Microsoft Recruits College Students To Crank Out Win 8 Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]unpolished software from thee likes of college kids who have skill but no experience.[/citation]
At least it's better than business students with no skills or experience writing apps ;)

[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]Just give up Microsoft because Windows 8 is pure trash.[/citation]

Pure trash? No. Metro does not equate to an entire OS becoming pure trash. That would be like saying Linux is pure trash because it does not have the compatibility and support that Windows does.

Windows 8 is infact great, but the UI is drastically changed which is the only real negative; you can always use WinStart to restore the old start menu(while retaining the ability to use Metro if desired).

This sort of program is actually a great idea. I went to school with a lot of electrical engineers with tons of programming experience (pretty necessary for the degree), and they all had great app ideas that they wanted to develop. A few of them actually are working for MSFT now.

jintonic

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
I go to college for C #. Problem is, Microsoft never came to my school to invite me or anyone I know to help out on this.

G

Downloaded Visual studio Express for windows desktop, OMG flat monotone POS, Full of bugs, I guess microsoft wants us to debug their crappy code for them, RTM my A$$. Windows MixUP IDE it what they should call it, beacuse microsoft changes the GUI so often! When microsoft says release to market, I will forever think FDT, flush down toilet! Took a while to uninstall too, as 21 other software items where installed to support it! Microsoft, your one size fits all marketing will be your downfall!

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
They're really trying so hard lol. For every 1 recruit they get for this NERD program, there's probably 10 Apple "Geeks" and 100 Googlers writing code for their preferred platforms.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Why do I need an app for Toms Hardware, Ebay, or Disney? What's wrong with using a web browser? I just don't get it. I don't see why everything needs to be an app or have an app. I completely understand things like game, calculator, or calendar apps though.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
MS doesn't need half a million Apps running at launch, x86/x64 Windows already has 6 million+ programs and that buries the Google Play or App Store
I am sick of this obsession with apps - they are programs, deal with it

Koolg

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Google and Apple has over 600K apps, right??? Has any of you donkeys ever given a thought how many of those apps does the same thing? you will have 100s of apps just to light the led of your phone... And also among you, how many Donkeys has ever installed more than a 100 apps on your phones? By the way am not a windows fanboy, I got an s3 and I happy with it....

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]MS doesn't need half a million Apps running at launch, x86/x64 Windows already has 6 million+ programs and that buries the Google Play or App Store...I am sick of this obsession with apps - they are programs, deal with it[/citation]
None of those are designed for small touchscreens and none of them even run on ARM based windows tablets.

Microsft desperately needs "apps" if they want to get into that market.

camel82

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Oh, let me say how excited I'm to see coming out applications that
- will be designed to run full screen, one at time, stealing all the focus like in the '80s and like all the full screen software I hated in the last 30 years
- will be thought for a 5" touch rather than for my 23" non touch monitor (I'm not Mr Fantastic)
- that will communicate with other apps through a new proprietary API that has not sustained a bit of analysis in the wild yet rather than the all the way applications used to communicate since the beginning of the time
- that will treat me like a minus habens hiding me the filesystem
- that will be distributed only after authorization of the monopolist, and best applications can be removed if they do things bad to M$ - p2p, competition to their software, search/ads/social other than Bing/MSN or whatever they will courteously like to authorize.

Let me say how excited I'm to enter Bob 2.0 era

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]None of those are designed for small touchscreens and none of them even run on ARM based windows tablets.Microsft desperately needs "apps" if they want to get into that market.[/citation]
Not designed for does not mean they don't work at all, they don't "need" them to get up and running, if you needed a perfect system right from the launch day then Apple wouldn't have pushed out it's turd of a Maps program

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]camel82[/nom]that will be distributed only after authorization of the monopolist, and best applications can be removed if they do things bad to M$ - p2p, competition to their software, search/ads/social other than Bing/MSN or whatever they will courteously like to authorize.Let me say how excited I'm to enter Bob 2.0 era[/citation]
This will only happen if x86/x64 compatability is removed - which it isn't and likely never will be - the market will dictate which platform dies and which survives and the RT vs Win8 Pro will go the way of Win8 Pro, so you can stop having a heart attack

leaderWON

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
*sigh* maybe i'm just old school but ive never got the whole app craze when 99% of app functionality can be accomplished using just one "app". my phone's web browser...

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
ahh....what would a Tom's Windows 8 story be without a chorus of comments from retrogrades expressing how they don't want computing to stay the same for ever and ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.