Microsoft Redefines ''PC'' to be ''Personalized Computing''

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... MS is sad now... nobody anticipate the next thing from them... the rumormill for google and apple is working overtime, but M$ is trying to put trends that most of users don't want... there is no wow in M$...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
PC has meant personalized computing for a while now, almost everything is customisable from the skin to the ayout to the actual hardware. OK for those that thing it means the death of the ATX tower case then that already happened too, I have a HTPC I use for XBMC that is 10 times more powerful than my first ATX tower PC
PC is not dead, but maybe ATX is on its last legs

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... MS is sad now... nobody anticipate the next thing from them... the rumormill for google and apple is working overtime, but M$ is trying to put trends that most of users don't want... there is no wow in M$...[/citation]
I have to agree with what you said. Microsoft has been stagnant for far too long (since Ballmer). I think this fall will be a make or break moment for them. I fear it will be a break based on 8. I'm in IT and our CIO has stated we will not be migrating to windows 8. This is a first, we adopted every thing in the past right out of the gates.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
They couldn't have been more incoherent if they wanted to. This is the Microsoft that removed the possibility to bypass the Metro start screen in Windows 8 (required making a file and putting it on the task scheduler), making you have to pass through it every single time before going to the desktop. Sure, they want you to look at tiles every single time you boot your computer and hopefully buy something from the store.

Ironic that it 's third parties like the ones that make Classic Shell that put the Start Menu back as an option. Don't take credit for "personalized computing", Microsoft, it's third parties that are giving people more possibilities to customize their work environment as they want.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]sheepsnowadays[/nom]Sorry but PC will always mean personal computer[/citation]
Your phone is a personal computer, you mean ATX don't you... just say "yes"

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]Don't take credit for "personalized computing", Microsoft, it's third parties that are giving people more possibilities to customize their work environment as they want.[/citation]
Third parties have always been the ones giving you customizability and MS fostered that by allowing anyone to write software for Windows, nothing is changing here

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Can someone please explain to me how MS can claim "PC" now means "personalized" when MS does not allow it's users the ability to "personalize" their own computer with the desktop UI of the users choice? Instead MS forces it's users to accept that the Metro/Win8 UI is what is best for them. That doe not sound very "personalized" to me.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
"Microsoft has a platform for all types of computing devices" All platform types my a$$. When Winhate(8) comes out retail and Win7 is no longer available the only platform Microsoft is going to have is tablets and phones.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]Can someone please explain to me how MS can claim "PC" now means "personalized" when MS does not allow it's users the ability to "personalize" their own computer with the desktop UI of the users choice? Instead MS forces it's users to accept that the Metro/Win8 UI is what is best for them. That doe not sound very "personalized" to me.[/citation]
+1 This!

astonerii

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Ironic how they argue personalized and then prevent people from enabling the start button in windows 8... Does not sound very personalizeable to me.

IDK why people freak out about this. Same people that have built their own PCs over years and years again, thus defining the notion of "personalized computing".
I also KNEW just by reading the subtitle that this must be another PC=doom by Gruener. Lo' and behold, once I clicked on the article my prevision came true.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Why get your panties in a wad over this? Its obviously a push back for the people who claim this is the 'post pc era'. They are simply trying to keep the term 'pc' relevant even if its a flaccid attempt. This is a counter measure to Apple and the tech writers who continue to say its a 'post pc' time in computing.

At least that is what this means in my opinion.

I call BS. At the end of the day, if I can hit a switch (hardware or software) that shuts it off, it's a Personal Computer. I may not be able to personalize it much at all (e.g. GPO restrictions, Microsquishy's limitations, etc.) but it is still personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.