Microsoft Outlines Fall Creators Update Privacy Improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonDol

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Well, seems a good step forward to improve user privacy but I doubt it will be enough to completely stop using tools like DoNotSpy10 or W10Privacy. Another good thing is that users will be allowed to install the uBlock Origin extension on Edge and which could stop auto playing HTML 5 videos. And why do I care about Edge ? Because is a league above in terms of speed, compared to all the other major web browsers...

It appears to be a step in the right direction. However, if the privacy statement has no real revisions compared to the last one that actually spelled out what it was they collected, then there is no real improvement in privacy, as "minimum" is still a considerable amount, and more than it really needs to be. I see no mention of Cortana's nose being pulled out of everything it is stuck in, nor do I see mention of a way of shutting Cortana off in such a way that it doesn't try to kill the function of the start menu, file searches, and some apps that also seem to be relying on her running (and spying) on your activities.

alextheblue

Distinguished
"although the inability to stop all data collection will still put some sensitive information at risk."

Would you care to back that up with some facts, Mott? No, no I didn't think so.

Despite all the pushback, it's still taken 2 years to reach this level of transparency. How much longer will it take before users can force them to enable all privacy options with full disclosure? They could have done so on day 1, and their unwillingness to do so coupled with cryptic (and creepy) user metrics announcements (Over 82 billion photos viewed within the Windows 10 Photo app.) do not inspire confidence.

In other words you will STILL have to disable/delete a lot of services and apps, set group policies, block access at a firewall/router exterior to the system,. and use the registry to cut back, and even then it will be questionable what is actually getting sent out

fmyhr

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
I refuse to buy an OS that spies on me and shows me ads. These days, I guess that makes me weird. Strange times we're living in...

Roger Wilco

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
I just want them to collect whatever they can for diags. And get rid of any ad crap.
Don't care if they collect all my info, it's not accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.