Microsoft Says Outlook Security Will Be Better Than Gmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Fundamental law of marketing: Always say mine is or will be better than yours or theirs.
My bank uses the 2-step security method. I think it's cool.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
"Instead, Microsoft wants 'to find a strong solution that everyone can use...'"

In other words, hackers too. *Sigh* The whole point of why I like Gmail's two-factor authentication is that only 1% of the users use it. If everyone used it, hackers would be obligated to figure out how to break it.

G

The two factor authentication code on my gmail changes a lot more often than every 30 days as stated in the article. It's more like every 30 seconds.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Two factor authentication is a pain in the ass, but is far harder to crack than just a single password. I have it enable on my account and unless the hacker physically has your phone, it's impossible.

So no, it won't be better. And the gmail account of the journalist was hacked because the password recovery was tied to the Apple mail, not because the security of gmail itself was weak.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
All I can say is, use different passwords for different accounts. And always use up to the max allowable password length. And don't ever login to your accounts using another/public/untrusted computers.

It is too bad that Outlook.com only allows up to 16 characters for the passwords. I would feel more secure if they had allowed up to 64 characters.
:)

If MS would just cut down on spam without blocking real messages we will all be happy.

I love the new 'not metro' interface of Outlook.com by the way, can't wait for skydrive to follow suit

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]joriah[/nom]The two factor authentication code on my gmail changes a lot more often than every 30 days as stated in the article. It's more like every 30 seconds.[/citation]

Different IP's each login then i take it? Got static here and 30 day as stated seems to be accurate.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Note about phone encryption, this will not protect you from police. Police can still access your phone because Google gives police a method to decrypt your phone for a one time access.[/citation]
Maybe we should push for TrueCrypt for Android. But I wonder if Google would allow the App.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
But when asked what those security measures would be, the spokesperson merely said Outlook would require "strong passwords" and possibly even single-use codes.
Get ready to write down that minimum of 20 characters password somewhere. When something is designed by a human, it can be reverse-engineered BY a human and therefore broken/cracked. There will almost always be a way.

f-14

Distinguished
so microsoft is saying they are only going to slightly improve outlook as opposed to fixing it properly. how about they just remove it from all windows operating systems and make it an add on to office.

G

Google's 2-factor authentication key is required for every login (and changes about every 30 seconds) unless you check "remember this computer for 30 days" option, and then it's only on that computer that you don't have to re-enter it. Chances are a hacker isn't going to be using your own computer, and in that case you have bigger issues.

iOS is in fact encrypted, and basically impossible to perform forensics on. This article links to a white paper on iOS Security. http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/13/apples-unbreakable-ios-device-encryption-highlighted/

zhihao50

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
They should introduce three factor authentication where for the third factor you have to fill out a form detailing every little secrate only you could possibly know and its compared to their profile of you to make sure it match. And the information you gave will not be solded to other company for advertising use.

andrew_b

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
I use two factor authentication across a lot of my accounts. I feel a lot more secure when I can telesign in to my account, it gives me the confidence that my account won't get hacked and my personal information isn't vulnerable. To say they will be stronger security without using 2FA is impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.