Microsoft Revealed The Xbox One X, But What Of VR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
They may just be waiting for Hololens to be ready for the public. The new Xbox could handle running VR games on the Oculus Rift or the Vive out of the box if MS wanted it to.

The ideal AR console would support multiple AR headsets rendered from their own POV in a common scene. This would allow groups to play animated games on their living-room table.

I am not sure how much it matters when the majority of people doing VR are probably going to opt for the PC experience. Better hardware, better visuals and more to the games makes it a better choice.

I mean it is not like the GearVR is a major threat to the Rift or Vive.

That said, it is still 5 months out. I wonder if the system will work with the Rift or Vive since Microsoft seems to be trying to push One OS for PCs, mobile and consoles. Maybe it will be a normal 10 kernel and the apps will be ported for easy support. Hard to say.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I don't know what the HoloLens has to do with it. That's a completely self-contained, decidedly non-VR device. We're a little surprised that, for example, the spate of Windows Mixed Reality HMDs aren't (apparently?) going to run on the Xbox One X. There's just nothing there yet. Which, considering the buildup, is kind of bizarre.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I've been stewing over this very thing. It's a HUGE question. Is the Xbox One X, because of Windows 10, capable of supporting Windows Mixed Reality? If so, all those HMDs should run on it.

If it runs Windows 10, and Rift and Vive ALSO run on Windows 10, then...could you run Rift/Vive experiences on the Xbox One X?

Not that it matters at the moment, because Microsoft announced a big fat nothing regarding VR and the new console.

Sharpkac

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
2 versions of xobox VR headsets were announced to be released early 2018. They arent ready for the Xbox S X release so it wasnt included in E3 presentation.

braitBR

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One (not to be confused with the Xbox 1, a.k.a. the original Xbox), Xbox One S, Xbox One X... when they reach the Xbox X-One X-BBQ FX-720 TX they might as well just switch the name to whatever is written in the mainboard and call it a day.

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
I think if it was able to support the rift they definitely would have announced it. Unfortunately for Microsoft even with the more powerful council the PS 4 Pro and PS4 both have there own VR experience designed for them while not as good as the rift it's cheaper and for early adopters especially council players price is a factor as well as ease of set up. I feel like honestly this Xbox one X is the worst thing that they could have done. While the Xbox one was not as successful as the PS4 it didn't fail by any stretch. There best move would have been to focus on the next generation and beat Sony to the release date then drop price when they launched their council. I have a feeling that Microsoft's next system will be very similar to the steam machine.

Well to be fair the Xbox One is running a Windows 10 kernel just customized with custom APIs and a custom GUI but a lot of rumors have been pointing to the Scorpio, as it was known, to possibly having a normal 10 kernel with a custom GUI.

I don't think the PS4s VR is anything of a major advantage for them. If I were to buy a console I would have gone with the PS4 only for the few possible exclusives they have that I might be interested in, although they lost Final Fantasy which was one of the only ones. Other than that a Xbox One has a better focus on being a living room entertainment system. The One X will have vastly better performance.

However I am a PC gamer so I care not. I am just interested in where Microsoft is going as things that happen for the Xbox can translate to the PC gaming community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS