Microsoft Paid Nokia Quarter of a Billion Dollars to Adopt WP7

Status
Not open for further replies.

beta tester

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
$250 million is not a lot to be paid to destroy your company. Nokia is destroying itself.

The media was sucked into the sales spin of a million Windows Phones sold. You'll find that these were not sold to consumers. They were sold to wholesalers. Shuffled from one warehouse to another to make it look like the Windows Phones were sold when they weren't. It's called cooking the books.

Not really sure if this is really news or not.

It was already reported in March of last year that Microsoft would be paying Nokia north of $1B to adopt their Windows Phone OS.
It sounds like this is just a payment on the $1B+ commitment to me...

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Despite the naysayers, I think Nokia will bring itself back to its former glory. Don't understand why everyone hates Windows Mobile. It's actually really, really good. Where Nokia was lagging was in its software/OS. With MS to focus on that aspect, Nokia can focus on doing what it does best: make phones.

Excellent deal for both parties. I can even see the two companies merging down the road or at least strengthening their alliance even further. Apple is ultra competitive right now. With Nokia and MS together, it'll keep the other honest.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Ranger104[/nom]No smart phones in my home. sounds like wasted money.[/citation]

Don't see why Smartphones are a waste of money. Maybe you don't need it right now, but down the road it will become a necessity in life just like the computer. A smartphone is essentially a pocket computer.

The correct tool for the required job.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Ranger104[/nom]No smart phones in my home. sounds like wasted money.[/citation]

I don't have a waffle maker in my home, but that doesn't mean that all companies who manifacture waffle makers are just wasting thier money and resoarces, there is a market for them.

chiefbox

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Shelling out money to OEM & ODM customers worked for intel for years, and still does today ! If you can't beat Apple or Google, then bribe, I mean subsidize someone to use your crappy WP7 product !!

lca1443

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]I don't have a waffle maker in my home, but that doesn't mean that all companies who manifacture waffle makers are just wasting thier money and resoarces, there is a market for them.[/citation]

I have one, you can borrow it if you would like.

john_e

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Its no different when Microsoft bailed out Apple from going bankrupt. MS gave Apple money in exchange they use Office on their Mac, and Apple gave MS non voting stock. Nokia was going no where comes MS with a cash injection, in exchange Nokia uses MS OS, its a win win for both MS and Nokia.

john_e

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]chiefbox[/nom]Shelling out money to OEM & ODM customers worked for intel for years, and still does today ! If you can't beat Apple or Google, then bribe, I mean subsidize someone to use your crappy WP7 product !![/citation]

Oh you mean just like when Microsoft bailed out Crappy Apple (using your term of crap) from bankruptcy in exchange they use Office on their Mac's, and Apple gives MS non voting stocks.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]beta tester[/nom]$250 million is not a lot to be paid to destroy your company. Nokia is destroying itself.The media was sucked into the sales spin of a million Windows Phones sold. You'll find that these were not sold to consumers. They were sold to wholesalers. Shuffled from one warehouse to another to make it look like the Windows Phones were sold when they weren't. It's called cooking the books.[/citation]
Tin.
Foil.
Hat.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]chiefbox[/nom]Shelling out money to OEM & ODM customers worked for intel for years, and still does today ! If you can't beat Apple or Google, then bribe, I mean subsidize someone to use your crappy WP7 product !![/citation]

Windows 7 , is actually pretty freaking good, and windows 8 will put an end to the toy OS's that we call android and iOS hardware has noww aught up soyou can have truly productive mobile software and windows owns the productivity world. Remember 1984. Apples closed eco-system will do them in again.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
No smarts in my home. sounds like wasted space.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

visiting tom's to leave a post like that , sounds like wasted time...

ruszip1

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
this explaines why nokia dropped meego like a bad habit. whats better then a good free and open sourced operating system? an ok but not great operating system that someone is paying you a $250,000,000.00 to use. thats a crap ton of zeros, and a heck of a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.