Microsoft Re-Releases Windows 10 October 2018 Update With Big Bug Fix

hannibal

Distinguished
I have KFR and no problems. Os the estimation can be true. But there Are so Many Windows devices out there that even that small persentage causes problem to a huge amounth of peoples! Ofcourse the update has to be postponed! Keeping it would have caused the loss of files to tens or hundred of thousends users...

If Microsoft counts half the world's population as using Windows then ...

7,632,819,325 / 2 = 3,816,409,663 x 0.0001 or 381,641 people having said issue, which for comparison is about the population of the city of Tampa, Florida.

If they can be as precise as 1 hundredth of 1 percent then why not just give the actual number that they reported as having the issue?

Else you have people on tech sites estimating their actual total with hopefully wrong variables.

Hey Microsoft, While you are at it on "Fixing updates" How about to don't reset ALL THE NETWORK SETTINGS BACK TO DEFAULT ON EVERY UPGRADE!!! This way I don't have to have 50-100 people calling me every 6 months because stupid things like duplicate printers show up, or their file sharing isn't working any more (No password file sharing). Comon.

Because not that many people installed it. It was probably a small amount compared to total Windows 10 user base as you had to manually start the update.

Every update I did in my network had no issues. No duplicate printers (they are shared via a print server), no issues with shares and all network settings were the same. Even my desktops static IP was the same.

Maybe you need to rework your network?

Captain boomerang

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Well its nice to be part of a experiment where my password wouldnt even allow me to login to recover my system... Surely MS should stop being so eager to release these updates and pay those who find these issues for wasting and inconveniencing their users?

Oct 11, 2018
Well, maybe for you the loss of audio isn't a problem, but I need sound to do my work! It's been 2 - 1/2 hours and I still can't fix my sound!

every SINGLE PC that has done every Fall/Spring update that I know of that has windows 10 will have its Sharing Settings changed. IP, etcs are fine but it ALWAYS turns back on Auto Add network devices (Which gives me duplicate printers) and change other sharing settings (not removing them or anything). It just seems to set the network and sharing center back to default every freaken time.

Oct 9, 2018
Great! But I already upgraded and "my doc" are gone...
Of course without back up - I have no idea I need that! And for a few days was searching on good software. Recovered with DiskInternals software (Uneraser). They have a discount for software all October. Maybe, for someone that information be helpful.
PS Back up! Doesn't matter that they fixed the bug. Don't trust them blindly.

who in this world of computing still uses the hdd to save any vital files... plug a usb drive or NAS drive and re-direct your document/download etc. folders to those drives and you will NEVER have "deletion issues... ( yes its a functionality of your windows to do that as a matter of fact)

as for calculating 1/2 population of earth using windows 10. I think that number is way off, and your not considering everyone that has more than 1 device in your calculations ( I have 7 computers with windows at home, how many do you have?)

Network issues after each updates... that sounds more like an administration configuration issue than an operating system issue as ALL your computers are doing it, then All your problem have a common issue. Your networking administration rules.

1. Your average user has no clue when its coming.
2. Enthusiast have a clue, but the way it rolls out, they can't pinpoint exactly when... so they (but not all) tend to be lazy.
3. IT Pros have the greatest advantage, but if your workplace has hundreds of PCs, you're not backing up individual machines, just the shared/network drives. Its too much work otherwise and IT (infrastructure in particular) still suffers the "necessary evil" view because of failure to recognize its input into cost savings, to invest the resources to backup each machine. (Even if they did, its still resource intensive and expensive.)

Are you using GPO or some other setting to auto add printers based on AD membership? We don't do that. We have the printers on a print server and then add them to the required systems and not one system has had any duplicates added on their own.

The problem is that the people who this affected manually pushed the updates and it turns out at some point in time changed the default file location which looks to have caused the issue. So they are not average users.

These updates are the same every year. Spring update launches in April and Fall in October. Normally you can manually push it the first week and then it slowly deploys to everyone and not all at once. This issue was found before the auto-deploy so anyone who did it had to either go to Windows updates to check as they wanted it or use the Update Assistant to pull and install the update.

They should do a backup before hand if they are manually installing it. If this was the week of auto-deploy then yea I would understand but it wasn't.

tim.hotze

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

Well, considering that for some users, the issue was their OneDrive, which they used to back up files, WAS what was deleted, people might be understandably pissed.

Additionally, MS may recommend that users do this, but if they were serious, they'd add it as a prompt when asking to install an update ("Backup, install update and restart" or something).

Oh, and most importantly: Non-tech savvy users have been told to update their system to keep it safe for well over a decade, and for a lot of users, it's finally hit home. It doesn't occur to them that they aren't doing the right thing by applying every update (and some non-tech savvy users might even check for updates out of an abundance of caution).

I can fully understand automatically applying security updates automatically and with minimal user consent, but given the issues MS has had with its last few feature updates, they really need to separate patches vs. major updates that can cause problems.

Read the notes for the re-release. It was an issue with people who have used Known Redirected Folders. They changed the default user folders and that's what caused the issue. It wasn't just people who used OneDrive.

Still never rely on one method for backup. Always have multiple, two minimum three is ideal (two physical with one in a safe secure place and an offsite backup)