Question Microsoft Office 2003 with my new build?

zbs60

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
HI All

Yes im an old dude. I purchased Microsoft Office 2003 almost 20 years ago. Ive used my cd to install Office 2003 in may desktops over the years. However, Microsoft isn't supporting it any longer and there were many updates that would never install. I was wondering if my personal data is safe if I use it on a new computer I just built?

I notice there are people on ebay selling installation keys for Office 2016 for less than 10 bucks. I wonder how long those would last before microsoft would shut it down?

I notice there are people on ebay selling installation keys for Office 2016 for less than 10 bucks. I wonder how long those would last before microsoft would shut it down?
Likely indefinitely. They are usually just bulk keys.

There are chances they might not work properly, either now or later on, but I haven't had a single issue with any of the many cheap keys I have bought.

Of course, this will get downvoted as like 1 in 100 people have issues with these keys, so most say you should go and spend 10 times more because of the minuscule risk.

Libre office is a good free program.

Wolfshadw

Titan
HI All

Yes im an old dude. I purchased Microsoft Office 2003 almost 20 years ago. Ive used my cd to install Office 2003 in may desktops over the years. However, Microsoft isn't supporting it any longer and there were many updates that would never install. I was wondering if my personal data is safe if I use it on a new computer I just built?
Not sure you CAN install it on a new computer (assuming a new Windows 10 OS). I know I had issues trying to install my Office 97 CDs on my Windows 7 system. Even if it does install, there are likely to be security issues that haven't been patched in years, so I'd probably accept it as a lost cause

I would say anywhere between 0 seconds and never. You'd probably be better served by using one of the open source options like OpenOffice or LibreOffice. These are almost completely (say 95%) compatible with MS Office programs.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Likely indefinitely. They are usually just bulk keys.

There are chances they might not work properly, either now or later on, but I haven't had a single issue with any of the many cheap keys I have bought.

Of course, this will get downvoted as like 1 in 100 people have issues with these keys, so most say you should go and spend 10 times more because of the minuscule risk.

Libre office is a good free program.

I won't down-vote it as Tom's Hardware just recently posted an article about how to obtain MS Office for Free (or under $50). However, I liken people who make these recommendations to people who say it's ok to drive 65MPH in a 55MPH zone. Chances of actually getting pulled over are slim to none, but if/when you do, somehow, I don't think the judge is going to accept the "Some Guy On The Internet Said It Was OK" defense.

I'm currently using LibreOffice, btw...

-Wolf sends