Microsoft Releases Kinect for Windows Hardware, SDK

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jryan388[/nom]It's not compatible with the xbox sensor? Fail >.> Costs 2x as much? Fail >.>[/citation]
[citation][nom]Darkerson[/nom]In regards to all the enhancements over the original, I could understand maybe $150, but $250? No thanks![/citation]
They make money selling the games. So it's easy to sell Kinect for 360 cheaply, because people will buy games for it. The PC version? There AREN'T any compatible games yet! Nor are there really any "regular joe" applications for it. Kinect on PC, whether using a not-so-well-supported Xbox Kinect with beta SDK OR using the new hardware and SDK, is in its infancy.

As we see more software supporting it, especially game titles, the price will come down. We may also see Kinect-compatible sensor arrays integrated into laptops and monitors. So unless you've got early adopter syndrome, chill out.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
No thanks. I'll wait until this product is integrated with existing or future webcams. That shouldn't be too far away. The last thing I want is another big box on my desk.

I do love the idea though of Kinect, maybe moreso for video games, though.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]They make money selling the games. So it's easy to sell Kinect for 360 cheaply, because people will buy games for it. The PC version? There AREN'T any compatible games yet! Nor are there really any "regular joe" applications for it. Kinect on PC, whether using a not-so-well-supported Xbox Kinect with beta SDK OR using the new hardware and SDK, is in its infancy.As we see more software supporting it, especially game titles, the price will come down. .[/citation]

Of course the reverse is also true and maybe TRUER. If a product costs a lot and no one buys it then no one will ever make applications for it. You have to have a demand before you get a lot of developer interest. Few people are going to program something so that 5000 people might buy it.....

To me Microsoft is really screwing up with this by not bringing it out at a lower price point and by not decreasing its size somewhat and by not making it X-box compatible. You add the three together and you end up with stale bread.

I love the idea of Kinect but at $250.00 I'm going to pass and wait for a 3d party product to do the same thing for 1/3 the cost.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom] So unless you've got early adopter syndrome, chill out.[/citation]

I dont remember anyone getting particularly wound up. Just annoyed by the price. But if you think its worth $250, then by all means. Have fun with that!

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
well, if it comes with software to control my win7 machine, then maybe i'm interested. but if it only ships with the hw and nothing else, not so much. :p

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
250$, 150$ or even 50$, who here would buy one? It's not a gaming product this time around. It's not even a end-user product. It's meant for companies, enthusiasts, students, researchers to to create innovative uses to the technology. Sure, some games will probably pop up now and then, but that's not the goal for Microsoft. You're not paying only for the device, you,re also paying for the constant update in the SDK.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]250$, 150$ or even 50$, who here would buy one? It's not a gaming product this time around. It's not even a end-user product. It's meant for companies, enthusiasts, students, researchers to to create innovative uses to the technology. Sure, some games will probably pop up now and then, but that's not the goal for Microsoft. You're not paying only for the device, you,re also paying for the constant update in the SDK.[/citation]

So its fail then. Students aren't going to pay $250 for something with limited use. Some companies might buy, although I think that at your average company its going to be a hard sale, I can only imagine people who do high end presentations being particularly interested (just so they can act cooler by changing the power point slide with their hand). But that really is a tiny fraction of the marketplace.

It seems unusual to me for a company like Microsoft which makes its bread and butter targeting the average consumer, making a product like that.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Ok I see now 149 for qualified educational purchasers... its still a stretch to think that college kids or even more unlikely high school kids are going to buy this thing. If you make it fun, then college kids might buy it. But if they have a choice to spend money on a developer tool versus on say beer.. then I don't see it. You might be able to sell a few to some school districts for presentation purposes, but most of the ones who would buy it already use MACs.... so I don't see that being a big market.

DEY123

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
I have an HTPC. I would consider replacing my remote with this if it was cheaper then $250 (assuming it allows me to interact like a mouse and a remote). Then again it's not like the remote is hard to use.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]azathoth[/nom]I can hardly even imagine what people may come up with using FOUR sensors in a surround setup![/citation]

think indi games... where do they fail the most... the way i see it the biggest failure they tend to have is when they are 3d games, because they just cant handle realistic 3d animation.

a quad setup would be able to get every angle almost of a 3d model (barring aquard poses)

you could also set up 4 sensors all on a face, or all on a hand to get all of the detail possible.

you could probably write a program that could get you facial animation better than what most games have, but less than what la noire has, all on a 1000$ budget...

you could also have detailed hand animation and such, and could probably scan in 3d objects and have them pre mapped, sure it wouldn't be perfect, but it would save a crap ton of time.

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]250$, 150$ or even 50$, who here would buy one? It's not a gaming product this time around. It's not even a end-user product. It's meant for companies, enthusiasts, students, researchers to to create innovative uses to the technology. Sure, some games will probably pop up now and then, but that's not the goal for Microsoft. You're not paying only for the device, you,re also paying for the constant update in the SDK.[/citation]

Who would buy one? I run Linux rather than Windows, and I want to buy one! (The Linux kernel is ahead of Windows with drivers for Kinect already existing. :) )

This is the interface of the future.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]alcalde[/nom]Who would buy one? I run Linux rather than Windows, and I want to buy one! (The Linux kernel is ahead of Windows with drivers for Kinect already existing. :) ) This is the interface of the future.[/citation]
What are you going to do with it? Toy around, maybe build a small UI to control some apps, but what else? the fact is, for now, it's not a end-user product.

I'm aware that the Linux community have been developping drivers for a while. Now MS is gonan provide Windows users with a whole SDK. Let's hope it can be imported easily into Linux!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Funny thing is, when Kinect first came out they said it was not intended for Windows and people went ape-shit trying to write software for it, now that MS has endorsed it for the PCF and pushed out an SDK people are having a proper moaning session at MS
Make your mind up, do you want Kinect for the PC or not?

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Funny thing is, when Kinect first came out they said it was not intended for Windows and people went ape-shit trying to write software for it, now that MS has endorsed it for the PCF and pushed out an SDK people are having a proper moaning session at MS...Make your mind up, do you want Kinect for the PC or not?[/citation]yes when it get below $100, ever think of a situation where both ur hands get oily while eating snacks? Thats here u need Kinect to keep ur keyboard/mouse clean!

beachbod

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I think its great. It is pretty expensive though which will hinder adoption.

Another thing, I dont think microsoft will get any royalties for software/games that use the kinect as some people have suggested. Do webcam companies make roalties from software that uses their webcams? Speaker manufacturers from artists that play their music on their speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.