Microsoft Reveals Windows 8 App Store Pricing Details

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dameon51[/nom]Why are people always complaining about Metro on a PC when there is still a desktop available? I don't get it?[/citation]Same thing with DOS -> GUI transition. There's going to be a lot of trouser moistening, but the younger generation and the more adaptable older folk will be fine.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]dameon51[/nom]So people are complaining about Windows 8 having Metro because they're worried Windows 9 will take the desktop away? That's ridiculous. This isn't like Progman vs Explorer. Explorer was a BIG upgrade to Progman, thus it replaced it. Metro and a desktop are two different things. MS has kept command line support all this time, because its an important tool. Do you think they're gonna axe that in the next version of windows too?[/citation]
That start button was also a really helpful tool... WAS a helpful tool, until MS axed that. Whats more is that explorer's only real "upgrade" is the Ribbon interface, but aside from that, not much has improved, and without the start button, along with other missing features, is a step back. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see explorer gone in Win9, especially considering the cut MS is making off of every Metro App. MS isn't making money off of explorer.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]That start button was also a really helpful tool... WAS a helpful tool, until MS axed that. Whats more is that explorer's only real "upgrade" is the Ribbon interface, but aside from that, not much has improved, and without the start button, along with other missing features, is a step back. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see explorer gone in Win9, especially considering the cut MS is making off of every Metro App. MS isn't making money off of explorer.[/citation]
The reason they axed it is it became outdated. The task bar is much more efficient in a productivity environment, and if you have a gazillion pieces of software the search functionality works great. I will agree with you on Ribbon though. Its one of those things that should work in theory, but even after using it for a few years it still feels clunky and weird. I still can't see them axing the desktop entirely, since their staple is productivity in windows.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I had Nokia Lumia with Windows 7.5 at the time. And.. It's a dull looking system I must admit. Fast, functional and good navigation (Nokia one) but.. It's just dull and plain. Cold and boring. I don't see Metro picking up - be it desktop or mobile.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]It's certainly going to benefit those who create software such as video converters, photo editors ,etc etc. There's a ton of freeware on the internet but your average user isn't one who can find them on their own or even trust them.[/citation]
You don't think the draconian policies by MS will allow many, do you?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]50% more than Apps on Apple iTunes and you guys claim Apple is always price gouging?[/citation]
All apps on iTunes cost .99C then, every single one? Does the Apple fee of 30% drop to 20% after $25,000?
Didn't think so

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]All apps on iTunes cost .99C then, every single one? Does the Apple fee of 30% drop to 20% after $25,000?...Didn't think so[/citation]

I'm talking about the customer's perspective. Paying $1.49 compared to $0.99, I can get 3 apps on iTunes for the price of 2 on Microsoft's.

Microsoft should have pricing below iTunes to attract people and have a much smaller cut so developers will want to develop on it. Their business model will surely mean they will stay at third place behind Apple and Google for sometime.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]I'm talking about the customer's perspective. Paying $1.49 compared to $0.99, I can get 3 apps on iTunes for the price of 2 on Microsoft's.Microsoft should have pricing below iTunes to attract people and have a much smaller cut so developers will want to develop on it. Their business model will surely mean they will stay at third place behind Apple and Google for sometime.[/citation]
People will always pay more for a quality product, as long as it actually is higher quality, if the App is garbage then bad reviews will ensure it tanks and sales are bad. If the App is good quality it will get good reviews and it will sell more and the Dev gets a lot more money because the fee drops to 20% after $25000 - this is a way to ensure better quality apps are made, rather than buying 10 of the same cheap-ass app because the last one was rubbish

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]I'm talking about the customer's perspective. Paying $1.49 compared to $0.99, I can get 3 apps on iTunes for the price of 2 on Microsoft's.Microsoft should have pricing below iTunes to attract people and have a much smaller cut so developers will want to develop on it. Their business model will surely mean they will stay at third place behind Apple and Google for sometime.[/citation]
But I do understand the idea of price-perspective, the 99c tag is a visual symbol, I would like to think that consumers can evolve beyond sales-pricing tactics that evolved from the high street "dime stores"

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Apparently not since one of the key criticisms is the lack of start button. I see the taskbar as more of a watered-down dock, which both Linux and Mac have had forever and is far more polished. In comparison, the taskbar is pretty much broken. Combine that with Ribbon and well, Explorer isn't as productivity oriented like it was back in it's heyday with Windows XP. I think Microsoft is tired of the productivity staple. I mean nothing says productivity like Metro with a keyboard and mouse. At the rate Microsoft is going, I think a lot of businesses are going to switch over to Linux, one of the main reasons being LTS (Long Term Support) of 5 years.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]People will always pay more for a quality product, as long as it actually is higher quality, if the App is garbage then bad reviews will ensure it tanks and sales are bad. If the App is good quality it will get good reviews and it will sell more and the Dev gets a lot more money because the fee drops to 20% after $25000 - this is a way to ensure better quality apps are made, rather than buying 10 of the same cheap-ass app because the last one was rubbish[/citation]

Fact is Apple has the highest quality mobile Apps in their App store. So unless MS is going to some how have Apps that completely blow away what's available on iTunes for just $0.50 more they're strategy won't work (they will only produce a small tiny fraction of the actual apps the rest are independent companies).

It's like them offering a music service and charging $1.49 a song compared to $0.99 industry standard. It's head scratching.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I'll stick with Free. Most of my app purchases are. If there is something really good that warrants me paying for it, then 50 cents is not that much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.