Microsoft Patent Application Hints at Kinect Context Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Whargarble!!!! I CAN'T USE AN INPUT THAT ISN'T COMPRISED OF 2D POINTS ON A FLAT PLANE!!!! HOW DARE YOU TRY SOMETHING NEW AND INNOVATIVE!! I WANT MY WIN98 BACK BEST OS EVER WAGGLE MY ARMS WHARGARBLLELELELE

/neckbeard off.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Hold onto the right-click context menu? Hows about holding onto that Start Button too while you're at it, and ditching that ridiculous Metro UI for Desktop users, as well. How many Desktop users actually have a touch screen, anyway? That's like asking how many people had Macs in the 90s.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Hold onto the right-click context menu? Hows about holding onto that Start Button too while you're at it, and ditching that ridiculous Metro UI for Desktop users, as well. How many Desktop users actually have a touch screen, anyway? That's like asking how many people had Macs in the 90s.[/citation]

Hell, while we're at it why don't we just ditch the stupid GUI altogether and go back to the glory days of DOS 5? I mean, if we're all about stopping innovation because you can't be bothered to learn where a new function is, we may as well go full-tilt retro back to command lines.

Or you can reinstall Win98 and live in your little bubble of kainolophobia while the rest of us continue to evolve.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Hell, while we're at it why don't we just ditch the stupid GUI altogether and go back to the glory days of DOS 5? I mean, if we're all about stopping innovation because you can't be bothered to learn where a new function is, we may as well go full-tilt retro back to command lines. Or you can reinstall Win98 and live in your little bubble of kainolophobia while the rest of us continue to evolve.[/citation]
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Whargarble!!!! I CAN'T USE AN INPUT THAT ISN'T COMPRISED OF 2D POINTS ON A FLAT PLANE!!!! HOW DARE YOU TRY SOMETHING NEW AND INNOVATIVE!! I WANT MY WIN98 BACK BEST OS EVER WAGGLE MY ARMS WHARGARBLLELELELE/neckbeard off.[/citation]

i honestly had to check to see if that was just a troll account or not.

metro is a huge step in the wrong direction, microsoft is chasing after people who dont want a computer with this os, and failed to make it better for people who do use a computer. sure you could force us to learn all the keyboard shortcuts, or just make the os do what we are use to, and if people want to screw around with something new, than let them.

either that or just dont put this os out on the computer, because im fairly sure everyone who knows of win 8 right now came to the same conclusion, its for cellphones and tablets only, and the only reason we are getting it is because some tablets are x86.

it will be a great tablet os, but horrific for pc users.
stop taking windows in bad directions, its all we really want.

and kinect is a failure for controlling anything, it has applications, but not in user interface.

Zetto

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008

You kids need to get with the program tbh.
My 90 year old dad has an all in one touch with Win 7.
He loves it and can't wait for the Win 8 upgrade.

Embrace positive change or get left behind, gesture based ui is the future, AND it will be superior to the old mouse/start menu days.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Zetto[/nom]You kids need to get with the program tbh. My 90 year old dad has an all in one touch with Win 7. He loves it and can't wait for the Win 8 upgrade.Embrace positive change or get left behind, gesture based ui is the future, AND it will be superior to the old mouse/start menu days.[/citation]

The world is full of "experts" that can't see past the end of their nose.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
How did most of these "experts" learn how to use touch screens? And these same people love UIs that already dont have a start menu, but if Microsoft changes its the end of the world I guess.

Time to reboot my win 3.11 because why would people even try to get away from the CMD interface that is so refined.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
You have the right to change how you use the Start button.
You have the right to not buy if you dont like it.
You have the right to remain silent and not whine.

G

I'll continue to use Vista on my 5 year old gaming machine, never had any problems with it (got it when SP2 was out).

As a matter of fact, Vista SP2 "IS" windows 7.

