News Microsoft Reportedly Testing AI Commands for Minecraft

Feb 18, 2023
Basically going back to textual adventures but with a GUI. One could as well watch a movie, same thing with extra steps lmao
Not like that. The essence of the game is to build your world by yourself with limited resources (creative mode is more like cheating).

Oct 8, 2022
Not like that. The essence of the game is to build your world by yourself with limited resources (creative mode is more like cheating).
Yeah that was the point of my comment, they're turning something that revolves around creativity into an automated boring crp. Microsoft really can't get its <Mod Edit> together, as always.

Last edited by a moderator:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I've long felt it was more rewarding to design an algorithm to solve the rubix cube than to solve it myself. I guess this is sort of like that.

Bots can obviously spoil or enhance a game, depending on who is using them and how. It just depends on the game.

I'd argue that there's a lot more downside to bots than upside, if the game is well-designed to begin with. IMO, it's not good design for games to require a lot of grind to level up or acquire resources. That's just game designers being lazy, or perhaps creating incentives for in-game purchases.

As a developer, I can see how having bots that can play your game could be useful for QA purposes, but only if the bots were quick & easy to train. Even then, they could never fully replace play testers.

On that last point (i.e. being "quick & easy to train"), we sort of come full-circle to my first point about it being rewarding to design an algorithm to win a game. Except, in this case, what strikes me as interesting is how they used a sort of 2-stage training strategy. In the graphic from the article, it shows how they trained one model to label a much larger dataset for training another algorithm. The basic concept isn't super novel, but I don't know enough to comment on which algorithms they used or how novel their application is, in this context.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS