Microsoft Pushes Out Back To Back Windows 10 Preview Builds, Promises Surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Alas, as one of the minority of people who use Media Center, it sure would be nice if that was the surprise, but I think we all know that is unlikely. Its a shame though. I would glady pay a little for the option to buy it so i wouldn't have to skip another version of Windows. So far, thats the only way to make all my htpc software work together in one, nice, 10 foot experience. At this rate, looks like I'll be rocking 7 for a long while yet. Sometimes, it sux to be different.

ash0573

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Alas, as one of the minority of people who use Media Center, it sure would be nice if that was the surprise, but I think we all know that is unlikely. Its a shame though. I would glady pay a little for the option to buy it so i wouldn't have to skip another version of Windows. So far, thats the only way to make all my htpc software work together in one, nice, 10 foot experience. At this rate, looks like I'll be rocking 7 for a long while yet. Sometimes, it sux to be different.

ash0573

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I dumped media center for Plex ages ago but I presume you have a cable card in your HTPC and that's why you are keeping it.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I dumped media center for Plex ages ago but I presume you have a cable card in your HTPC and that's why you are keeping it.

Actually,I dont have a tuner card. I use Total Media Theater for bluray and dvd playback, MyMovies for collection management, GameEX for M.A.M.E. games, AnyDVD to put my bluray and dvd's on hard drives(in there native format, uncompressed of course) and IMon software and hardware to work with a Logitech Harmony900 ir remote control(no mouse or keyboard required). All these things are MediaCenter plugins, which allow them all to work together quite well, in a '10 foot' experience

Giroro

Splendid
Reading this.... are you saying that the previous web browser was so bad it lacked even the most baseline features like a home button, ability to play audio while downsized, lack of ability to move opened pages to new windows .... and most ridiculously it couldn't display .gif images?

Aren't we less than a month away from the entire OS supposedly being completely finished? Yet they are barely getting around to adding what I would consider key and basic functionality that every other web browser has had forever. I was all set to pull the trigger on the free upgrade, but the thought that they are still so far from even getting something as small as a web browser modernized has me legitimately rethinking things.

I think what is more troubling, is that a web browser missing those features sounds a lot like a mobile web browser. This makes me fear that they never cleaned house and that the Windows team still has the utterly wrong "mobile first" priorities that made the Windows 8 GUI such an unusable pile of garbage in a desktop environment.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
@ 10162 now and it actually has fixed most of the issues i had with previous builds. Cortana and Edge work fine now. they haven't changed\fixed the solid white Windows folder theme and i am very disappointed by that, but everything else seems to be coming along nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.