If people bashed windows vista so bad because of idiot manufacturers using faulty drivers that made the PC crash, Then in return blacked Vista when it was the lazy developers AKA nvidia, and millions of others. then Windows 8 should be bashed for being utterly retarded on all levels. Windows 8 will crash worse than a drunk driver.

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Hell, while we're at it why don't we just ditch the stupid GUI altogether and go back to the glory days of DOS 5? I mean, if we're all about stopping innovation because you can't be bothered to learn where a new function is, we may as well go full-tilt retro back to command lines. Or you can reinstall Win98 and live in your little bubble of kainolophobia while the rest of us continue to evolve.[/citation]

Sorry but this arguement for metro interface is moronic.

There is a difference between good innovation and bad innovation. No one complained about XP or W7 because they were good innovation. Good innovation drives sales. Bad innovation drives customers away.

Metro is clearly better suited to the less than 1% of windows touch devices that do exist in a currently limited "touch OS" market. In the mean time most mainstream buyers ( laptops and desktops ) will take one look at W8 on their next potential laptop and either not bother upgrading or go to the apple store ( yes they'll be downgrade to w7 options but most people want something that works out of the box with zero hassle).

The biggest loosers of all this could be intel as fewer people upgrade to ivy bridge mobile because they don't like the metro interface. Nevermind. Microsoft will learn about customer choice once they loose enough sales. The tech press has been somewhat forgiving of metro. I doubt the public will be so open minded. The writings on almost every forum wall - if MS can't see it that's their problem.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]someoneelse[/nom]Sorry but this arguement for metro interface is moronic. There is a difference between good innovation and bad innovation. No one complained about XP or W7 because they were good innovation. Good innovation drives sales. Bad innovation drives customers away. Metro is clearly better suited to the less than 1% of windows touch devices that do exist in a currently limited "touch OS" market. In the mean time most mainstream buyers ( laptops and desktops ) will take one look at W8 on their next potential laptop and either not bother upgrading or go to the apple store ( yes they'll be downgrade to w7 options but most people want something that works out of the box with zero hassle).The biggest loosers of all this could be intel as fewer people upgrade to ivy bridge mobile because they don't like the metro interface. Nevermind. Microsoft will learn about customer choice once they loose enough sales. The tech press has been somewhat forgiving of metro. I doubt the public will be so open minded. The writings on almost every forum wall - if MS can't see it that's their problem.[/citation]

i cant talk about windows xp at launch, but i heard it was... not that well received and only got universal love once sp1 came out... i came into it with a new computer with service pack 2.

windows 7, i have complaints about it, but its a 64bit os that has support form almost everything, i didnt have a choice... i still miss xp style cascade and tile options, and hate aspects of aero that seam obvious but dont work the way i want (moving a window to the edge, than pulling it either down or away, the size of the window reverts to what it was before it changed) not being able to easily assign icons to files like i use to, and not seeing an obvious option to lock all folders to a specific view type and only changing when i give the word (granted i havent looked hard), now my favorite, an in os folder size option

or how all the options in windows 7 are organised differently than each windows that came before it, for no reason but change sake.

i have legitimate complaints about the os, but good outweigh the bad with this one.

but windows 8, i just cant see one aspect of that os appealing... for anyone NOT useing a touch interface.

[citation][nom]Zetto[/nom]You kids need to get with the program tbh. My 90 year old dad has an all in one touch with Win 7. He loves it and can't wait for the Win 8 upgrade.Embrace positive change or get left behind, gesture based ui is the future, AND it will be superior to the old mouse/start menu days.[/citation]

by gesture based i assume you mean multi touch, and not kinect like flailing.
i can see use in multi touch in an os, but i cant see it working on a monitor. a separate touch pad, yea, but not a monitor. i can imagine using most programs with some form of touch based commands, but i can not see it working well with a monitor, and i cant see it possible working with the kinect, or probably working with body movements without full vr, or at least a see through head mount display. hell im willing to be that ill be dead before they get body movements in computers down to the point its more convenient than useing a mouse (try playing a kinect game and tell me they are even close)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS