Microsoft Reveals New, Improved Blue e IE9 Logo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BallistaMan

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
For what it's worth I actually enjoyed this article and looking into the logic behind their choices (since it actually does impact things way more than you'd realize). Admittedly I'm a graphic design major so I would, lo, but I'm not offended by tossing an article like this in once in a while.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
It's bad enough that there's a full article on this "news", but did anyone actually read the very last line? Here it is: "Tell us what you think of the new logo that you might be clicking on often (if it's your browser of choice)." - - now, come on Tom's, do you really expect anyone to sit down and write a serious comment about a logo which has been simply re-tinted to look more washed out? But, I like you Marcus, so here it is: the logo looks good, but so did the one it replaces. :)

xi0s

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Nothing wrong with making mention of this, considering how many versions there have been up to this point, it's nifty to see the evolution of something small and how the little details improve it over time. logo 9 is an improvement over 7/8 but I still like the simplicity of 4/5 personally. Just give's it that classic look I prefer.

[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]OH yea lets change the logo and leave the code the same so people think they are getting something else when it is all the same. -.-[/citation]

Uh..... You do know that it uses the same java script engine as Opera. I am pretty sure that would take a major code overhaul.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Well, it is good that they are paying attention to visual aspects. I have been using it and like many others, I agree that IE has improved, I mean easily manageable download manager, more webpage space, separate windows for each tab are really a treat. However, they are only cues taken from other leading browsers. Do something new MS, and by that I mean for the better!

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Actually the old one looks better. Still can`t figure out why ppl want to fix things that are done right from the first place ... in this situation the logo..[/citation]
I feel so as well. It seems like the current trend to make really flat-looking logos

i dont use IE, im not saying that the new version is not good(i use chrome and others), but a whole article for a logo? really?
i dont think most people would care what the new logo represents, as long as the browser does what it needs to do, people would be happy. they can paint it black or pink for all i care.
they must be having a hard time thinking of a marketing stunt

ira176

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I too have been getting issues with pages being displayed incorrectly, or flash not working right and speed issues (things which did work right in IE 8). I hope that these are addressed in later releases, especially since I am taking the time send feedback. Oh, right now I'm making these remarks using Chrome, which is remarkably a better overall experience than IE 9 beta right now.

i did some coding before(web) and IE is a pain to work with. your code works with every browser, then you try IE bam! not working.
but i think they are sticking to standards now with this new version. about time

I don't see whats with all the hate. No one complained when toms did a news article when FireFox was changing their logo. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/firefox-logo-3.5-girl-mozilla,7862.html

Then again, might be because of the FireFox girl.
There was an article? With words?
charme_23.jpg

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I was hoping they would have done away with the "E" and gone with something else. Maybe something more imaginative. Hell, even an I overlaid on the E would have spiced it up some. The "wash the colors out with light" design google and microsoft are using now just doesn't make sense.

As I said on the IE blog, the new logo looks washed out. Too bad, as eventhough IE9 beta 1 is far from perfect (I still have 4 bugs open on it, it still lacks CSS 'text-shadow' support and I managed to screw up its optimized JavaScript compiler on a fairly easy operation), it is indeed much better than IE 8.

jabbrun

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
It's not too different so people who actually loved IE won't feel alienated. Maybe they should try to make it transparent like Aero theme...

Status
Not open for further replies.