Microsoft Said to Be Aiming for Oct. Launch for Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
For a range of reasons I'm skipping Windows 8, in fact, I will do everything in my power to get PCs with Windows 7, rather than Windows 8. I don't like the new UI, and while Windows 8 may have to option to use the old interface I still don't like metro as the default. And then there's the UEFI secure boot issue. Unless OEMs include the option to disable it in the BIOS I won't be able to dual-boot Linux, which is important to me as a programmer.

jayracer7474

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
im getting ivybridge and windows 8 and 2 ssd's in raid 0, I'm think under 10 secs. to boot. It's funny how people hate change, really the only pain that comes from change is the resistance to it.

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
The date referenced in the article above for Windows 7 is incorrect. It went RTM on July 22nd 2009 and then to the general public on October 22nd 2009, not 2008 as stated.

G

This will be the first iteration of windows that I will skip. I have the consumer preview and as far as being able to do what "I WANT" and "Intuitiveness" it makes me cringe. They can try and force their way into the tablet market this way but I don't think it is going to work. You just have to read the comments about it every where to see people already don't like it. I don't see how they cannot take all the negative feedback and put in a updated "Classic" interface with a start button and option to disable metro altogether. Very curious as to what the final release will look like and if the have be listening to the feedback.

G

I got Windows 7 few days ago.

End of mainstream support: 2015
End of extended support: 2020

I'll pass Windows 8, thanks.

really, why all the hate for metro? Are people so backwards that they really used the start menu for anything other than shutting down and control panel (both of which are easy to access using the Charms menu)? All of the metro programs are 'extras' which are not really required, and while different it does not hurt the usability of Windows as a whole, and adds some potential capability (though I am not entirely sold on that point yet, but we will see what developers come up with).

I am sure there will be plenty of ways to get around Secure Boot shortly after it is released. Granted it will void warranty, but I am pretty sure that duel booting, or loading any OS other than what came with your machine in the first place, would void the warranty in the first place.

marcopalestra

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
I use the Consumer Preview on my notebook and i don't want the Metro UI because is oriented on the Tablet or the Touchscreen Computers and I prefer the Windows 7 UI

ok but will you get any other versions of windows ever if they still have the Metro GUI? because its here to stay

i do usethe start menu a lot. especially since they added the search bar in it. we are not like you with 1000's of icons on the desktop and a 100 more icons in the tooltray . i don't fear change but unfortunately this is a change i do not like and for the record i have used the metro GUI

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]jIt's funny how people hate change, really the only pain that comes from change is the resistance to it.[/citation]
It's also funny how to some people, change - any change at all is a sign of progress and a way forward with disregard to it being for better or worse. The Metro interface is not a bar mover whatsoever, a way forward, nor progress. It's simply a feature that's overwhelmingly not wanted. Opposition/resistance is a normal reaction for those that don't like to swallow what they've been given when they know they don't like it. You may like the new interface, and that's fine; it's your opinion and you're entitled to it - as are those that do not like it though.

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I find it interesting how some people dislike when someone corrects an obvious mistake in an article and then they go ahead and give thumbs down to the correction. I suppose some prefer to remain misinformed I guess.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]ok but will you get any other versions of windows ever if they still have the Metro GUI? because its here to stay[/citation]
Maybe, but not if it is universally panned. 8 has every chance of being accepted by businesses as Vista did. The churn of new OSs from M$ is far too fast for the business world, and since businesses are just now turning from XP to 7, the probability that 8 will find a home in the business world is likely on par with Vista.

While this may be a good move for M$ in aligning their OS across different platforms, businesses will buy based on the business need, not what M$ releases.

G

[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]ok but will you get any other versions of windows ever if they still have the Metro GUI? because its here to stay[/citation]
I'm not even sure what Metro GUI looks like, I'll have to google it.
But I've used Windows XP since it came out, which is 9-10 years, I think that says enough about me sticking to preferred OS. :)

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Maybe, but not if it is universally panned. 8 has every chance of being accepted by businesses as Vista did. The churn of new OSs from M$ is far too fast for the business world, and since businesses are just now turning from XP to 7, the probability that 8 will find a home in the business world is likely on par with Vista.While this may be a good move for M$ in aligning their OS across different platforms, businesses will buy based on the business need, not what M$ releases.[/citation]

The thing is people are using tablets and smart phones more often at work nowdays. This is a headache when your work systems are all microsoft machines and your smartphone/tablets are all android/iOS.

When windows 8 tablet computers and nextgen windows phones come out, if they are as good as expected, there will be a huge incentive to go with the microsoft phones and tablets just because they will be more compatible with your office systems at work. Your work may even issue you free windows based tablets and smart phones.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
This seems to be a never ending cycle. Id rather they try new things then to just puke out the same thing over and over and over. At any rate, for those that didnt even give Metro a chance, or just blindly hate it, Im sure there will be a way to use the "old" interface, official or not.

At any rate, Im excited about Windows 8. Im looking forward to some of the new stuff going on under the hood.

And If I do end up not liking Windows 8, it wont just be because of one single aspect.

if you haven't used it then how can you say you don't like it?

just sayin'

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Thanks, but I'm not going to be forced into using a tablet/mobile user interface on my three 24" non-touch screens. Metro cannot be turned off by design, because Microsoft wants to turn the PC into a kiosk and a closed system that runs only preapproved apps from the Microsoft app store (MS gets 30% cut, and ad revenue from ad-supported apps). The only reason they have legacy support for desktop is to get more people to upgrade. If Windows 8 sells well, then Windows 9 won't have the desktop or any support for applications we use today.

All Microsoft has to do to have a winner is make the Metro Start screen resizable so it can be the size of the current Start Menu, to allow setting default mode to desktop and to make Metro apps run seamlessly inside the normal desktop. For all their hype, Metro runs on top of Windows but it's not Windows, it's just a UI.

G

This would fit in with both the Windows 7 launch, which was October 22 of 2008
Really ?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I don't get why people have such a hate on for Windows 8 because of Metro. Just switch to the Win 7 GUI. Sort of like how in XP I would disable themes. I don't really care much about GUI changes like that anyway, I just want it to be faster / less bloated, stable, and any features like better file transfers etc are just an added bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.