Microsoft Reveals New, Improved Blue e IE9 Logo

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Used IE9 beta for sometime and its a complete overhaul of the code, hardware acceleration ect.

The one feature that IE realy lacks in (atleast until the plugis start to arrive like IE9 Pro) is a good add blocker and thats the reason i use Firefox beta atm, even the slowest browser with a good adblocker gets the page up faster than the lastest and greatest without since too many ad-companies don't care if the user have to wait x-xx seconds per ad they didnt want in the first place.

Best way to win the browserwar - Add the features the users want - addblocker for instance! (Its a reason Google dont want chrome to have that feature...)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Hilarious, they show internet cafes from far-flung places in backwater parts of the world like Mexico, Cambodia and Uganda..
...and Edinburgh?
I'm sure the Scottish will be happy being compared to Cambodia - not!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Used IE9 beta for sometime and its a complete overhaul of the code, hardware acceleration ect.The one feature that IE realy lacks in (atleast until the plugis start to arrive like IE9 Pro) is a good add blocker and thats the reason i use Firefox beta atm, even the slowest browser with a good adblocker gets the page up faster than the lastest and greatest without since too many ad-companies don't care if the user have to wait x-xx seconds per ad they didnt want in the first place.Best way to win the browserwar - Add the features the users want - addblocker for instance! (Its a reason Google dont want chrome to have that feature...)[/citation]
Adblocker isn't built-in to FF
It's still an optional add-on, same as it is for IE

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
what is fascinating about the news is the amount of effort MS took just to change a logo. most of us wouldn't even noticed the change. well MS got the time and resources to devote into such a trivial task.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]kikireeki[/nom]that no one will ever notice.[/citation]
I noticed it was different the second I restarted after installing IE9 Beta. You'd be surprised how easy it is to spot small differences like this, it catches the eye.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]what is fascinating about the news is the amount of effort MS took just to change a logo. most of us wouldn't even noticed the change. well MS got the time and resources to devote into such a trivial task.[/citation]
You mean like at the hype and hoohaa that went into the changing logo for iTunes?

obiown77

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
In other important news, I just ate a sandwich, it had ham, turkey, lettuce and tomatoes on it.

futhermore...I was layered with some mayo, chipotle and a touch of mustard.

More important news, coming your way soon!

djg9205

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
This isn't about them making the logo a lighter shade of blue. It's about how the new logo was made to reflect the new focus and mission of Internet Explorer 9. It's about how, from a design perspective, the new logo is supposed to represent IE9's new philosophy. Given that browser choice is still a widely debated topic among the majority of Tom's readers, I consider this article completely relevant. To pretend that this story is about some random schmuck at Microsoft turning down the blue is ridiculous. There was an enormous amount of thought that went into rethinking Internet Explorer's philosophy for it's 9th iteration. This new philosophy applies on EVERY LEVEL, from code to design.

I personally thought this article was interesting and informative. Let's keep more like this coming.

G

Reading this article has actually caused me to utterly hate the logo now -- which is something that I barely even noticed before. Now that I've looked, I realize how lame it is. I'm switching to FireFox.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Hey lets VOTE who has the best LOGO!!!
And anyone else notice how they are ALL ROUND/Circle?

My vote:

LOGO
5 = Opera 10.6x
4 = Chrome ??.x (its barely 2 years old and they are version 6?)
3 = Safari 5.x
2 = FireFox 3.x
1 = IE 9.0 (Since MS never has .xx in their versions)

But vote for best browser:
5 = IE9 (Estimate)
4 = Safari (Interface is so wrong)
3 = FireFox 3.x
2 = Chrome 6.x
1 = Opera 10.6x

whiz

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
it looks way too skinny for me - kind of anorexic and deprived of food with that big gap in the middle of the "e"

G

First I would like to state that I enjoy using Windows and am thankful fo rhte advances it has brought to all our livesin the last 30 years. Right now, we own a 15 yr old Compaq Presario 4716 running Win95, Win98, & Mandrake 6 (my 11 & 14 yr old children use it for research, school & surfing). The Compaq is networked to a 9 year old Sony Vaio PCV-RX581 running XP Home, Xp Pro & Linux(Thye use it as well for same things plus some games. I resurrected both PC's( definitely non-functional at the time) from a divorce sale(more like throw-away)! After 8 years on Dial-Up my monopolistic ISP provider: Comporium, (absolutely the only place we could get internet service from in this part of the county).... finally dropped the price for high speed service(7 Mbps x 512 Kbps)! They went from $60mo to $29.95mo. We Ya no,, Weez po folks... we can onlee ahfort 1 sofa on ah frunt poach! Seriously, We may soon have to drop that ISP alltogether cause both of our 20 year old cars have died, I'm not well enuf to keep them repaired anymore so, we had to get a car payment for the first time in 17 years!

~Un jetz,, If MS wants to get people to switch To IE9.. w/WIN7 from WIN_XP(which can use about any browser but IE9), ,, why not treat Win7 as fundamentally an XP update and/or Vista update(more like warranty replacement).... drop the price to $19.95 or less per PC!! Ol'Bill could just let the bean counters work out those kind of details! However, if he's smart..he would forget about profit for just a little while(by crackie, he is a billionaire!!) and do it out of the generosity and kindness of his heart! Make sure the employees at MS get paid for sure but, base the final cost on shipping/handling for the CD/DVD or bandwidth/handling for a download!!! Call it An act of good-will to the citizens of the world who have made Bill & Melinda extremely wealthy (which is a good thing!) Wealthy by selling(with all due respect) "developed on the fly", long time comin final version operating systems(no lecture on the dynamics of software developement,pleeeease!).. We have all kinda been "guinea pigs" for the last 12 years!! Not only would Win 7 take over market share,, in a matter of weeks, Bill would single-handedly jump start... dare I say "save" the economy(at least in the tech & chinese take-out sector). Just think ofall the new PC's that would be sold and built to run the new "most used" OS in the world!! Oh well,,,, a guy can dream can't he? Dream Hell!! This could be the most greatest marketing idea since Coca Cola successfully pulled its new/old formula stunt over 30 years ago!!?? LISTEN UP MICROSOFT!! UH.. BILL,,, I really wasn't kidding about being poor(my failing health, foreclosure, etc..) Thank God for rice, beans, Aldi mac&cheese and mobile homes) any breadcrumbs you could throw my way for giving you the idea would be gratefully appreciated!! Garret

Status
Not open for further replies.