44909305

Nor did I "blame" microsoft . I mentioned something I know to be correct , and expressed my opinion on that .

<removed by moderator>

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Hope micrsosoft honours android apps on windows based hardware and the ability to still upgrade rather burry it like the iphone burial.

If so then rest in pieces nokia.

Status
Not open for further replies.