Microsoft Releases Out-of-Band Patch For IE Vulnerability

Status
Not open for further replies.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Too bad people still use old IE's, too bad Microsoft did such a bad browser; but that's nice of Microsoft, launching a critical update to defunct software, unlike most companies that just don't care.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]steve360[/nom]IE should be renamed to Swiss Cheese. It has that many holes.[/citation]
MS had to make it like their NSA co-authored OS, aka Swiss Cheese. But all those built in back doors for the FEDS come at price. Want security use Linux

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Actually this was the first serious IE flaw in a long time. We have not had any virus's exploiting an IE flaw here at work since 2007. Flash player since 2010, Java seemingly every month (if only those website admins would stop using Java for their content...)

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Well, they were faster than i expected.

[citation][nom]bourgeoisdude[/nom]Actually this was the first serious IE flaw in a long time. We have not had any virus's exploiting an IE flaw here at work since 2007. Flash player since 2010, Java seemingly every month (if only those website admins would stop using Java for their content...)[/citation]

On the positive side, Javascript <> Java. The javascript engine from Firefox and Chrome is far more secure than Oracle's JRE. Worst thing, almost everytime Oracle patches a bug, it introduces a vulnerability, and viceversa. There was a small bug in windows JRE6 than if you were running a java application and then shutdown windows, the application hanged and you had to force close it. They never fixed it, simply saying tham to solve it, upgrade to JRE7. Piece of *** software.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I'm not a fan of M$ or IE by any stretch of the imagination but exploits happen to every browser with a decent market share.
Micro$oft was made aware of a problem and came up with a patch. What else should they have done ?
It's not as if Firefox, Opera or Chrome are perfect; as a web developer I -have to- use all 4.

What buggers me far more that I can have a relatively simple page layout with a few tables and basic CSS and it still looks different on all 4 browsers. Try to explain that to a client !

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]What buggers me far more that I can have a relatively simple page layout with a few tables and basic CSS and it still looks different on all 4 browsers. Try to explain that to a client ![/citation]

Done several websites and its more demanding to know what functions work in what browsers than know how to do the html/css/php/sql ect. Its absurd really!

f-14

Distinguished
i blame this on every new model of java that comes out enabling more ads then video ads then video ads with sound, ever time a new version of flash player/java comes out it creates new exploits that were not designed to be protected as they didn't exist when the browser was built, get rid of java and flash and 99% of your exploits are fixed.

the blame rests squarely on adobe and sun micro for piss poor programming.

were i microsoft, i wouldn't take the blame for flash and java software i'd issue patches that disabled their programming until such a time as they passed quality testing or fixed their own exploits. i would further include a pop up in IE that kicked in every time warning users their shoddy flash or java software could be exploited by any hacker or script kiddy do you want to allow this action.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Vorador2[/nom]Well, they were faster than i expected.On the positive side, Javascript <> Java. The javascript engine from Firefox and Chrome is far more secure than Oracle's JRE. Worst thing, almost everytime Oracle patches a bug, it introduces a vulnerability, and viceversa. There was a small bug in windows JRE6 than if you were running a java application and then shutdown windows, the application hanged and you had to force close it. They never fixed it, simply saying tham to solve it, upgrade to JRE7. Piece of *** software.[/citation]Java lately has been driving me crazy. When I come home and turn on the PC, there's yet another Java update needed.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
On the positive side, Javascript Java. The javascript engine from Firefox and Chrome is far more secure than Oracle's JRE.

Javascript and Java are not the same thing. Javascript is a scripting langauge used to add logic to web pages while Java is a compiled langauge that requires a plugin runtime environment similar to flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.