Microsoft Patents Automatic OS Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyboy3210

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
My train of thought normally goes:
Time to shut down for the night...
Yes, I want to close the blasted program...
OMGWT*BBQ, why won't you turn off already??

*Power button held down*

-silence-

Thank you...

[citation][nom]mgoblue3296[/nom]That is one sick flowchart[/citation]

If you want to see "sick" flowchart then look up budgeting of congress and how billions are wasted on miscellaneous spending.

mrmez

Splendid
Whats the big deal in getting your pc to shut off quicker?
Its not like the old days where i have to wait for everything to end and the disks to park so i can turn it off manually? You just click 'shutdown' and walk away.

As for saving open documents etc... i don't know if i want them automatically saved. Why?
Firstly, its likely to put a whole range of docs in the wrong folders, meaning i have to troll through folders and put files in the right places. Secondly, likely to save docs i didn't want saved, creating a whole new level of junk to manually delete.

Again, we have yet to see this implemented and i could be wrong, but it just looks like more fluff to add to the sales brochure to help sell OS's.

G

Sorta like GM trying to patent the ignition switch.... These software patents are getting ridiculous. Wonder when they'll try to patent toilet paper???

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Dang Jane, you're on a roll tonight (or should I say this morning?)! In just a few hours you seem to have single handedly posted more articles than the site generally gets in a day.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
How about instead of a faster shutdown sequence, maybe they could work on a faster startup...? That matters to me more than shutting down (thats what hybernate is for *cough*)

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Normally I find patents like this absolutely ridiculous but I can't see Microsoft suing anyone for using this patent. No, they are probably patenting everything they do to protect itself from patent trolls. I can't see a problem with that. In essence, every silly thing that Microsoft, Apple, IBM, etc patents is one less thing some d-bag patent troll can try to sue the world for.

So I say continue patenting useless nonsense MS. I'd rather the patent be in your hands than in a trolls hands.

randomizer

Champion
I'm not sure what the point is.

1. Click "shutdown"
2. Walk away
3. ???
4. Profit!

Who cares if the PC shuts down in 3 seconds or 3 minutes once you've finished with it? I suppose the only time it matters is when restarting, but Microsoft should redesign their OS model so that you don't need to reboot every time there's a patch for MS Word.

G

Umm..

change WaitToKillServiceTimeout to 1000ms
change WaitToKillAppTimeout to 1000ms
change HungAppTimeout to 1000ms

I can haz PATENT??

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
>> an example of a flawed patent system
Yes. definitely.

Chances of Microsoft filing a patent infringement on every phone/os company that uses autoshutdown gui feature? very likely.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
What's the big deal with with the flow chart? Hear's a freebie Microsoft, feel free to patent this, I don't care.
husker's shut down flowchart:

User clicks shutdown -> Computer freakin' shut's down

You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS