Microsoft Responds to Windows 8 Hate From Game Devs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Support games on windows my ass , that`s why they have Halo Xbox only. I have win 8 installed and never used the xbox live tile , actually i removed it from the start.

G

not only is microsoft going to lose out against android in the mobile turf, but stupid decisions like these will give google a chance to enter the desktop space.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I don't know why people think that Windows 8 will become a "closed garden" and force out services like Steam. After all, OS X is probably the most closed OS currently in existence and they still have Steam...

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
So long as developers continue to develop games and so long as I can still play my favourite games on the PC I really don't care what MS does.

If Microsoft locks Windows down to the detriment of PC games then Microsoft won't be getting my business in the future but if Microsoft truly believes this will benefit us gamers then I'm open to at least giving it a chance.

randomizer

Champion
The Games app prominently features your avatar, profile, friends and Gamerscore and allows you to explore your friends’ avatars.

Whoopdeedoo. :sarcastic: I don't know what kind of friends you have mate, but I don't "explore" my friends' Xbox profiles, I talk to them... in person too (yes, I know, I'm old fashioned). It's pretty sad if one of the cornerstone features for Windows 8 is some gaming-oriented Facebook knockoff.

Let the developers talk about Windows 8 and keep the PR crew confined to doing what they do best: churning out fluff press releases.

JackFrost860

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
As a small game’s developer I welcome Microsoft app store. It gives small company developers a distribution point which the likes of Stream don’t. The big producers and distributors are screaming about what is actually nothing more than competition. Nobody is being forced to use the app store. Windows market place was around long before Win8.

Zetto

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
Really Kevin? That same pic again? I would have thought your Apple bias would make you more original. But then again your articles pretty much say it all about the effort you put into them. Pathetic .

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Whoopdeedoo. I don't know what kind of friends you have mate, but I don't "explore" my friends' Xbox profiles, I talk to them... in person too (yes, I know, I'm old fashioned). It's pretty sad if one of the cornerstone features for Windows 8 is some gaming-oriented Facebook knockoff.Let the developers talk about Windows 8 and keep the PR crew confined to doing what they do best: churning out fluff press releases.[/citation]

well......I try to explore some of my friends from the inside......... :sarcastic:

G

As a game developer... I totally hate Windows 8 approach of "Microsoft first" then if you are good enough you will find ways to roll back.... I hate the metro (or whatever name they will use) and taking away the start button... I've seen online they're selling Windows Hate (http://r.ebay.com/DetmpJ)... It think I will buy it LOL... It's really horrible to see Microsoft with a wall garden approach.

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
In the past for every new windows OS there where transformation packs for the older. For example Windows Vista or 7 transformation packs for XP.
I bet this is going to be the first time ever that people will be trying (at least in the beginning) to find software to make Windows 8 look and behave more like an older Windows version.

What I don't get is MS takes a loss on XBox sales the first few years the console is out to keep the price down. How about make it so that XBox games work on Windows and vice versa from now on. That way developers don't need to develop for both platforms.

Developers can target their games for the XBox specs. That way gamers know if they buy the console it will run well. Then users with uber gaming computers can crank up the details like they do now and let the game really shine. While people with wimpy computers can tone down the settings for their older hardware. Then have a keyboard and mouse for the XBox for games that require it or work much better on it.

[citation]One of the things Microsoft has pointed out is that despite the "Metro" interface (yep, we said it), the new OS will offer backwards compatibility for older Windows games.[/citation]

I don't believe that. None of my 16 bit DOS games from the 80's and early 90's work in Win 7 x64. I know there are workarounds. Many more recent Direct X 8 and 9 games don't work either without some sort of patch or hack.

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
i really hate windows live already. just restarted playing fable3 and i remember how much i hate the interface and well... its just not fun, intuitive, or feels like it runs well, fast, responsive, or has ease of acess. the menus are all weird, i hate having to link profiles, for some games you need multiple profiles which makes local co op a blah! I really dont li8ke to say i hate things but i really hate windows live market place for games.

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
[citation][nom]marcolorenzo[/nom]I don't know why people think that Windows 8 will become a "closed garden" and force out services like Steam. After all, OS X is probably the most closed OS currently in existence and they still have Steam...[/citation]
i think its because they might make the direct x api and the windows live market place along with your apps all one big cluster everything linked together crap bucket. that will constantly check anything you have with windows live online etc. i can totally see this being pidgeonholed this way.

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Here's how I see the future:
- Corporate (office) environments are already moving to Linux/LibreOffice (which obviously include all the software for web surfing and other accessories), they don't need windows anymore
- Casual gamers have in the most part moved to consoles, soon they will have the option of a very cheap and open-source console ( the OUYA ), or playing on tablets/smartphones.
- Serious gamers could move to Linux if Valve promotes game development for Linux (since they are about to launch Steam for Linux). Alternatively, the go the Apple route.
- Creative work (graphics, music) is already done on Macs (most of it), so there's another category of users which don't need windows.
- Windows 8 is a piece of crap which will only land in the hands of those that don't have a clue what they are buying (and will buy expensive PC's with Win8 installed)
- most Servers have been on Unix/Linux for a long time already, the Windows server marketshare has been in decline for years already.
- People that only want to browse the web and use socializing networks have the option of smartphones, tablets... they don't really need an expensive PC with an expensive Windows for that.
- OEMs are being screwed over by MS with their recent policies, and might choose more and more to deliver PC's without windows installed (either with FreeDOS or Linux), I've seen a TON of laptop models lately without windows at tall.

Conclusion ? In less than 5 years Microsoft will be pushed out of the operating system business, and it's doubtful that they will gain any significant share in other businesses... and they will slowly but surely die like the dinosaur they are.
Losing PC gamers is the critical point in which the definitive decline of windows will happen.

I am and have always been a windows user/administrator/programmer, but I'm thinking seriously of learning to use/understand/program on other OSes (Unix based), this includes Android, Apple desktop OS, mobile iOS and obviously Linux itself.
Thank you MS for the wonderful ~20 years spent with you :) But goodbye, soon... time to move on!

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
i can't wait till some chinese developer copy's windows and tosses out all the ms crapware in it :D
then they can sue as much as they want chine will just show them there careface :D

G

I encourage everybody to give Ubuntu a try, rather than suffering through another disastrous Windows release and paying for the privilege.

Before some idiot suggests that Linux will magically start getting viruses, when it gets sufficient marketshare, that's just not true. 90% of web servers run Linux, are all of those vulnerable right now? Wouldn't that make them a sufficiently large target to interest hackers if they could be hacked?

See:

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-hides-behind-linux-for-protection-3039115920/
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_Microsoft_use_a_Linux_server_for_their_website
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/12/05/03/2225234/microsoft-using-linux-to-optimize-skype-traffic

Part2: Android viruses aren't really viruses. They are applications that the user has to install. Show me one website that can infect my Android phone just by visiting it, or any worm or trojan that could possibly infect an Android device under any normal circumstances. It's purely limited to social engineering, and even then it's quite a bit harder than Windows. Antivirus companies make products for Android and release "reports" because they are in serious danger of becoming irrevlevant.

Yes, Linux really is more secure, or Microsoft wouldn't have to bruise it's own ego by using it for their web operations.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]yannigr[/nom]In the past for every new windows OS there where transformation packs for the older. For example Windows Vista or 7 transformation packs for XP.I bet this is going to be the first time ever that people will be trying (at least in the beginning) to find software to make Windows 8 look and behave more like an older Windows version.[/citation]
Why bother? Why not just use the older version?

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
windows games god i hate the drm so fucking much i cant simply play a windows game from scratch, no i need to de-bugg the hole fucking game cuss its always "always" unwilling to play. for me to start dirt 3 takes 30 min of fiddling for the damn drm to let me use save files. all to often i simply play a unsavable game so i dont need to mess with the pile of crap windows created. and all the games windows force drm on is the same. let my fucking steam games be managed by steam already.
sorry but i really needed to went out some anger from this mess.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]nirmalien[/nom]not only is microsoft going to lose out against android in the mobile turf, but stupid decisions like these will give google a chance to enter the desktop space.[/citation]
¨
well i c it more like a good thing we could use a bit more operating system choices. windows and ios is a bit dry for normal pc-mac users 1 more could be nice and i dont see normal to novice persons use linux yet.

aminebouhafs

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
All online/offline work: iMac
Gaming: OUYA

As an alternative to Windows 8, I can't think of anything better AND more affordable AND having the latest and greatest atm.

Okay, I see the story's headline BUT I don't see Microsoft's response?!

The 4th paragraph is sooo vague it's no answer.

Again, my take has been Windows 8 will be a failure just like it has been every 'other' time. So wake me up when Windows 9 is launched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS