News Microsoft Pauses Windows 11 22H2 Rollout Due to Gaming Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

pf100

Commendable
Feb 18, 2022
So I need to create an nVidia account and install GFE to fix the issue for now?
Nvidia already fixed the problem so it doesn't matter whether you have GFE installed or not. If you never had GFE installed, and it sounds like you didn't, then it never was a problem in the first place. If you read the article, directly under the title it says "Nvidia has already issued a fix for gaming performance degradation, but Microsoft still needs to address the root cause. " The fix they issued was an updated GFE. The way GFE interacted with 22H2's newly exposed gpu debug was the problem.

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
They still don't know what's causing it. I've managed to find at least 10 other random people with slow performance, hanging, and micro stuttering. Tabs take a second to load. This is happening with ALL apps and games even with the latest nvidia drivers, no GE, and with Windows apps such as Task Manager. Rolling back 22H2 fixes the problem. My Windows Update recently started showing this update is held back for us. (Ryzen 5900X, RTX 3080, 32GB, SSD, no Geforce Experience)

zecoeco

Prominent
BANNED
Sep 24, 2022
So i decided to give W11 22H2 a try.. I freshly installed the OS, optimized all settings for performance and privacy, removed extra unwanted software and I set it up as my daily driver.
So far performance wise, it is similar to W10 in application performance, but there's a slight animation delay that is sometimes noticeable, and its not as snappy as W10.
So I was kinda fade up with the performance hit and I wanted more performance, so I switched back to W10 22H2 after using W11 for 1 month.
When it comes to gaming, performance is sluggish and inconsistent. W10 is much better for 1% FPS and it just feels snappier and faster in every click.
I love W10 bc its simple, fast, no nonsense features and gaming performance is noticeable better. W11 feels unnecessary.. yeah, i know it does look better design wise, but functionality/stability is what matters the most to me.

Vanderlindemedia

Prominent
Jul 15, 2022
Microsoft used to have a team that would thoroughly test patches, updates or even service packs before releasing it out to the public. These days you pretty much signup to their agreement that you become a beta tester. How many times after a pushed update i lost work, data or ended up with a BSOD on a monday morning.

Ive disabled updates in their complete. Once in a while i update it. But not after a proper backup. Its just insane. We paid for a OS.

Vanderlindemedia

Prominent
Jul 15, 2022
After the first instance of "lost data", anything lost after that is all on you.

Where is your backup procedure?

What does that have todo with it? I leave my pc in the condition it is in and the next morning things are lost, gone or messed up due to a update. Do you think that's my responsibility or is the cluster microsoft is pushing due to not enough of internal testing?

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFRet

Titan
What does that have todo with it? I leave my pc in the condition it is in and the next morning things are lost, gone or messed up due to a update. Do you think that's my responsibility or is the cluster microsoft is pushing due to not enough of internal testing?
Not having a good backup routine is simply irresponsible.

Data can be lost in many ways other than a screwed up OS update.

But in the case of a bad update, you can get it back.
Just like in the case of a physically dead drive.

But, it is easier to blame MS, rather than be proactive with your own info.

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Myself i never ever delay updating, soon as an update is released or a new OS, it's always installed first day of release. One i'd go nuts knowing an update is out and i don't have it installed, 2 been a habit of mine for years to be fully up to date immediately on everything. Only really had a few issues with Battlefield 2042 since manually upgrading soon as 22H2 was released to Consumers

Been on Windows 11 since October 5th 2021, updated to 22H2 soon as it came out as well

No major issues experienced, Everything up to date, including Geforce Experience

So guess will just relax til Microsoft releases the fix, or if requires clean install in the future, then will do that, but for now gonna enjoy the performance as is

Reactions: purple_dragon
Nov 12, 2022
The Geforce experience issue and this one are completely unrelated. The GFE update fixed one issue very early on after release but as myself and others can confirm, it doesn't resolve some of the stuttering and lag issues that the update introduced. This looks like Microsoft finally realising something else is wrong.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
It's been quite a while since Windows 11 was released, I'm absolutely floored they still have all these issues considering how close it is to Windows 10, and that Windows 10 does not have the same issues on the newest build.

If I had the time I'd love to get the insider build of Windows 10 and give that a test.

passivecool

Honorable
Jul 18, 2017
So it is no secret that @USAFRet has a tiny chip on his shoulder about data security and backups. And we should all be thankful for these ultra annoying individuals who will just not desist in strewing salt in the wounds of our shortcomings, for our own good. Excuse me while i go check my settings ....

That said, it is difficult for me to accept that scrum development seems to have lead to higher productivity, but also more churn and lower reliability. IMHO it needs to be reconsidered what is release and what is beta. And the stack from bios to os to software needs to be synced in a much more robust way.

Sure, if you WIN and mail and surf in the tepid office baby pool then life is in pampers . Pack an adobe suite on the top of it and nvidia studio drivers - and i am sure there is much worse - then wonder why html emails no longer render, or why gpu 3d rendering suddenly = bspod. OH! Because the studio driver is not compatible with the bios, of course. This is the kind of sh*t i don't want to have to deal with, whether 3% more can be squeezed out of the system this week or next year is irrelevant to me.

USAFRet

Titan
So it is no secret that @USAFRet has a tiny chip on his shoulder about data security and backups. And we should all be thankful for these ultra annoying individuals who will just not desist in strewing salt in the wounds of our shortcomings, for our own good. Excuse me while i go check my settings ....

That said, it is difficult for me to accept that scrum development seems to have lead to higher productivity, but also more churn and lower reliability. IMHO it needs to be reconsidered what is release and what is beta. And the stack from bios to os to software needs to be synced in a much more robust way.

Sure, if you WIN and mail and surf in the tepid office baby pool then life is in pampers . Pack an adobe suite on the top of it and nvidia studio drivers - and i am sure there is much worse - then wonder why html emails no longer render, or why gpu 3d rendering suddenly = bspod. OH! Because the studio driver is not compatible with the bios, of course. This is the kind of sh*t i don't want to have to deal with, whether 3% more can be squeezed out of the system this week or next year is irrelevant to me.
I dislike borked up OS updates as much, or more, than the next guy.

But we all know it happens sometimes.

Given that, being proactive about protecting YOUR data is simply a no brainer.

Sorry if you feel differently.

Reactions: King_V

umeng2002_2

Commendable
Jan 10, 2022
Lets put things into perspective here. MS has Win10 running well. Then Intel probably paid MS a good amount of money to say that a new OS is needed for their BIG.little CPU design instead of just updating the kernel or something in Windows 10. Now MS has a buggy OS... again... with a worse UX. MS, clearly, just wants to spit out "features" to win some marketing rat race.

D

Deleted member 14196

We’ve had zero issues with our folks client pc. I use mostly server 2022 which shares their windows 11 code base

server 2022 rules

D

Deleted member 1353997

SURPRISE STORY TIME!
John once used a pedestrian crossing to cross the road without looking out for traffic and got run over by a car whose driver wasn't paying attention. As a result:
  1. John died. His life was his own responsibility - always has been, always will be - and he lost it when he failed to assume responsibility for it.
  2. The car driver was sentenced to rot in prison for all eternity for having failed in his responsibility to respect traffic laws and watch the road. But John didn't care. He died, after all.
Don't be John. Be smart. You could die for any number of reasons, including cosmic rays flipping the wrong bits, ransomware encrypting your life, updates gone wrong, your cat knocking your cup of coffee over, a burglar stealing your heart, your house burning down, etc.

If your data is important, BACK. IT. UP. It's YOUR responsibility and no one else's.

Reactions: Makaveli
Status
Not open for further replies.