News Microsoft Paint and Photos Get A Fresh New Look With Windows 11 Styling

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Remember when they decided to take away the ability to have multiple windows open in Windows 8 until people objected? They seem to think that we all want a simplified tablet/phone experience on the desktop. Hmm... I wonder if they replaced all the furniture in their apartments with carpeted "levels" instead.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Ok, but can they make apps such as the calculator to open fast? On a high-end PC, it shouldn't take one or two seconds to open an app that was near-instant a few years ago.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, but can they make apps such as the calculator to open fast? On a high-end PC, it shouldn't take one or two seconds to open an app that was near-instant a few years ago.

Still under a second even on this older i5 ultrabook. Certainly not as crisp as it once was, I think mostly due to the way it looks now.

Though if you are serious about calculator apps, just download a third party one and point the system to it instead of the default.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Still under a second even on this older i5 ultrabook. Certainly not as crisp as it once was, I think mostly due to the way it looks now.

Though if you are serious about calculator apps, just download a third party one and point the system to it instead of the default.
I don't mean just the calculator, but most accessory apps are way slower than they used to be. Paint, Calc, Pictures all take a while to open ever since Windows 10, while in 7 they were near-instant. It's still useable, sure, but why the regression?

USAFRet

Titan
I don't mean just the calculator, but most accessory apps are way slower than they used to be. Paint, Calc, Pictures all take a while to open ever since Windows 10, while in 7 they were near-instant. It's still useable, sure, but why the regression?
I don't know the issue with your system, but on mine (specs below, Win 10 Pro), those 3 things open near instantly.
Tenths of a second.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't know the issue with your system, but on mine (specs below, Win 10 Pro), those 3 things open near instantly.
Tenths of a second.

I've certainly noticed calculator getting slower to load over the last few years. Still loads quickly, but there is significant stuttering with the fade in mechanic.

I imagine it also relates to your system settings. Classic shell would get rid of a lot of the graphical issues, as would turning off transparency.

Pictures and paint are going to look for images that you might load, would be my guess. All this effort to make things more seamless backfires I think.