Microsoft Reveals New Computer Form Factors Coming With Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
I like the ideas. But I don't want a battery powered pc, and wall warts are just too annoying to fit around other plugs and even some plugs switches.

A either with a figure 8 connector would be fine, but then they wouldn't be 'innovative'.

wirefire99

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
I cannot comment on the "official" word from Intel / Microsoft. but I have build 10122 x32 working on my intel compute stick without issue. (yes I found drivers to run the atom chipset, HD display, etc that Intel does not offer on its website.)

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Neat. I still like the 8" Toshiba Encore I have HDMI plugged into my TV right now better though. I can unplug it and then I have a tablet. But Cherry Trail will be an improvement.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I like the ideas. But I don't want a battery powered pc, and wall warts are just too annoying to fit around other plugs and even some plugs switches.

I've never had a problem plugging wall warts into a decently designed power strip. Heck when I hook up my Model 2 Genesis/Sega CD/32X combo I need three large wall warts just for the computing hardware. But for those who struggle with plugging things in (TV infomercial style with wires all wrapped around their neck and ankles while they try to plug something in), you can get a 1 foot extension cable for like a dollar. This would be a convenient cheap streaming unit for on the go and it could double as a USB charging wart. :p

Neat. I still like the 8" Toshiba Encore I have HDMI plugged into my TV right now better though. I can unplug it and then I have a tablet. But Cherry Trail will be an improvement.

Well I don't think this is exactly intended to take tablets head on. It's meant to compete with various TV-connected units. However it is more flexible than any of those... so it may have a place. The battery also makes it appealing to me because if it's in the middle of doing something important, it doesn't lose data if you lose power. But yeah, there's lots of fair-enough cheap x86 tablets now... but a good Cherry Trail X7 unit (ala Surface 3) of decent size, clock, and quality will set you back a decent chunk.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

I've never had a problem plugging wall warts into a decently designed power strip. Heck when I hook up my Model 2 Genesis/Sega CD/32X combo I need three large wall warts just for the computing hardware. But for those who struggle with plugging things in (TV infomercial style with wires all wrapped around their neck and ankles while they try to plug something in), you can get a 1 foot extension cable for like a dollar. This would be a convenient cheap streaming unit for on the go and it could double as a USB charging wart. :p

Well I don't think this is exactly intended to take tablets head on. It's meant to compete with various TV-connected units. However it is more flexible than any of those... so it may have a place. The battery also makes it appealing to me because if it's in the middle of doing something important, it doesn't lose data if you lose power. But yeah, there's lots of fair-enough cheap x86 tablets now... but a good Cherry Trail X7 unit (ala Surface 3) of decent size, clock, and quality will set you back a decent chunk.

Sega actually made a power strip just for the Genesis/CD/32X. Instead of six plugs as typical, it had five plugs with spaces containing blue letters spelling S E G A. When Good Guys, a SoCal consumer electronics chain, was going under, they blew these out for $2 each. I bought a bunch and still have some in use today.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Useless after another useless release from Microsoft.
Useless to you but I like the looks of that wall plug computer, I want a few of those for my TVs and turn them into HTPCs. Them running full Windows just makes them even better since with it you can run anything you want easily and they should be low power usage. Don't assume the world sees everything the same way you do, thinking something is useless does not make it useless, it mostly just makes you unimaginative.

grumpigeek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Microsoft say they want to get Windows 10 devices into the living room yet they removed the most useful living room application of all - Windows Media Center.

Windows Media Center (WMC) just worked with no hassles.

I have been trying potential replacements (like Kodi, Media Portal, NextPVR) for WMC but none of them work properly. In fact, I am struggling to get any of them to work at all.

So Windows 10 has zero chance in my living room.

Status
Not open for further replies.