Microsoft Saying Goodbye to Aero in Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Well, the only times I did use Aero was to show off. Apart from looks I didn't find any uses for it. But I'm starting to get worried about all these changes Microsoft is making. I mean, what if they suddenly decide to eliminate alt+tab? :O

mirage1974a

Honorable
May 21, 2012
The real reason is that tablets don't have the horsepower to run Aero, so they had to dumb down the OS for everybody. Way to try to downplay advances in a UI Microsoft.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
But for Windows 8, the team ripped out the "glass and reflections" look and went with a "clean and crisp"

Clean and crisp my ass. Have the ribbon and favorite bar remove by default and then you would have clean.

Opening a default explorer windows is like launching my grandmothers browser, the top 30% of every page is full of crap. While this is somewhat useful for touch enabled devices, there should have been logic built in for a "touch pack install" or a "Non-touch pack install" Metro overall doesn't work for non touch enabled devices, and neither does the HUGE ribbon atop every window.

G

But I LIKE Aero! Tsk.

When they took away the Start Menu, I felt a bit sad since it's like a tradition, but really, I didn't care since I use a program (yes, "program" not "app" *cringe*) called "Launchy" which is infinitely better than a Start Menu and Microsoft should have had this from the beginning.

I used to not care about Windows designs, then I took an Aero in the knee.

Don't pull out the Aero. Leave it in there. Pretty please? Don't even get me started on "skinning programs" ugh.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]iamvortigaunt[/nom]Ah yes, another round of "I hate Metro" comments from Tom's readers...[/citation]
They'll get indignant about just about anything, won't they? Can't count how many times I've been downvoted for pointing out the incessant whining about how technology doesn't cater to their every whim.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
It's possible to work around Metro (with 3rd party software), but what's most alarming is the reasons Microsoft is pushing Metro and not allowing users to disable it.
See, you can get Metro apps only from the Windows store, where Microsoft decides what can be sold, where they get 30% cut from software sales and ad revenue from ad-supported apps.
So it's no surprise they want to move everyone to Metro yesterday, and not give you any choice about it (apart from not upgrading). If Metro takes off, there probably won't be a desktop or desktop support in Widnows 9 or 10. Hope you like walled gardens.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]They'll get indignant about just about anything, won't they? Can't count how many times I've been downvoted for pointing out the incessant whining about how technology doesn't cater to their every whim.[/citation]

With Metro, Microsoft is breaking the Windows ecosystem in two in order to get a 30% share off app sales. At the same time ruining desktop productivity by optimizing the UI for tablets that no one will buy.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]iamvortigaunt[/nom]I do find Aero to be a bit cheesy, with the translucent glass look and such.[/citation]

All you have to do is disable it, right?

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
XP - Excellent basic UI
Vista - Shitty ugly UI
7 - Cleaned up above ugly UI w/ newer spaz and sparkle.
8 - Cleaned up above ugly UI w/ cleaner spaz and much less sparkle for everyone.
10 - Who gives a flying monkey, game over man..

I remember back before XP when everything was pretty much recycled "improvisions" to finally releasing a "new" UI which is the same basic functions dressed the same way with a few buttons and tassels missing from here or there. YES I SAID TASSELS.

Tassels.

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]With Metro, Microsoft is breaking the Windows ecosystem in two in order to get a 30% share off app sales. At the same time ruining desktop productivity by optimizing the UI for tablets that no one will buy.[/citation]

There's also a security gain to be had with this approach. Also, after a certain point of revenue, they decrease their take to 20%. Also, a central marketplace gives exposure to developers as well, as it provides a central location to sell their apps. Why do you think so many 3rd party merchants choose to sell on Amazon and eBay, despite the cuts these companies take?

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]It's possible to work around Metro (with 3rd party software), but what's most alarming is the reasons Microsoft is pushing Metro and not allowing users to disable it.See, you can get Metro apps only from the Windows store, where Microsoft decides what can be sold, where they get 30% cut from software sales and ad revenue from ad-supported apps.So it's no surprise they want to move everyone to Metro yesterday, and not give you any choice about it (apart from not upgrading). If Metro takes off, there probably won't be a desktop or desktop support in Widnows 9 or 10. Hope you like walled gardens.[/citation]

Linux will likely see an increase in support...

Status
Not open for further replies.