Microsoft Office software package from Dell

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
i am buying a new computer from Dell XPS desktop special edition, 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8700K 6-Core Processor. However it doesn't come with microsoft office which i have to have. But they are charging around $200 for this bundle extra, it doesn't come with. I was thinking i could download older version of microsoft office that i have on disk from previous purchase 4 years ago. I was told by Dell that it won't work because i already downloaded that once to my old computer and Microsoft will know that and it won't let me install it my new computer.

Please help, what other options do i have ? any free permanent downloads out there ? I am already spending $1450 for the computer, i really can't afford additional expense on software that Dell charges for. i also have to pay $200 for additional warrantee for 2 years.

Solution

You can download the full version to be used with a key. It'll stop working after 14 days otherwise, it functions as a trial without your license key. You can find this by using a program like NirSoft's (free) Produkey on the old system, if possible. Many software programs' installers are available freely online. The...
What version is it? That'd be a fantastic place to start here.
2013 and onward can be registered with a Microsoft Account and easily deactivated from the same source for use on other systems. What version do you need? LibreOffice is a competent replacement if you're really only touching on the basics of Microsoft Office.

Anyhow, elaborate a bit and people can give you useful help.

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

I have microsoft office home and student 2010. i use Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint for presentations. and these are must have programs for me. Only issue with Libreoffice is that all of my work documents and previous work is in Microsoft Word document and Excel doc and it may not be compatible

It seems they don't have a formal de-activation process for this one. With that said, it does have a stipulation (usually) of only 1 concurrent license available at any given time. This means that as long as it's only being actively used on one system, you should not have trouble with reinstalling it.

Keep in mind however that.... MSO 2010 is getting pretty dated at this point. Windows 10 is moving apace, and 2007 (the previous version to 2010) has already been put on the chopping block. If you're a student, I would suggest googling about education offers for MSO - my university lets us get it for free, for instance. The newer versions, in my opinion, are much nicer.

If for some reason, failing a simple reinstall working - If you're not using the intimates of MSO .... LibreOffice is a very good replacement option and totally free. I would strongly suggest looking into it if your fortunes with other vectors don't pan out.

But yea - you should be able to reinstall without issue. MS only tends to take action if suddenly hundreds of people are activating on a single key, but you'll be in the clear regardless, as you can move your license to a new system. Simply don't use it/uninstall it on the old one, as appropriate.

Finding media, however..... well, there isn't really a above-board place I know to link you for getting it anymore, so hopefully you kept the disks or the instructions card for a digital download!

with the retail version of office you can reinstall it to another pc. you cant run both copies at the same time. if there any issue you just call ms support and they help you out. if you look on ebay right now you see people selling older office software. most have been used from office pc or home pc. as long as the pre owner has uninstalled the software it register on your new pc fine. also with dell ask what version of office there selling. you dont want office 365 it a pay to use software. also with office there home/pro and higher version. you have to look to see what parts of office you need. most time your local micro center or staples have a sale of office home. right now amazon has it for 129.00

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
Well this could be a problem. but the Disk for Microsoft office that Dell sent me is on Utilities disk , it looks like. or i may not have the disk anymore. is it also possible to transfer the program from my old computer to new computer ??

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

so you are saying, it is possible to just download the old version of microsoft office from internet ?

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

WOW,,,,,,,,so you can download the full version for Free ?? yea then why should i pay $200 for the new version of microsoft office when the older version from 2012 is just as good for purposes of Microsoft Word, Excel and powerpoint... Right ?

You can download the full version to be used with a key. It'll stop working after 14 days otherwise, it functions as a trial without your license key. You can find this by using a program like NirSoft's (free) Produkey on the old system, if possible. Many software programs' installers are available freely online. The trouble is the licenses, which you need to have ownership of in order to use them - literally the only thing these installers do is let you not have to use a disc you may have lost, but it's the same thing that'd have been on the disc.

You still need to provide it a license key, which it's possible you may not have if the version of office was pre-installed on your old computer. Look into it though. Worst case scenario it's only time you've wasted for trying.

Barring Education discounts, I'll put the skinny out there for you: MSO, of any version, is not free. You can download what you need to install it for free, but this is only a trial unless you can provide it with your license code.

Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan

You can download office from Microsoft directly (see the link in my previous post), but you NEED to enter the product key and have it validated first. Without a product key, you'll have to purchase it again.

-Wolf sends