Microsoft Profits Down First Time in 23 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Office 2007 isn't loved like 2003 was, Vista isn't loved like XP, Windows 7 is making more people wait to upgrade, and even in server environments, 2003 R2 is still the reliable standard over 2008. They're failing right now, which combined with the global recession and the trend towards smaller ultra-portables, it's not a fun year for Microsoft. But they need to get shaken up, reduce complacency, and get back in the game.

2010 will likely be much better for them.

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Its called development spending. Win 7, MS's new Campus Mall. Giving money to Africa (possibly pirates, wouldn't that be hilarious).

Doesn't matter to me anyways, I don't buy MS products. Do I use them? Well yeah, but Linux is the best thing since sliced cheese so I don't use it for a OS personally.

I do play a Xbox 360. Yeah, it has a failure rate but stupid Sony has failed to impress with the PS3 and the Wii. Man, its exactly like owning a gamecube (it collects dust). When will Nintendo realize what they had with the N64 as far as 3rd Party support.

stryk55

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
This is a true indication of the rough times the global economy is in. Its interesting because Microsoft, more than almost all software and tech companies, are more globalized and as such have a more diverse customer base. When the earnings drop, it shows you that the world economy is spending whole lot less.

If Microsoft is hurting, the world is hurting.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Pretty sure that $1.5 Billion less net income compared to last year can be attributed to the numerous lawsuits Microsoft had this year, like the multiple from the European Union, and that $300 million one from the guy who patented product keys.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Many people are waiting for windows 7..... this could be a factor.

Bill will have to start eating kraft dinner seeing that MS only made 2.98 billion profit over a 3 month period. He may also have to start driving a used car instead of his limo. I am sure that he will make the sacrafices needed.

Not too bad considering the economy.

Good for Apple as well.

ceomrman2

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Just like Joe the Plumber, you've confused profit with revenue. Microsoft's profit did not shrink for the first time ever. What shrunk was year over year quarterly revenue. FlayerSlayer called it generally correctly. Xbox is a minor product line, money-wise, and Zune is in fact irrelevant. Both projects are much more about Microsoft's brand image than profits. Servers may or may not be getting "more Linux" but Microsoft's sales of products for servers were up 7% and profits for the division were up 24%, the best of all the divisions, so Linux is certainly not gaining ground unless its sales went up even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.