Microsoft Rolling Out Xbox SmartGlass This Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravinmachine

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Wow, they want to turn PC's into secondary smart screens for the Xbox?

"It will convert Windows 8 and RT tablets and PCs, Windows Phone 8, iOS and Android devices into smart second screens for Xbox content."

Man do they have things backwards.

Lately everything thats "Innovative" from microsoft has been very wierd. They seem to have the greatest of intentions, the energy to do it, but they never really think things through. Its like watching an over excited chiwawa with a bone thats three times its size trying to get it outside and burry it all the while just running around in excitement wagging its tail and being really confused and frustrated lol.

Microsoft will end up performing mediocerly, the OS will not be a smash success like Windows 7 was even though some will jump into the Windows 8 mania. What can you expect after the success of Windows 7, its like Windows 7 is the original Star wars Trilogy, and 8 is the Prequel trilogy flashy and new, but no where as good as its predasessor.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I love windows 7, and I can totally see my self using windows 8 with a touch screen. The touch screen is a complement to the mouse and keyboard, not a supplement. If you get that idea through you head, then it'll be a great device to navigate with.
I tried beta of windows 8 and love the performance, it's everything windows 7 is and more ;)

Now for the smartglass, I thought the idea was great. Makes me double doubt my PS3 purchase over xbox360. Wish PS3 will have the same thing. I'm not entirely sure how it works thought. Is it a mirror display or an extended display like having 2 PC monitors?

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I'll be happy to use my phone as a remote for my xbox 360... it is pretty much only used to stream netflix hulu and amazon prime at this point and i never have luck finding the controller and whil ei can use voice commends its not as fast as just hitting buttons .. and hard to get the xbox to hear me without possibly wakign up a baby so hey i'll find it useful

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I am currently checking out W8 (Enterprise Ed. and added the Media Center to the home version) myself but don't like the switching between the different UI's but this Smartglass deal with Xbox, this gets my support, i feel this is what W8 is built for, not a PC OS replacement but as a compliment to PCs using currently available devices that utilize touch input. I wish they would have gone the MCE route, let me choose when to use the MCE UI, which is fantastic looking on a TV but not for desktop use.

@ravinmachine
I think you are not understanding the idea behind smartglass. The idea is not so much that one device becomes master or servant to any other device, the idea is that there is a free flow of content and information between devices. If they do it right it will allow the user to be the center of a device enviornment rather than the user having to akwardly move between devices.

That is the magic of win8 and skydrive that I think a lot of people are missing: It is not about the interface (which is actually quite like able once you get use to it), and it is not about being a more efficient OS (which it also is, makes my netbook feel like a real computer), the beauty of win8 is cloud support. If I log into my phone, desktop, laptop, etc I have all of my social stuff on all devices (social hub, email, chat client, etc). And if you set up Skydrive the right way you can seamlessly sync your documents between devices as well. For example I have skydrive on my computer, my wife's computer, and my netbook where I can save a document to "my documents" or the "desktop" and the file shows up on all of these devices. If I make a change to the file, then it updates on all of my devices. If I delete a file, then it deletes off of all my devices. If I am on a friend's computer and need a file I just log into skydrive.com and can get to all of my documents and desktop files. Not a huge deal for people who only have 1 computer, but when you are spread out on a multitude of devices like I am, this feature is a huge lifesaver. I no longer have to worry about where a file is, of if the version on my current machine is the newest one, etc. It also acts as my off-site backup for all of these files which is nice (though I also keep local backups as well... you can only trust MS so far lol).

Smartglass takes this philosophy of transparent hardware to the next level with how you interact with media. What device the media really lives on does not matter, and you can interact with media on a whole new level. It works with the xBox360, but really this is just testing for what comes with the next xBox that comes next year. Rumor has it that the xBoxNext will run x86, and full blown win8 and basically become the Microsoft PC to complement Surface and the rumored MS Phone coming out 'soon'. If such rumors are true (which they may or may not be), then the console becomes your PC, your PC transitions to become your home server where the bulk of your content lives, and the phone and tablet become real extensions or complements to the xBox 'PC' by adding functionality while also being able to pull information from your server.

So yes, it seems backwards now, but as the next gen hardware comes out their strategy will start to make a strange sort of sense. One interface type across all devices (phone, tablet, PC, console, and server), with similar software across all devices, and with access to the same data across all devices. It puts Apple's iOS vs OSX scheme to shame, and it really makes the whole Linux/Android thing seem kinda poorly though out. Not to say that these companies could not follow suit with a similar ecosystem, but as of right now MS is oddly doing it right.

socratesjackson

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
No thanks. Every time MS "intergrates" things in an effort to make them "better", they leave security holes you can drive a truck through. No thanks to the auto cloud storage too. It's gotten to the point that if someone wanted to see your private info, they no longer need access to your devices...just your cloud storage. Identity theft will soon become the new street mugging. Common and almost never investigated.

f-14

Distinguished
as far as working with anything from apple, apple will never allow that, they are the most closed system, closed minded bigoted and racist freaks on the planet.
apple will never go for allowing IE to work on their iCrap just so somebody can enjoy something non apple with their iCrap
http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonesoftwareterms/f/Is-There-Ie-For-Iphone.htm
Question: Can You Get IE for iPhone?
Answer:
The shortest answer is no, there's no IE for iPhone. And, sorry to tell you this Internet Explorer lovers or those of you who are required to use it, there probably never will be. Things could change, of course, but it's pretty unlikely.

While there are a lot of alternative browsers available for the iPhone and iPad, notice that none of them, with the exception of Opera, are the major browsers used on desktop computers. You don't find Firefox or Chrome on the iPhone.

When it comes to Internet Explorer, the likelihood is even lower, especially because Microsoft doesn't even make Internet Explorer for the Mac anymore, let alone the iOS. If it doesn't develop IE for the Mac, instead leaving the platform to Apple's Safari and the other browsers, it seems very unlikely that Microsoft would suddenly bring IE to the iPhone.

murzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]@ravinmachineI think you are not understanding the idea behind smartglass. The idea is not so much that one device becomes master or servant to any other device, the idea is that there is a free flow of content and information between devices. If they do it right it will allow the user to be the center of a device enviornment rather than the user having to akwardly move between devices.That is the magic of win8 and skydrive that I think a lot of people are missing: It is not about the interface (which is actually quite like able once you get use to it), and it is not about being a more efficient OS (which it also is, makes my netbook feel like a real computer), the beauty of win8 is cloud support. If I log into my phone, desktop, laptop, etc I have all of my social stuff on all devices (social hub, email, chat client, etc). And if you set up Skydrive the right way you can seamlessly sync your documents between devices as well. For example I have skydrive on my computer, my wife's computer, and my netbook where I can save a document to "my documents" or the "desktop" and the file shows up on all of these devices. If I make a change to the file, then it updates on all of my devices. If I delete a file, then it deletes off of all my devices. If I am on a friend's computer and need a file I just log into skydrive.com and can get to all of my documents and desktop files. Not a huge deal for people who only have 1 computer, but when you are spread out on a multitude of devices like I am, this feature is a huge lifesaver. I no longer have to worry about where a file is, of if the version on my current machine is the newest one, etc. It also acts as my off-site backup for all of these files which is nice (though I also keep local backups as well... you can only trust MS so far lol).Smartglass takes this philosophy of transparent hardware to the next level with how you interact with media. What device the media really lives on does not matter, and you can interact with media on a whole new level. It works with the xBox360, but really this is just testing for what comes with the next xBox that comes next year. Rumor has it that the xBoxNext will run x86, and full blown win8 and basically become the Microsoft PC to complement Surface and the rumored MS Phone coming out 'soon'. If such rumors are true (which they may or may not be), then the console becomes your PC, your PC transitions to become your home server where the bulk of your content lives, and the phone and tablet become real extensions or complements to the xBox 'PC' by adding functionality while also being able to pull information from your server.So yes, it seems backwards now, but as the next gen hardware comes out their strategy will start to make a strange sort of sense. One interface type across all devices (phone, tablet, PC, console, and server), with similar software across all devices, and with access to the same data across all devices. It puts Apple's iOS vs OSX scheme to shame, and it really makes the whole Linux/Android thing seem kinda poorly though out. Not to say that these companies could not follow suit with a similar ecosystem, but as of right now MS is oddly doing it right.[/citation]

I really liked your explanation!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Microsoft has been trying to do this for years starting with the sidekick. The main problem is in order to use it you need an XBox360. I definetly don't plan on owning one.
Also to Microsoft, it does not matter what smartphone you use, to them you are still paying them royalties.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
well what they don't tell you about internet explorer for the xbox 360 is that it doesn't support flash, so if you want to watch flash supported video you are SOL as i found out messing with it on my xbox 360 the other day.

G

The only problem is ....
you can only use M$ products, (which is sad).
A No brainier for me, no multi-platform = no interest from me.
Lots of other services available to provide a similar solution.
Also, you guys need to note.. WIN8 is not faster than Win7,(or if it is, it is very small and
negligible).
Win Xp however is approximately 2x faster than win 8 and win7 and that is significant.
Lets hope they pull there finger out and achieve the speed of Xp.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jumpingaroiund[/nom]Also, you guys need to note.. WIN8 is not faster than Win7,(or if it is, it is very small and negligible). Win Xp however is approximately 2x faster than win 8 and win7 and that is significant.Lets hope they pull there finger out and achieve the speed of Xp.[/citation]In order: Wrong, and not even close. Benchmarks, pal. Go back under your bridge.

G

Yes you are right..
You have no idea.

Go read some benchmarks and come back to apologize.. thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS