News Microsoft Provides New Performance Tips for Windows 11 Gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.

washmc

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
That sounds familiar. They are playing their greatest hits!

Prior guidance:
Stay on Win7 as long as you can
Stay on WinXP as long as you can
Stay on Win98SE (or Win2000) as long as you can
I really do wonder why it is that only every other version of windows is decent and the in betweens are always bad... XP, 7, 10 all were pretty good, Vista, 8, were bad, I haven't tried 11 much myself but I know some people complain about it. Same with Server versions

Reactions: boe rhae

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
I really do wonder why it is that only every other version of windows is decent and the in betweens are always bad... XP, 7, 10 all were pretty good, Vista, 8, were bad, I haven't tried 11 much myself but I know some people complain about it.

Yeah, I haven't had to tangle with Win11 yet, but I am past-due on a new build so I know I am going to get to learn the ups and downs of it soon enough. I have read that Win11 security has been kneecapping gaming performance, so it looks like the adjustments in this article aren't juicing Win11 but more accurately giving it the performance of Win10.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Microsoft discusses the implications of toggling off these security features but now appears to officially approve of them being turned off – at least during a gaming session.

Microsoft Provides New Performance Tips for Windows 11 Gamers : Read more

Hopefully we will see some gaming/OS benchmarks sometime soon with these settings turned off, Windows - Linux. MacOS perhaps too, but same-hardware might be a challenge without using a Mac tower as the base hardware, which would be entirely doable.

With games out there now that will run on all three, ought to be interesting.

Last edited:

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I hope the rumors of Windows 12 in late 2023 or early 2024 turn out to be true and that Microsoft makes significant usability improvements over Windows 11. Using Windows 11 reminds me too much of how annoying 8 and Vista were to use. Annoying interfaces, low information density, too many clicks to get to stuff, and some performance regressions. These tips to extract more gaming performance from Windows 11 don't address the core issues of UI design problems.

Sep 1, 2022
i like windows 11. runs well and has enough polish to keep me happy. turned off that virtual machine crap in the bios upon first boot. have to research core integrity but it seems like that can go too. if i get attacked by something norton 360 can't handle then i raise the white flag anyway. windows/microsoft is certainly not going to help...

Reactions: KyaraM
D

Deleted member 14196

Tip #1: stay on Win10 for as long as you can.

No more tips :LOL:

Regards.
So I’ve been using windows 11 quite a lot and a virtual machine and I have to tell you this thing is a giant pig. I can run any version of server on 2 GB of RAM with only two CPUs and it blows the snot out of this thing.

I can run a windows 10 VM with two Cpu and 4 GB and it spanks windows 11 regarding any performance metric you choose

I highly advise everyone to stay away from windows 11 and wait for the next one because this operating system is absolutely the worst thing that has ever come out of them. If I have to stay in the Microsoft world, I am going to start using server 2022 or later when available.

for instance, it takes windows explorer several seconds to open when it takes about a microsecond to open on windows 10 or server 2022. How can this be tons of bloat added? Yep, it’s pure garbage and I advise people to stay away from it especially if you’re gaming.

I will not ever be installing windows 11 because it’s pure garbage. It is detestable in every single way, especially the user interface.

They’ve made it so that you need a super high power supply and a super high powered video card so they can go get stuffed

Last edited by a moderator:
So I’ve been using windows 11 quite a lot and a virtual machine and I have to tell you this thing is a giant pig.
for instance, it takes windows explorer several seconds to open when it takes about a microsecond to open on windows 10 or server 2022.
That's like saying that a PC without anti-virus is better because it doesn't check the files you open so it's faster...
If win11 sees a virtual filesystem and does security checks to make sure there is no funny business going on then that's a good thing.

Reactions: KyaraM and drajitsh
lol ... so the tip is disable security features to get more performance (https://prod.support.services.micro...d=_kjcittm3ackfbzkbl3z69ompam2xqpbiz3azxhzk00)

From MS post:

"Windows provides choice and control for users to configure their PCs to meet their specific needs, including the ability to turn Windows features like Memory Integrity and VMP on and off. "

So we are able to turn off important security features that involve (among others) checking the drivers signature, but not other features that only change the look and how the user interface work?

"Gamers who want to prioritize performance have the option to turn off these features while gaming and turn them back on when finished playing. However, if turned off, the device may be vulnerable to threats. "

Tell me Microsoft, what gamers does not want to prioritize performance ?, but not many would want to do it at the cost of a security risk, even if its a small one.

hannibal

Distinguished
Win11 has been really stable! I would say better than win10. But still time to wait, but no real reason to wait anymore. First big updates has come out already, but waiting to spring is still also ok, to be sure if you hapen to have a little bit older machine.

