News Microsoft Removes Some of Windows 11's Cruft With App 'Stubs,' Optional Drivers

closs.sebastien

Honorable
Feb 9, 2018
... Ethernet and Wi-Fi drivers as "features on demand" ....can request via Windows Update
-> what a joke: please install the ethernet driver to connect to Internet to request the ethernet driver via Windows update

Reactions: jakjawagon

KingZarkon

Prominent
Sep 21, 2021
That was my first thought as well. If you need network drivers how are you supposed to get to Windows Update to get them? Maybe they have the network equivalent of the generic VGA driver? Of all the drivers to make optional, it seems like the network driver is one of the worst choices.

drajitsh

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2016
I found it interesting that while the complaint is about to pre-installed "Candy crush saga" what Microsoft is curtailing is sticky notes and wifi & Ethernet drivers

... Ethernet and Wi-Fi drivers as "features on demand" ....can request via Windows Update
-> what a joke: please install the ethernet driver to connect to Internet to request the ethernet driver via Windows update

I'm assuming this if for AFTER the actual install and it installs the drive for what ever ethernet or wifi that is installed during the windows installation.

Anything that comes after I would assume would have to be downloaded after.