Microsoft Reveals Windows 8 App Store Pricing Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I think for the sake of promoting Metro, they should have lowered their cut for launch. It's bad enough many consumers dislike it. It's not going to entice developers to make stuff for it, either.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
It would be wiser to start with 99 cents, like the competition, until you grab a foothold in the market. With the strength of the economy not certain, 99 cents is more palatable to consumers.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
A lot of apps are going to be free and there is the issue of the 6 million or so existing bits of software that will run on the x86 version of W8, including all the freeware and shareware
As long as these chargeable apps are good quality then the ones worth buying will get bought, and then make more money for the dev as they get more successful, which seems fairer

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Crush3d[/nom]Why not just make the minimum a dollar with 50 cent increments from there.Keep it slick and simple. One dollar.[/citation]
Consumers seem to like the number 9, stuff put up for sale for $9.99 seem to sell better then an item for sale for $10. That is why most every price ends in a 9, I have no clue why but it helps things sell.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Clearly a revenue thing for MSFT. If an app maker really needs to pull back some money, they can't offer it for free, and $1.49 is the next lowest option. MSFT then makes $.45 a sale instead of $.30. Don't plan on buying many apps for Win8 anyway, but really don't see this as anything but MSFT wanting more money.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Killing metro even more. How does microsoft think that it can sell it's overpriced RT tablets when consumers know that many paid apps will cost 50% more than their iOS/android counterparts?

The only "metro" app I use is Desktop.

sun-devil99

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Consumers seem to like the number 9, stuff put up for sale for $9.99 seem to sell better then an item for sale for $10. That is why most every price ends in a 9, I have no clue why but it helps things sell.[/citation]
Seems we are conditioned to think that $9.99 is a MUCH better deal than $10. Aside from that, they can say 'under $10' which also makes you think you are getting a good deal.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Developers are free to distribute desktop apps at their discretion, as had been done in the past. The above pricing model only applies to Metro apps, which can only be distributed through the Windows Store.
so... can non-Metro software be distributed through the Windows Store or not?

[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]so... can non-Metro software be distributed through the Windows Store or not?[/citation]
not as of yet, but there is nothing preventing them from being able to in the future.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Wow, they really stuck to Apple's model. I wonder how they are going to deal with apps written for Intel chips vs ARM tablets.
I think to be competitive, they should stil with the $.99 standard and go up - They can adjust later if things work but it keeps them competitive when you see similar apps on platforms selling for less.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
If anyone was wondering why Microsoft won't let users disable Metro or at least boot to desktop, it probably has something to do with that 30% cut and the fact that Microsoft decides which Metro apps you can use on your PC.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]If anyone was wondering why Microsoft won't let users disable Metro or at least boot to desktop, it probably has something to do with that 30% cut and the fact that Microsoft decides which Metro apps you can use on your PC.[/citation]
Maybe $999.99 is for the Metro-disable app.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
if they are smart enough, a 20% cut is more than enough. You need to undercut ur competitor to be success.

I hope they start offering Apps store that completes with steam for games on desktop windows. -75% on games? NO need for steam or whatever clients!

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
It's certainly going to benefit those who create software such as video converters, photo editors ,etc etc. There's a ton of freeware on the internet but your average user isn't one who can find them on their own or even trust them.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
[citation][nom]dameon51[/nom]Why are people always complaining about Metro on a PC when there is still a desktop available? I don't get it?[/citation]
It's available THIS time. But, what about NEXT time? See where we're going with this?

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]SinisterSalad[/nom]It's available THIS time. But, what about NEXT time? See where we're going with this?[/citation]
So people are complaining about Windows 8 having Metro because they're worried Windows 9 will take the desktop away? That's ridiculous. This isn't like Progman vs Explorer. Explorer was a BIG upgrade to Progman, thus it replaced it. Metro and a desktop are two different things. MS has kept command line support all this time, because its an important tool. Do you think they're gonna axe that in the next version of windows too?

G

$1.49 minimum? Really? Thats just a horrible number thats going to take a toll on your bank account balance. it's not as addictive as .99 apps. No taste.

Why does micro$oft always charge so much more then others? DoodleJump on the Market Place is $2.99 Vs. $ .99 on the app store. lameeee.

Status
Not open for further replies.