Microsoft Says Don't Use Windows XP Registry Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

They are trying to stop people from doing something that could cause major issues to their system. I like that they are willing to warn people even though XPs support is now dead.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Wow this is awesome! Time to spread the word.

I'd guess windows update would search and allow you to easily install updates (instead of having to download manually) and I'm curious if all the updates ever done for embedded XP will try to install, which may be largely duplicates of regular XP updates.

My advice is to try it on a crap machine to see if the updates have any harmful affects before installing on your beloved computer.

cryptz

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2004
... and development on a XP bricking update begins. If you can justify keeping xp at this point not needing updates should be part of your justification process and this shouldnt really concern you.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Microsoft says don't try these updates go buy "our" newer OS. Microsoft says 7 is outdated go buy our newer OS Windows 8. Windows 9 is released Microsoft says Windows 8 is outdated and less secure go buy Windows 9.

Windows XP users say if and when we move away from XP we'll be moving on to Linux because it's clear where you drew the line in the sand and clear how you left unfixed known security risk back doors.

They are trying to stop people from doing something that could cause major issues to their system. I like that they are willing to warn people even though XPs support is now dead.
You mean they are trying to keep their money train rolling down the tracks to their bank.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Microsoft says don't try these updates go buy "our" newer OS. Microsoft says 7 is outdated go buy our newer OS Windows 8. Windows 9 is released Microsoft says Windows 8 is outdated and less secure go buy Windows 9.

Windows XP users say if and when we move away from XP we'll be moving on to Linux because it's clear where you drew the line in the sand and clear how you left unfixed known security risk back doors.
People have been threatening to go Linux after the next version of Windows for nearly 20 years. If it was going happen they would have done it by now, not still be floundering at less than 1% on the desktop.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
"The best way for Windows XP customers to protect their systems is to upgrade to a more modern operating system, like Linux or Chrome."

Fixed.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
As a hard core Linux user I am a little disappointed. Here you are promoting the hacks to keep Windows XP alive despite the fact the OS is 12 years old!! Come on. It's time to move on. Either Windows 7 or Linux. Do all of us a favor...dump WinXP!

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

Why should you even care? Are you selling notebooks or PCs?

There are reasons why XP users don't go anywhere:
1) special software. Proprietary software on proprietary OS makes you stick with it(its simply doesn't wok on the newer ones and programmer is long away or company charges too much for an upgrade), i know alot of people who're slowly moving to dump it and pay for the new open one and move on Linux.
2) "don't touch it if it works". Usually if people made their system too depandable and it works or/and they have bunch of old PCs there is simply no point for them to move Linux and they don't even think about moving MS OSes.
3) combination of 1 and 2

Because of the above reasons movement to Linux is abit slowed. But going by companies i know of more than 30% already moved, around 10% are slowly moving and almost 40% are thinking about moving since they will upgrade hardware anyway and sticking to MS proved to be unrealiable.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
People have been threatening to go Linux after the next version of Windows for nearly 20 years. If it was going happen they would have done it by now, not still be floundering at less than 1% on the desktop.
Yeah, but this is now... not then. Things have changed. Microsoft no longer controls the OS market. Just the desktop. More people use Android and iOS as their COMPUTER... NOT Windows.

Since the consoles get all the games... other than MS-Office and Quickbooks... most people simply do not need Windows.

Windows 8 sucked so bad, I erased it - installed LinuxMint (which costs $0) and my wife (who isn't a computer expert) had no problems using it. Browsers, OpenOffice, etc... worked fine for her needs.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Arch Linux as my main OS and MicroXP/TinyXP (slimmed down versions) in VirtualBox for the 1% of software that I cannot find a Linux alternative. Couldn't be any more happier. Microsoft can suck it. Also, Adobe can suck it too. Been Flash-free for about 2 years now. Don't need it, don't want it. Browsing experience is much better without it.

rickl7069

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Seriously? Did you really say that Microsoft is saying this because they care?
Anything ANY company does should always be viewed in the context of how much money they will profit and, obviously, everyone upgrading would be quite profitable. It's not that Microsoft is evil, they are in business and the only reason most people go to work is to earn a living.

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Budgets are tight for everyone. If a company is using XP, its probably for a good reason. Example, at the college I work for, our Life Science dept utilizes a couple laptops running XP for some defunct companies' heart beat monitors and software. If they were to upgrade to windows 7 they would also need new software licenses and probably new monitoring hardware.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
the only thing microsoft cares about is your money. someone found an exploit and microsoft is using scare tactics to try to keep people that didn't pay for exclusive windows xp updates away from downloading them.

Starman80

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Yes this is a great hack, never thought it would be so easy to apply the POSReady 2009 updates to a regular XP system. The only issue I thought of that might come up is with regards to getting updates for Office 2007 or 2010, as the Embedded versions of Windows don't support MS Office, so MS Update might not continue to download updates for these products once the patch is applied. But we'll have to see, and I'm sure this registry key could be reversed if necessary to get Office updates.

Starman80

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
the only thing microsoft cares about is your money. someone found an exploit and microsoft is using scare tactics to try to keep people that didn't pay for exclusive windows xp updates away from downloading them.

I agree, and only caring about money is the hallmark of a corrupt company. They've been getting worse these last several years, but hopefully will see the light that customer service is more important.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Best advice here is simple:

1. Proceed at your own risk using updates not intended for XP

2. Don't be surprised when you "break" your OS

If you are good with this, then good luck. However, it is past time to move on.

ivyanev

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
There are pretty good reasons to stick to XP:
-Old hardware runs reasonably well under XP.
-Driver support some old hardware is not supported to newer windows versions. And crap driver can ruin experience.
-Wait until microsoft make another great windows os :)

Status
Not open for further replies.