Microsoft Re-releasing Windows 10 October Update (1809) Today

Ctrlx

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
"....The October Update was a surprise in that Microsoft didn't test it with it with the Windows Insider Program's Release Preview ring..."
...it with it with?

stdragon

Admirable
So it is the exact same build re-released prior to be pulled, or does it have the subsequent patches now rolled into it?

It would be awful silly of them to release it again as-is only to be officially supported with patching it via Windows Update after the fact.

I mean its pretty obvious that they would be releasing a newer build version that has the patches rolled in rather than the old build version unpatched.

The original version was Build 17763.55 the re-release is Build 17763.107.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

Did you run the troubleshooter? My system had the issue and running the troubleshooter later in the day of the fix solved it.

I ran update today and some new stuff came through. Alas, I'm still having issues with the newest Nvidia drivers. The system acts as though a driver is hanging. Then the screen(s) switch on and off, then I get a bsod stating some issue with part of the Nvidia driver package. So, I guess I'm stuck with a month old driver till MS gets it's act together on this, or maybe Nvidia's the issue...... *shrug*

WildCard999

Titan

Ran the troubleshooter a few times and tried restarts (more troubleshooter) without any luck. The key is a upgrade from a legit Win7 Pro that I tied to my MS account when I made the upgrade to Windows 10. At this point I'm running Home instead of Pro which is fine for now but I'm kind of hoping that maybe once this is resolved that the system will upgrade via Windows update it back to Pro without me having to do a reinstall.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
WildCard999, I didn't do the switch to Home, I just left the pro as was, and then when the troubleshooter ran, activation occurred, and the watermark I was getting went away. I shall join you in hoping that Windows upgrades you automatically, as having to call MS is a pain, I can only imagine.

WildCard999

Titan

Well after making the swap to Home I no longer have the activation error so for now I'm going to keep it as is. As for calling it's not too bad via the self service call. Maybe once they get this fixed I'll make the swap back to Pro but I know the differences are pretty minimal between the two versions. I also did check my MS account online and it did say that my account does have Win10 Pro so I'm not too worried about losing it. It's not like I have files to lose, only game saves which most are on a Steam/Uplay/etc cloud type service. The only annoying part is the reinstall (OS & games) but even that isn't too bad as the system has a good SSD and my internet is pretty quick and at least my motherboard BIOS/drivers stays up to date.

WildCard999

Titan

I already did a clean install of Home, is there anyway I can do a update to get Pro back or do I need to do a clean install of Pro?

stdragon

Admirable

Need to do a clean install of Pro since the HW profile was "upgraded" to Pro on the MS key management back-end.

WildCard999

Titan

Ok, thanks.

Oct 25, 2018
I installed 1809 on three of our desktop computers when it was first released in October without any problems at all. (Of course, we don't keep documents in the default location - we always put them on the "D" drive.) What I want to report however, is that all three computers have been running better than ever with release 1809 - so far it's been the most stable, kink-free Windows 10. So there is hope for others that with the two known problems fixed, you'll soon be able to enjoy the stability of release 1809. And no, I do not work for Microsoft.

I can agree with this. My work bench went from OK, even with an SSD, to pretty snappy.