News Microsoft Pours Billions Into ChatGPT Creator OpenAI

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
ChatGPT is currently awful for anything other than a bit of banter.

The brute force approach machine learning uses, which involves mass gathering of human behavior or human writings, means a ton of unreliable data creeps in. The claim some are making that these machine learning "AI" algorithms get better over time, is something I have never once seen proof of.

There is a tremendous amount of data going into these machine learning algorithms, and no one is able to explain how exactly they will filter out all false data, without a small army of people spending decades painstakingly going through all the data.

AI seems like hype, without any evidence it has a future in any sector.

SonoraTechnical

Reputable
May 28, 2020
meh.... i dismiss anything where someone feels the need to use 'democratize'.... buzz word puff piece.....

can't we just focus on healthcare, cleaning up the environment, and improving food production systems for everyone on the planet? why does humanity need to get so distracted? why can't we focus on important basic needs.

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
This is a very smart investment on the part of Microsoft. You're going to see ChatGPT leveraged in all kinds of chatbot scenarios in the business world, integrated directly into things like Teams and Sharepoint.

For those who would rather see the world feed itself, step outside and head to the nearest corner bum and spoon-feed him yourself. You can even borrow his heroin spoon if you forget your own.

For those talking down to AI, I'm sure you know better than Microsoft and it's 10bn.

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Of course there are a number of companies, which want to automatize as much as possible, including customer service, to save money by having fewer employees. When the IT experts don't have much a clue what i.e. good customer service actually is, then even a way smarter AI won't necessarily know either though. And if there happens to be some form of bug, with which e.g. all invoices for the month turn out to be wrong, then there is a need to pay someone to fix it.

But hey, if some people love the idea of giving an AI access to the chemical storage closet, while also letting it cook, sure may be kind of fun (in a dark humour sort of sense).

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The brute force approach machine learning uses, which involves mass gathering of human behavior or human writings, means a ton of unreliable data creeps in. ...

There is a tremendous amount of data going into these machine learning algorithms, and no one is able to explain how exactly they will filter out all false data, without a small army of people spending decades painstakingly going through all the data.
The process of manually creating a "ground truth" is one that's long been employed. Amazon even has a service called Mechanical Turk, for doing just that sort of thing.

However, a much more efficient approach is to use tools to do at least a coarse pre-sort of the data. You can use simpler models or even more classical machine learning techniques for this.

AI seems like hype, without any evidence it has a future in any sector.
I'm curious on what basis you're making this judgement. Have you actually searched for examples where deep learning is delivering the goods, or do you presume you would somehow "just know" if it were more than hype?

There are already numerous areas, such as computer vision, in which deep learning has soundly out-performed classical methods. It's supercharged technologies like face recognition, which have been around for ages, but were too innacurate to deploy on large populations in any but the most controlled circumstances.

If you're willing to set aside your preconceptions, I'm sure you can find many scholarly papers comparing deep learning has either outperformed classical methods or solved problems that have defied prior approaches.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
can't we just focus on healthcare, cleaning up the environment, and improving food production systems for everyone on the planet? why does humanity need to get so distracted? why can't we focus on important basic needs.
Technology enables all of those pursuits to be tackled more efficiently. Healthcare is a major area of application for deep learning, as is agriculture, and I'm sure even recycling. These are big challenges, and we need to use all of the tools at our disposal.

Also, there will always be some problems experienced by some people, somewhere. I don't think it's feasible to "fix the world first", before doing anything else. Investments in science and technology especially shouldn't be subordinated to humanitarian aid and welfare, because then we'll never get ahead of the problems causing that suffering. If you're going to complain about misspent resources, maybe turn your criticism towards spending on warfare and opulent luxury?

Reactions: jp7189

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Kinda bugs me that this is going to be tied up in Azure, if I'm honest. I have to wonder if the reason they went for it has anything to do with Musk needing the cash.

Maybe Nvidia will provide "AI as a Service", with similar sorts of networks. Even better would be to just have a completely open source alternative that's decoupled from any particular hosting service and you could just run locally, or on the cloud platform of your choice.