Microsoft Reveals Seven Editions Of Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wait, you're complaining about too many versions, and then you ask for an "enthusiant's edition"? So, do you want more versions or not??

People complained enough about Windows Ultimate that I'm pretty sure there won't be an "enthusiast edition."

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
We need:

* Full list of feature differences, and what the newer "security" is capable of. Saying "security" several times without explaination does not fill me with confidence.

* Pricing.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Also need some more info on updates - the business model implies the home model will force updates whenever microsoft feels like shoveling them on you. Not good enough, and also needs to ability to roll back if M$ break something.

Wow!! That's a lot of versions. But, it makes sense because of the tablets that will use this one. So what about windows 10 with bing?? LOL

LOL, an "enthusiast's edition"? Uh, that makes no sense because windows 8 & 10 Home as well as windows 8 and 10 Pro support the most powerful rigs you can buy today. If you mean an overclocking edition, then that also doesn't make sense because the OS has nothing to do with that.

Jordan Nwokolo

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
Nothing Has changed,except the possibility of Subscription based licenses..Basically it's same as Windows 8/8.1..Same Sh*t,different name.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Also need some more info on updates - the business model implies the home model will force updates whenever microsoft feels like shoveling them on you. Not good enough, and also needs to ability to roll back if M$ break something.

hannibal

Distinguished
So it is good that home version is less secure...? It is difficult to accept that part of this portfolio. Other vice quite normal set for MS.
The only parts that maybe could be combined are pro and home versions and enterprise and education (that are the same thing with different name) To all other versions there is quite good reason to exist. (even with pro, there is that extra update management system that makes is a lot more complex than home version, so hard to say sure about that pair)
Not bad portfolio actually. That security inparity is the only strange thing in here. Maybe if they will reveal what differences there are, it will become clear.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
As far as I am concern, no thanks. Staying on Windows 7 until Windows 10 gets status of DOA and then there might be hope to see real Windows.

digitalvampire

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
"In its own unified Ubuntu platform, Canonical has done the same." Comparing Windows to Linux (even Ubuntu who is relatively new on the block) isn't really fair to Microsoft. By it's nature, Linux/FLOSS is going to have things first. Virtual desktops, for example, have been default for almost 2 decades now. Different target audiences. Actually, all of our engineering and computer science students at our university are REQUIRED to have a Linux installation to do assignments. So let's not compare apples to oranges. That being said, I have enjoyed testing out Win10 in a virtual machine. I doubt I'll ever go back (since I'm not much of a gamer anymore), but I am impressed with it so far. Good luck to Microsoft with this release. :)

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
No matter which version you buy, Microsoft promises the tablet look and feel for their operating systems and desktop programs. Office 2013 made the retro look of tablet/phone GUI become a modern choice for powerful desktops. I would have preferred file compatibility of tablet/phone apps with rich, colorful, and less flat looking desktop applications. They believe that making all their software look the same will make users thrilled to buy their RT tablets and phones sacrificing the GUI for the desktop pc. The desktop should be designed to have the least amount of mouse clicks to perform each task and smartly utilize multiple displays with a mouse.

lunaticwoda

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Im sure by security they mean the how Pro/enterprise have feature sets that aren't apart of home such as RDP Terminal services without digging for them. And the obvious ability to join a domain things of that nature

http://www.howtogeek.com/56410/how-to-get-dreamscene-animated-desktops-back-in-windows-7/

I remember that from when 7 came out and a lot of people missed the Dreamscene.

If you have 7/8/8.1 it is free.

My question though is what versions will what upgrade to. For example will 8/8.1 and 7 Home do 10 Home while 8/8.1/7 Pro do 10 Pro?

I don't think that is what they are saying, however a business (that will normally utilize Pro and Enterprise editions) tend to require even stricter security controls. And the biggest difference between 8.1 and 8.1 Pro was Hyper-V, Group Policy, Domain and Bitlocker (all features most home users do not utilize). No longer does Home only support 16GB of system RAM, all versions of Windows 8 can do up to 2048GB of system RAM.

Some people will never be satisfied. Hell some people are still gripping on to XP claiming even 7 is not a "real Windows".

This is how it has been from the beginning of the computing age. People who cannot move one.

Honestly 7 was a great OS but 8.1 is better and 10 will be even better. On the back end and especially security wise, 10 looks to make 7 look as insecure as XP almost.

For example, the new browser Edge (only on 10) will run in a sandbox, like all Windows Store apps do, and will also drop any support for ActiveX in favor of HTML5 and JS.

But hey, keep 7. There honestly is nothing wrong with it.

It truly depends on how you look at it. 8 had quite a few nice backend improvements that made it superior to 7.

That and the fact that I got it for $15 bucks due to a upgrade promotion Microsoft had going on I couldn't;t really say no.

game junky

Distinguished
I just care what is the cheapest version that can domain join (guessing that's gonna be pro per usual). I will have a more structured opinion when I have a couple of test boxes with retail copies on them. I put the tech preview on a desktop and a laptop and though the drivers aren't there yet I have enjoyed the Window 7/8.1 test tube baby. Windows 10 Mobile as your workstation on the go was a little intriguing as well though I don't think I want to switch platforms yet

USAFRet

Titan
Home
Pro
Enterprise
Mobile Enterprise
Education
IoT core
Phone

For 90% of people reading this, Home is what you want.
Pro get another 4.7%
0.3% other.

My opinion from knowing the user base here.

The 'Phone' part is not included in that 100%

marck1001

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Things seem pretty clear imho. Home for home users, Pro for SMB, Enterprise, well you get the picture.

I have absolutely nothing against win8/8.1, became user since day 1 and never looked back. Have been testing Win10 for quite some time and have mixed feelings about it. I do like a few things, trying to get used to others (like win98 to winXP, XP to 7, 7 to 8 and now 8 to 10)..

Those sticking with win7, have fun with it, your choice, but DX12, app sandboxing, a 10s boot, a sensational stylist desktop and Edge (I'm intrigued by it and quite impressed) are deal breakers for me. I simply love Onedrive integration and the fact that I can have my desktop, favorites, history and documents virtually in any win8, win10 machine I log in.

Those win7 extremists, give it a try, at least the disappoint won't be as big as with win8 and in this case, will be for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.