Question Microsoft Security Essentials won't show location of detected virus file ?

anant024

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
View: https://imgur.com/a/8hOsVGX

Hi. I just restarted the pc and i think steam was doing update in background and this message popped up as in screenshot. Initially Microsoft Security Essentials use to show where the file was located but its not showing anymore ? I have not installed any new software and i don't know where this file is that it has detected. I was only checking in my downloads to see if anything got downloaded which was not suppose to !

Mod Edit: OS = Windows 7

You don't need to know it's location to get rid of it. Just follow these steps to remove it:
  1. Under the "History" tab, click the "Quarantined items" radio button to view the quarantined items.
  2. Place a check mark in front of the item that you want to remove.
  3. Click the "Remove" button to delete the malicious item and remove it from quarantine.
  4. Close the Microsoft Security Essentials window.
Job done.

Where it came from ? -- impossible to answer, it could have come from anywhere.

What happened? -- a virus downloaded itself (it happens) but MSE spotted it before it could do any harm.

You don't have to download any software to get a virus, you can get a virus just by visiting untrusted or dodgy websites and clicking on something that might look harmless but isn't.

Reactions: anant024

anant024

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
actually MS essentials use to show exactly where it has located the file so i was wondering why it no longer showing..as it could be some false positive too..or atleast i could investigate the matter if i know in which program it has found this