Microsoft Patents Way to Avoid Walking into Sketchy Areas

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1foxracing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Many large cities are already way ahead of Microsoft, if you come across a road named "Dr Martin Luther King Jr Blvd" and your a beloved patriot you know to stay away.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
[citation][nom]twelch82[/nom]How did patents ever get so screwed up that you can patent something that you haven't made, and haven't even delivered a blueprint for how to make? If you can't create the thing in question just from the patent alone, then that patent shouldn't exist.[/citation]

+1

G

Does that mean I now have to pay royalties to use common sense when I walk from point A to point B?

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
It is a path finding algorithm with a few extra parameters. I recognize the extra parameters take work to take into account, and that a product is different than theory, but this is too obvious to patent.

This is a trivial extension of the GPU direction with updates on tragic congestion.

By this standards, you can grab any problem from an algorithms book, add a few parameter and presto, you have a patent.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Well if they are going to earn money off this, then it is only fair that if this thing were to points you to an unsafe route where you might get hurt, injured or killed, then I think it is only fair that you be able to sue their ass.

G

I am going to patent the opposite. A hooker locating pedestrian walking direction generator that leads you to the place where you can most likely find hookers based on security information, terrain information, and Craigslist.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]It is a path finding algorithm with a few extra parameters. I recognize the extra parameters take work to take into account, and that a product is different than theory, but this is too obvious to patent.This is a trivial extension of the GPU direction with updates on tragic congestion.By this standards, you can grab any problem from an algorithms book, add a few parameter and presto, you have a patent.[/citation]
If those "extra parameters" have a meaningful impact on the function of the algorithm, then yes, you can. The algorithms in your textbook are so dead simple, however, that they're basically already as good as they're going to get. If you want to patent a new search algorithm, it's not going to be an extension of bubble sort.

I really don't get the nearly universal hate for this on this site. Yes, it's obvious you want to avoid bad neighborhoods, but if it's so obvious as to not be patentable, why does no GPS use this kind of information? If it's so damn obvious, somebody would be doing it already. Microsoft isn't patenting avoiding bad neighborhoods, they're patenting a GPS using crime information to give directions that avoid bad neighborhoods.

Totally different, but don't let that stop you from making repeated "zomg micro$oft patented common sense" comments. Not that it would.

Namey

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
So strategically place all your raping and murdering in order to guide the victims through your neighbor hood. Then take their loot. It's the perfect plan.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Imagine if you live in one of those areas... going anywhere will say "helicopter recommended" and going home will say "we recommend sleeping under this bridge, just 3 miles away".

mohsh86

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
it seems a -robbed while leaving the club Microsoft drunk employee- came up with this idea to compensate his loss lol

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]If those "extra parameters" have a meaningful impact on the function of the algorithm, then yes, you can. The algorithms in your textbook are so dead simple, however, that they're basically already as good as they're going to get. If you want to patent a new search algorithm, it's not going to be an extension of bubble sort.I really don't get the nearly universal hate for this on this site. Yes, it's obvious you want to avoid bad neighborhoods, but if it's so obvious as to not be patentable, why does no GPS use this kind of information? If it's so damn obvious, somebody would be doing it already. Microsoft isn't patenting avoiding bad neighborhoods, they're patenting a GPS using crime information to give directions that avoid bad neighborhoods. Totally different, but don't let that stop you from making repeated "zomg micro$oft patented common sense" comments. Not that it would.[/citation]

They didn't patent an algorithm, nor any special parameters. Basically they just patented the concept of an app app that gives you walking directions based on crime rates and the weather.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
What happens when US patent office grants all kind of silly "patents" like gestures ect is that the US patents office looses creditability and who wants a patent office that is worth water in the eyes of the rest of the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.