Microsoft Pushing Patch to Snuff Out Win 7 Pirates

Status
Not open for further replies.

tat2demon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Eh, it'll work for a week, then someone will find another crack. The never ending cycle. Sometimes you have to wonder if its worth the trouble of trying to beat the hackers.

toxxel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Does this mean people doing a full install with "upgrade version" changing a registry key to activate with no error will now have problems? Or is this only for cracked versions of windows to get around activation and or spoofing it?

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
MSFT not making enough money, should have given 7 to everyone that got sucked into buying Vista, like tat2demon says:The never ending cycle, we the consumers get shafted again, look at what DRM has done for us, MSFT sells music and makes a bunch of cash and then shuts down the servers, games that use SecureRom, limited installs and playing issues, notice it is the legit consumer that is burdend with this crap, there is a NOCD patch for games to ease the problems, the never ending story

Core2uu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Is there a reason that a legitimate user would want to decline the update?[/citation]
Why would there be? Even if you install it and you have a pirated copy of Windows, it doesn't actually do anything other than make your desktop background blue and tell you that it is non-genuine. You keep full functionality otherwise.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
i bought XP cause it was revolutionary compaired to ME that i was coming from, and i will soon buy OEM 7 when i build my new gaming pc.

For now i am on my bought XP Pro cause win7 beta is running out soon :)

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]Core2uu[/nom]Why would there be? Even if you install it and you have a pirated copy of Windows, it doesn't actually do anything other than make your desktop background blue and tell you that it is non-genuine. You keep full functionality otherwise.[/citation]

yeah but it would still be annoying and no doubt this will also install framework where they can shut you down remotely or add an automatic shutdown every 2 hours or something like that

Core2uu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ordcestus[/nom]yeah but it would still be annoying and no doubt this will also install framework where they can shut you down remotely or add an automatic shutdown every 2 hours or something like that[/citation]

Why do you even care? If you have a legitimate copy of Windows you don't have to worry about it anyways and if it bothers you that much you can just reject to install it. Microsoft isn't trying to shove it down your throat; it's completely optional.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Once it validated your copy as legit, why does it need to run again afterward? After all, if your copy was validated as genuine, why would you want to run any activation exploits on your legit installation? The reason does not stand any logic, that's why I suspect ulterior motives in pushing this update. And that's why I will avoid it, even though my installation is genuine. I don't like sneaky stuff. MS has to give us the real reason why this app will continue to "phone home" long after it's purpose has been accomplished.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
It actually removes 0 functionality even the background can be changed back to whatever you had before. The only thing that can;t be removed is the "this copy of windows is not genuine". This happened to my budy over a month ago and he's still getting updates.

Silicon Jesus

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Is there a reason that a legitimate user would want to decline the update?[/citation]

I don't see the reason why a legitimate user would want to accept the update. It sounds like something that would do nothing for me except use resources. Even if the resource usage was small, what's the point?

dmwright

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
As pointed out earlier, a legitamate user would have no worries downloading the update, while those using exploits would in the end be the only ones downloading all other updates except that specific one. Quite interesting as Windows will have a rough count of the number of legal/illegal copies of windows on the market. But, in the end I'm guessing this focuses on the internet cafe's and such that use illegal versions of windows, since they have recently been talking about "Rental" Versions of their software.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I wonder if this will detect the BIOS OEM hacked versions, from what I recall of reading about them is that they store the key in the BIOS and its the same key for all systems from say Dell or HP. I am fuzzy on the details but I seem to recall that it was nearly impossible to tell a legit install from a fake one when done that way. Since OS wise there is not a single bit or byte changed. Either way its all trivial the price of 7 is so cheap and worth it that I doubt piracy is a huge issue.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Edit: Searching around google WAT has already leaked onto the net and of course the hackers have already broken it.... So it lasted ummm -5 days? Thats got to be some kind of new record or something.

G

For those who don't know how the Windows7 exploits generally work:

Windows7 READS AND WRITES DATA TO YOUR BIOS IN ORDER TO AUTHENTICATE YOUR COPY OF WIN7 (kind of intrusive, huh?)

the exploit: a modified version of the popular GRUB bootloader of Linux fame impersonates the BIOS and intercepts communication to/from the BIOS, fooling Windows7 into thinking it just accessed the BIOS.

I can see this turning into "zero tolerance for Linux dual-boots", since Windows has a long history of screwing any other bootloader installed on a system. Ever since Linux came around, if you install Windows on a Linux system, guess what? Linux no longer works.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]L337_ubuntu_enthus1a5t[/nom]For those who don't know how the Windows7 exploits generally work:Windows7 READS AND WRITES DATA TO YOUR BIOS IN ORDER TO AUTHENTICATE YOUR COPY OF WIN7 (kind of intrusive, huh?)the exploit: a modified version of the popular GRUB bootloader of Linux fame impersonates the BIOS and intercepts communication to/from the BIOS, fooling Windows7 into thinking it just accessed the BIOS.I can see this turning into "zero tolerance for Linux dual-boots", since Windows has a long history of screwing any other bootloader installed on a system. Ever since Linux came around, if you install Windows on a Linux system, guess what? Linux no longer works.[/citation]

Actually Windows 7 does not write anything to the BIOS, other then that everything else is correct.

shortbus25

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Who cares people who have hacked win 7 probably dont dl updates anyway just let it ride on the install + crack hope for the best while us the paying users dl and install and enjoy a problem free working program free of all problems!! "Yeah I probably wont install seems every time they fix something they mess something else up". Mine ran better when I installed and first patch had to call and get reactivated. Second time I got an update screwed video driver up and had to reinstall anyway then you guessed it had to call and reactivate again im done with installing not gonna change till win 8 July next year!!

Status
Not open for further replies.