News Microsoft Offers Possible First Look at Future Windows UI Design

coromonadalix

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Fire these developers and go to Linux variants, the way i see it, will have a crap Win12 version than Win 11, they will find a way to destroy what was good in file management, contexts etc ....

Giroro

Splendid
It is a wrongheaded mistake to think they need to waste more screen space on their terrible spammy knockoff UI. Less pixels need to be used on the interfaces, not more. Did they learn nothing from Windows 8?
I don't need or want an Android notification drawer on a desktop computer. It doesn't make any sense, and would actively get in the way. Did you ever see a popup ad in the 90s and think "I want an easier way to get these ads baked directly into my operating system"?

The people designing Windows 11 simply don't use Windows on a daily basis. Someone in midlevel management is trying to tank the product. There's no other explanation for this continued chain of backwards decisions.
Most companies fire people that openly hate their products, so it's weird that Microsoft apparently makes those people design leads and managers on Windows, instead.

I hate the clipped corners on the task bar, but hopefully it can at least be moved to vertical. There's zero chance I keep windows 11 installed on a computer until they restore such an extremely basic functional customization.

Last edited:

George³

Prominent
Oct 1, 2022
Less pixels need to be used on the interfaces, not more
Caught! It seems a singularly strange minimalist look for the visual representation of an operating system, when the industry and people are mainly looking to the future and forward development, not back to the caves. Contemporary hardware is so powerful that the number of pixels in the operating system interface is not the factor causing poor performance.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Absolutely horrid. Microsoft had it right with "Win10 forever", imo. Watching them constantly reinventing the wheel is becoming a real bore. Would much rather see them concentrate on core file systems and the like, although they are doing some nice things with gaming compression in various formats by letting the GPU handle most things. I like Win11 OK, although I don't see any of the new stuff that couldn't have gone right into Win10. Features like Auto-HDR, for instance, began life in Win10 builds--then Microsoft made them Win11-exclusive. I always thought "Windows" followed by the year, like "Windows 2022", for instance, would have been ideal. Then Microsoft could release new versions every couple of years--while maintaining its current update strategies, etc.

D

Deleted member 14196

It’s all win 10 underneath. From a command prompt type in the word VER you will see the version number says 10.

win 11 is 10 with a newer ui. That’s basically it

Windows 10 forever means they’re just going to continuously develop this off the same code base

D

Deleted member 2783327

I shudder to think of the disparity of how many billions Microsoft has spent on the UI and how little they've spent on stability, functionality and ease of use.

Compared to XP Windows gets uglier by the release (not saying XP was pretty), less stable, and less "mine". Things that could be done in a click now take several clicks. Things are all over the place and this seems an intentional move.

Windows has been on the wrong track for over a decade.

Whoever said "Dumb 'em down and take away control" hit the nail on the head.

George³

Prominent
Oct 1, 2022
I shudder to think of the disparity of how many billions Microsoft has spent on the UI and how little they've spent on stability, functionality and ease of use.

But we don't have any knowledge about that.
Would you be surprised if the cost of the GUI is significantly lower than the cost of the operating system structure, with all its built-in tools?
Let's not forget all the other associated costs, such as advertising, maintaining new and old hardware, and also working on tools for the partner software companies to allow their external to OS applications to work well and securely in its environment.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
It is a wrongheaded mistake to think they need to waste more screen space on their terrible spammy knockoff UI. Less pixels need to be used on the interfaces, not more. Did they learn nothing from Windows 8?
I don't need or want an Android notification drawer on a desktop computer. It doesn't make any sense, and would actively get in the way. Did you ever see a popup ad in the 90s and think "I want an easier way to get these ads baked directly into my operating system"?

The people designing Windows 11 simply don't use Windows on a daily basis. Someone in midlevel management is trying to tank the product. There's no other explanation for this continued chain of backwards decisions.
Most companies fire people that openly hate their products, so it's weird that Microsoft apparently makes those people design leads and managers on Windows, instead.

I hate the clipped corners on the task bar, but hopefully it can at least be moved to vertical. There's zero chance I keep windows 11 installed on a computer until they restore such an extremely basic functional customization.
I whole heartedly agree.

Ever since Satya Nadella came into power as new MS CEO, MS has been heading in the wrong direction in terms of technical capability, technical implementation, UI design, & priorities.

Pre Satya Nadella, I never had to worry about a MS patch causing issues.

Now I wait 7 weeks after each patch for end users to complain about issues.

You can thank Satya Nadella for firing the entire testing division and turning everybody in Dev's (Who are expected to test their product, but in reality, they don't and are lazy to write crap and get it out of the door to look productive).

Satya Nadella needs to be FIRED for the great longevity and health of MS & PC industry.

I whole heartedly agree.

Ever since Satya Nadella came into power as new MS CEO, MS has been heading in the wrong direction in terms of technical capability, technical implementation, UI design, & priorities.

Pre Satya Nadella, I never had to worry about a MS patch causing issues.

Now I wait 7 weeks after each patch for end users to complain about issues.

You can thank Satya Nadella for firing the entire testing division and turning everybody in Dev's (Who are expected to test their product, but in reality, they don't and are lazy to write crap and get it out of the door to look productive).

Satya Nadella needs to be FIRED for the great longevity and health of MS & PC industry.
It's a bit* worse than that, I'd say. The money MS is now making is not on the OS, but the telemetry and information they can gather out of you; plus Enterprise licensing. Windows is now trying to close the gap between it and Android on the consumer front, trying to go all Google and smash those ads on you.

Still, firing your testers is never a good idea, regardless of what/where you're doing/heading with the development XD

Regards.

Drazen

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
It's a bit* worse than that, I'd say. The money MS is now making is not on the OS, but the telemetry and information they can gather out of you; plus Enterprise licensing. Windows is now trying to close the gap between it and Android on the consumer front, trying to go all Google and smash those ads on you.

Still, firing your testers is never a good idea, regardless of what/where you're doing/heading with the development XD

Regards.
Do not forget he destroyed Nokia and MS lost something like 10 - 15 billion$ not counting how much could earn by having Nokia alive.