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
I've been using Win 11 on my gaming PC (Ryzen 5600X & RTX3070) and work laptop since day one. Haven't had any issues that I've discovered. I must try some benchmarks with these two things on and off and see what the difference is, if any. I didn't have any issues with Win10 either, but it was nice to move on from it.

Reactions: KyaraM and RodroX

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I really do wonder why it is that only every other version of windows is decent and the in betweens are always bad... XP, 7, 10 all were pretty good, Vista, 8, were bad, I haven't tried 11 much myself but I know some people complain about it. Same with Server versions
Oh, I know the answer to that one. Because whenever there is a new version there is somebody on the team who feels the need to fix something that is not broken. The best was with the original windows 8 when they decided that actually having "windows" in an operating system called "Windows" was not needed anymore.

Eh, how good or bad each OS is/was gets extremely exaggerated..
Win 8 as an example above, MS just changed the default to an easier to use for touch devices UI and the desktop user, having the benefit of a mouse, had to click ONE tile to get to the known old desktop and you can read above how that gets exaggerated.
Win 8 was very good from the start, people just hated the metro UI.
Vista had some stability/compatibility issues in the beginning was also fine when it got mature.

KyaraM

Admirable
I don't get the hate for 11. At all. It's very stable and I notice no performance differences between 10 and 11, and if there is one, it is a positive one in my case. I do get the complains about having to click more to get to changing settings, but that's the only thing that annoys me, and honestly. Is it really so hard to do a single click more?

D

Deleted member 14196

lol ... so the tip is disable security features to get more performance (https://prod.support.services.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/options-to-optimize-gaming-performance-in-windows-11-a255f612-2949-4373-a566-ff6f3f474613?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=kXQk6*ivFEQ&ranSiteID=kXQk6.ivFEQ-iCTLnowjwdlMbDoIQ3A6LA&epi=kXQk6.ivFEQ-iCTLnowjwdlMbDoIQ3A6LA&irgwc=1&OCID=AID2200057_aff_7593_1243925&tduid=(ir__kjcittm3ackfbzkbl3z69ompam2xqpbiz3azxhzk00)(7593)(1243925)(kXQk6.ivFEQ-iCTLnowjwdlMbDoIQ3A6LA)()&irclickid=_kjcittm3ackfbzkbl3z69ompam2xqpbiz3azxhzk00)

From MS post:

"Windows provides choice and control for users to configure their PCs to meet their specific needs, including the ability to turn Windows features like Memory Integrity and VMP on and off. "

So we are able to turn off important security features that involve (among others) checking the drivers signature, but not other features that only change the look and how the user interface work?

"Gamers who want to prioritize performance have the option to turn off these features while gaming and turn them back on when finished playing. However, if turned off, the device may be vulnerable to threats. "

Tell me Microsoft, what gamers does not want to prioritize performance ?, but not many would want to do it at the cost of a security risk, even if its a small one.
This. Win 11 is a Pig. Why does it take so long to open windows explorer compared to windows 10? And comparing it to server 2022 it takes forever to open windows explorer server 2022 is like lightning. All of you saying that you don’t notice the difference. Well you must be pretty dullard in the mind.

yeah, others can tell me there’s no difference but Microsoft just told me there was because if you don’t disable security you can’t game properly lol what a POS

oh, and all the extra clicking you have to do is moronic and I detest it. I have work to do I can’t be playing effing games.

like I said, before, I will stick to server platform from here on out. Server 2022 shares Windows 11 code base. It is also way faster at everything and I’m not kidding. You should try it for yourself.

I will only ever use windows 11 to test our software products and that’s it

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFRet

Titan
Why does it take so long to open windows explorer compared to windows 10? And comparing it to server 2022 it takes forever to open windows explorer server 2022 is like lightning. All of you saying that you don’t notice the difference.
That's a very good question.

Why does it take "so long" for Explorer to open up, on your system?

Seeing as other people do not have that problem, maybe the cause lies elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 14196

In vm. Compared to all other vms. Opening windows Explorer on a large share drive takes forever except on Windows 10 it doesn’t and on window server 2022. It’s lightning fast so the question persists. I’ve even given the windows 11 VM for Cres and 8 GB. Compared to two and two for server.

why would all the others perform in a stellar fashion and Windows Eleven is a dog? I’m not paid to figure this stuff out. I just know I’m never going to use it.

seems the only ones without having problems are the ones running it on high powered systems, which is BS

I'm running windows 11 on a weak CPU that isn't even supported, the g4560, with 8Gb of ram and it runs the same as win10 did.
I'm just guessing but maybe VMware hasn't updated the support tools yet. (vmware tools)

I been considering installing Windows 11 to play around on my HTPC with Athlon 3000G, 8 GB (2x4GB) of RAM and a entry level SATA SSD.

After reading your post I think I will go ahead when I get some free time.

Status
Not open for further replies.