Question Microsoft Office subscribed and one-time version ?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
If I subscribe to it monthly and sometimes later I do not continue my subscription. Are all my files created and saved still safe?

If I open and edit my office files on another PC with paid or subscribed version of Ms Office, could it automatically backup my files to the cloud (e.g. onedrive) of the owner? I know that there may be something about cloud or synchronization.

I see some websites are selling Ms Office 2019 for a fraction of the regular price on Microsoft official site, are they mostly illegal version?

D

Deleted member 14196

If you subscribe you get one terabyte of space in the cloud to store your documents. You would require a OneDrive application login on any PC that you wish to access your files

All file synchronization is done through OneDrive

Any files you create and save locally will live forever in perpetuity (at least until you delete them) and are fine to open up in any editor that's compatible with the .docx format.

Any files you have on OneDrive will be fine if you're still under the limit of the capacity that's freely available. If you have data that exceeds the free limit, they'll be available for 30 days. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mi...f-my-subscription-expires?view=o365-worldwide

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
libre office is a good free choice but if you need the designer label, you can also use the FREE ms office apps through your browser.

as a side note, the other answer to your question is yes a .docx file will work on any version of office be it the free one, subscription or single purchase option. honestly the subscription is the worst option of them all. you get updates the same with the buy once and use forever option. i'd never get suckered into paying monthly for a word processor/spreadsheet program. that's a waste of money.

if you are a student at all, ask about student pricing from your school. many offer office 365 for free or a very cheap price for the buy once version. usually around $25 if i recall right.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Yes, they are not valid versions or purchases.

Do you have a real need for actual MS Office?
If not, there is a valid free alternative, LibreOffice.
Mostly compatible.

I have been using Openoffice, but from time to time, not so often though, it will crack break for no reason, I never create any large files, only a few text of text document or a few line of spreadsheet. Last night, I wrote five lines of text in spreadsheet it just cracked suddenly and wasn't able to recover at all, I forgot to save. It wasn't reasonable. I don't know if Ms will have less of this issue.

USAFRet

Titan
I have been using Openoffice, but from time to time, not so often though, it will crack for no reason, I never create any large files, only a few text of text document or a few line of spreadsheet. Last night, I wrote five lines of text in spreadsheet it just cracked suddenly and wasn't able to recover at all, I forgot to save. It wasn't reasonable. I don't know if Ms will have less of this issue.
I've had zero issues with LibreOffice.
My main system has MS Office Pro 2019, but that only because I get it from my employer for $20.

LibreOffice on other systems.

But the subscription model of MS Office is a pretty bad idea.

TRENDING THREADS