News Microsoft Provides New Performance Tips for Windows 11 Gamers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've said in all Win11 threads: the hill I choose to die on is taskbar at the top. Microsoft took that away from me. I cri.

And no, I don't want to fiddle around with register entries for something that is, currently in ALL, previous versions, just a mouse click and drag.

Regards.

D

Deleted member 14196

Well, I wouldn't call an i3-10100Y with 8GB RAM, in a Surface Go particularly "high powered".
You were right on my home pc I installed 11 and it’s fine. Must be the hardware at work

D

Deleted member 14196

If I were to judge things by performance of my work PC, I would put Win 7 and 10 somewhere below stone tablets are far as speed and usability.
I think we just have to upgrade the BIOS on this workstation and then it will support TPM 2.0.

I think, without that at the core things will run like crap. Once that is done, I will remake the VM so it will be proper and retest.

I had to update my home computer BIOS to V008 for the bee link GTR-S pro 3550H. It runs windows 11 just fine.

I decided ultimately to just upgrade and keep all of my settings because it was fully debloated and now it’s still the debloated and very fast. I just kept all my settings, and it worked perfectly to my amazement. My menu bar is still in the same place. I always want it to the left.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Eh, how good or bad each OS is/was gets extremely exaggerated..
Win 8 as an example above, MS just changed the default to an easier to use for touch devices UI and the desktop user, having the benefit of a mouse, had to click ONE tile to get to the known old desktop and you can read above how that gets exaggerated.
Win 8 was very good from the start, people just hated the metro UI.
Vista had some stability/compatibility issues in the beginning was also fine when it got mature.

Vista was bad because software wasn't prepared for UAC and LUA, hardware drivers weren't all there. Once SP1 rolled out, yeah, most everything was fine. Vista SP2 and Windows 7 were practically identical. Windows 7 SP1 had a few good enhancements if I recall.

Charms UI, they got sued out of calling it Metro by a UK transit agency of all things.

Windows 8 hate wasn't an exaggeration in my experience. Knowing where to click was the problem and getting people used to a desktop OS to use mobile features, not so good. It probably would have worked better a few years later when smartphones and tablets became even more common.

MS gave us some pre-surface Samsung tablets to convince us it was a good idea to buy Surfaces. The first Surface had extreme issues switching between routers in a corporate network, so we skipped them.

8.1 UI was just a subtle shift to a hybrid Charms and Start Menu, and they have basically stuck to that, which is good.

I only had a few minor complaints with Windows 10. I would have liked for them to have maintained two modes, one for desktop and one for touchscreen enabled desktop. The new menus and the continuation of that trend in Windows 11 just doesn't sit well. As someone else mentioned, there is less stuff in each menu and the options are obfuscated. The things you actually want are now 2 or 3 extra clicks deep. If they could get search working properly again, that would be nice, but more often then not it routes you to the new menus or some place on the internet.

Almost forgot the lack of Administrative controls for the Windows 8.1 and 10 start menus. By default, app store/xbox, etc front and center even on the Enterprise edition. No way to modify by policy or settings, so we had to remove and arrange the tiles manually on our system images before deployment, updates would occasionally put things back.

I do see where MS is coming from, most people do just launch programs or run apps in browsers. And more and more everything is becoming SaaS and cloud based. I spend at least half my workday in a browser. Seems it is only professionals that spend any time actually using Windows.

Last edited:

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
My crappy work laptop is a low end Dell from six years old, but Win 11 runs on it flawlessly and just as well as Win10 did. But I guess talking about different OS's is like talking about flavors of ice cream, opinions vary and there is surely one palatable variety for everyone.

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Almost forgot the lack of Administrative controls for the Windows 8.1 and 10 start menus. By default, app store/xbox, etc front and center even on the Enterprise edition. No way to modify by policy or settings, so we had to remove and arrange the tiles manually on our system images before deployment, updates would occasionally put things back.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Win10 default start menu. That was a pain in the ass on work computers, I was going through the same crap, manually removing links to Xbox etc. What a pain.

Oct 12, 2023
I tried installing Windows 11 on my laptop. The installation took some time but there are still a lot of bugs. Forget about games but even basic programs were crashing. I watched few videos on YouTube and am now planning to reinstall it once again. I think Windows 7 was best when it came to a smooth experience. Hope Microsoft resolves the bugs as early as possible.

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Win 11 crashes are exceedingly rare, I don't think I've ever witnessed one, at home or at work. What kind of laptop is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.