News Microsoft Releases PC Manager Beta to Optimize Windows Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, it also nags you to change your browser to Microsoft Edge.

So once again Microsoft is STILL trying to push users to switch to its own Edge browser, forcing them to change their default browser ? Pretty annoying move, if you ask me.

And I never understood why MS is always in the habit of forcing customers though. They have even forced users to upgrade their Windows OS as well few years back when Windows 10 came out, unless I'm mistaken.

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
It's all about consumer control and having an industry monopoly. IME all Microsoft products are beta and consumers are the unpaid testers of these defect riddled products. The belief that it's acceptable to have defective code because there are "millions of lines of code" is irrational and irresponsible - which is the whole point.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I think I'll stick with BleachBit and regular old Disk Cleanup for getting rid of temp/cache files and Memory Cleaner for the rare occasion where I feel like trimming how much RAM is being used without closing things.

D

Deleted member 14196

Just don’t use it. Period. I won’t be. I’ve already optimized windows and I don’t need any help.

this is just garbage software like that cleaner software people use

I’ve got work to do and I don’t like playing games on the PC with management software

So once again Microsoft is STILL trying to push users to switch to its own Edge browser, forcing them to change their default browser ? Pretty annoying move, if you ask me.

And I never understood why MS is always in the habit of forcing customers though. They have even forced users to upgrade their Windows OS as well few years back when Windows 10 came out, unless I'm mistaken.
Because the books the support people follow are all for MS software only, so if you (not you you but in general) are using something else they can't help you and that adds cost.
They are a business and they do need to streamline all they can.
It's all about consumer control and having an industry monopoly. IME all Microsoft products are beta and consumers are the unpaid testers of these defect riddled products. The belief that it's acceptable to have defective code because there are "millions of lines of code" is irrational and irresponsible - which is the whole point.
/s
Exactly, they should release one OS once every 20 years because that's how long it would take to make sure everything runs well with a team of hundreds of people.
/s
Just don’t use it. Period. I won’t be. I’ve already optimized windows and I don’t need any help.

this is just garbage software like that cleaner software people use

I’ve got work to do and I don’t like playing games on the PC with management software
Have you ever thought about there may be people less comfortable with an OS than you are?! Did it ever cross your mind?

Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am all for it. Not for what it can do but just so a native Windows feature can help drive out the third party "doctor" software infesting on the non-tech public. Like 99% of those are malware.
I agree with this message. Can it then be decided ccleaner is a pup :)
How are Norton going to make any money if Microsoft fill in all the gaps.
Now to get rid of driver updaters that install the wrong drivers.

The Edge reminder is a small price to pay. It tying into defender won't help me as I don't use Defender.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So fixing bugs is anti competitive now?
Why should you have to maintain the life support of vultures?

Norton can just turn on the crypto add on as a default option. They soon make money again.

Oct 2, 2022
I am all for it. Not for what it can do but just so a native Windows feature can help drive out the third party "doctor" software infesting on the non-tech public. Like 99% of those are malware.

This. So tired of being asked to sort a slow machine only to find it infested with toolbars, chrome addons, and an astonishing number of so-called PC cleaners, that's before the third party anti-virus hogging resources and adding bloat and excess processes.

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020

It's extra creepy when you first go to download chrome, and it has a little popup thingy telling you that you don't need that, because edge is just as good.

Nice that they're scrutinizing your Edge searches to give you that when you search for "chrome"?

Reactions: coolitic
It's extra creepy when you first go to download chrome, and it has a little popup thingy telling you that you don't need that, because edge is just as good.

Nice that they're scrutinizing your Edge searches to give you that when you search for "chrome"?
That's because edge is basically chrome...
it's ok, I prefer chrome too.
Also pretty much every single program has these flags during install and uninstall where they pop up the web browser and ask you why you want to uninstall or why they are better than X, it's not like it's something new.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...chromium-1ce9507c-f09d-4de6-a706-eb52f46be90c

Garden-Gnome

Reputable
Mar 12, 2021
Don't install this PC Manager pile of rubbish, well certainly not until they fix its behaviour.

1. It over-writes your security settings without asking
  2. It changes the security settings to Microsoft products if you have a third-party software installed
  3. It does not uninstall cleanly
It's just like the Edge browser, another monopoly driver for Microsoft's benefit.

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
That's because edge is basically chrome...
it's ok, I prefer chrome too.
Also pretty much every single program has these flags during install and uninstall where they pop up the web browser and ask you why you want to uninstall or why they are better than X, it's not like it's something new.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...chromium-1ce9507c-f09d-4de6-a706-eb52f46be90c

Edge has telemetry in it for Microsoft that Chrome does not have, and my google accounts are far more secure than my microsoft ones.

Been doing computers since the 1970's. I can't recall a single browser popping up a window telling me I don't need to install something that I just downloaded on the basis of some analysis that determined that I was installing a competitors product.

Gimme a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.