Microsoft Nukes 30-Day Grace Period with Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
ZoomComputerworld reports that Microsoft has eliminated the 30-day grace period used in Windows 7, forcing customers to use a legitimate product key immediately when installing the retail version of Windows 8. That's because the upcoming OS handles activation differently, pushing the Redmond company into tossing out the former "evaluation" period.

Typo!

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Crap! there goes my 1-format-per-month plan! :(
I guess that for gaming most of us will just stay with W7

Soo... they want everybody to go along with them, but do not allow them to try first then buy, even when it looks like a completely new, game-changing product?
Silly Microsoft u-u

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
lol.... they are afraid that people will want their money back...that's how much they don't trust their service pack....i will wait and see what happens

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I really don't think MS expects many current Windows 7 users to move over either.

This is all about a big gamble to make a new Windows ecosystem for future tablets and touch devices.

Depending how it works out or not, Windows 9 could be the most interesting OS yet.

G

Meh. Like always pirates will boot up, enter a string like 1234567890abcde1234567890, plug in an usb stick with a crack and remove the activation module before connecting to the internet. This is just another FU for the legit customer. Good job, Microsoft

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]Crap! there goes my 1-format-per-month plan! I guess that for gaming most of us will just stay with W7Soo... they want everybody to go along with them, but do not allow them to try first then buy, even when it looks like a completely new, game-changing product? Silly Microsoft u-u[/citation]
You have the chance to try it with the Release Preview and the Consumer Preview before that. Solid several months of "try it out" time.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
After installation, Windows 8 automatically connects to a Microsoft server -- given the machine is connected to the Internet -- to verify that the user's key is valid. If the key is valid, then Windows 8 is activated. If the key is deemed not valid, then the typical non-genuine ritual kicks in by fading the desktop to a permanent black and displaying a message saying the OS is illegitimate. The PC will then shut down every hour.
What about people that don't have their computer connected to the computer, windows wont activate. And what about people that do have a valid key, but but cant activate cause Microsoft says it not valid. I bet the sales for the retail version are gonna be so low, that Microsoft is going resort to making keys invalid just so people aft to fork out more money for a new key that's valid. What about people who buy an oem computer like dell or hp, what do they do if they haft to replace their hard drive and have no recovery disk, how do they install windows to activate windows online or over the phone if their or a friend's ome or retail disk's require a key before installation.

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
[citation][nom]davemaster84[/nom]Doens't seem to hard to hack, whatever why people should bother even trying? Windows 8 will be worst than vista for sure.[/citation]
Please explain why it will be worse than Vista. No one seems to be able to explain this yet.

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]What about people that don't have their computer connected to the computer, windows wont activate. And what about people that do have a valid key, but but cant activate cause Microsoft says it not valid. I bet the sales for the retail version are gonna be so low, that Microsoft is going resort to making keys invalid just so people aft to fork out more money for a new key that's valid. What about people who buy an oem computer like dell or hp, what do they do if they haft to replace their hard drive and have no recovery disk, how do they install windows to activate windows online or over the phone if their or a friend's ome or retail disk's require a key before installation.[/citation]

Like what 5 people who dont have internet? why would you want all the social integrated media, an app market place, IE10, skydrive, linked accounts etc if you have no internet connection? Your arguement makes no sense. Thats like complaining that your phone would use the cellular connection to set up your account and activate your sim.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]ejb222[/nom]Please explain why it will be worse than Vista. No one seems to be able to explain this yet.[/citation]
he doesn`t know either , he just goes with the herd :) might be that there`s no legacy start button but he just ignores the other performance gains for a button ...guess this is why apple is so popular these days ... looks over anything else.

carnage9270

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Just about every post here is talking about hacking the activation... ridiculous that people think this is acceptable. Regardless of how safe you are in doing so, it's still illegal and immoral.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]ejb222[/nom]You have the chance to try it with the Release Preview and the Consumer Preview before that. Solid several months of "try it out" time.[/citation]
What if some one want's to wait till the retail version to try it, or their current computer is to old to run it and they want to wait till they get a new computer to try it. The only reason Microsoft wont let people install Winhate(8) as a trial is because Microsoft is afraid people will try win7 and winhate(8) to compare them and see that win7 is the better choice, and bam their goes the windows app store straight down the drain right along with winhate(8).

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]carnage9270[/nom]Just about every post here is talking about hacking the activation... ridiculous that people think this is acceptable. Regardless of how safe you are in doing so, it's still illegal and immoral.[/citation]
Sadly there are countries that need computers but the price is quite high ... and thus the need for hacking, in my country for instance many workers have to work 1 whole month or even more to pay for a license and that`s not really acceptable .. apple has cheap OS price but here you can buy cars cheaper than their computers ...

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]ejb222[/nom]Like what 5 people who dont have internet? .[/citation]What about someone who loses their job and haft to choose between food or internet.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
What a coincidence, I plan on nuking my purchasing of Windows with Windows 8.

Everyone knows you buy every other version of Windows. ME/XP, Vista/7, 8/9?. To those who will use Windows 8, thanks for the beta testing for 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.