Microsoft Sells One Million Xbox One Consoles in 24 Hours

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
So, Xbox only sold 1 million in 31 countries, while PS4 sold OVER 1 million in 2 countries? I hope the supply was the only reason.

sirskeetsalot2013

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Meh, if it launched in only usa it still would of sold all 1 million units, just like the PS4. People fail to realize the PS4 only launched here to get GROUND in Xbox's homeland. IT wanted a firm foot in the market that "may" challenge it.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
On day one, most everyone that didn't preorder were disappointed. In Calgary Canada, all stores are sold out. I waited too long to preorder. Then I waited in line only to be disappointed along with 80 percent of the other people. I then ordered one online from the mircosoft store and will get it tomorrow. From what I saw on day one, they could have sold 5 times of what they did.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I think that says something about the Xbox One, though, Grim. One million divided by 31 = 32,258 units per country whereas PS4 sold 500,000 in two countries... that's 15x the amount of units in two country, 7.5x the amount of units in one country.

I am not getting either console, but clearly the PS4 already has a head start.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

While I fully expect the PS4 to outsell the XB1 by no insubstantial margin, your logic is questionable here. Let's say they had 100,000 XB1's in the US and 900,000 PS4's in the US and both sold out, with the rest of their stock split between the other countries in question (Canada for the PS4 and 30 other countries for the XB1)... What exactly are you implying this says about the XB1? Something about demand? Limited supply does not in any way indicate how many people actually wanted to buy it.

Think of it like, say, toys for Avengers characters after the movie. Let's say a store was stocking Iron Man and Hawkeye doll, and had 10 Iron Man and 30 Hawkeye dolls. They go on sale, each sells out - meaning that 3x as many Hawkeye dolls would sell compared to Iron Man. By the reasoning I think you're applying, we could take this to mean that Hawkeye is 3x as desirable an action figure compared to Iron Man and that this "says something" about Iron Man. Is that *really* what you would take away from an example where one item simply has less units available and, therefore, sells less?....

Reality is, both of these consoles would have probably sold a million units on pre-orders alone. It's the next few months that will give us a true gauge of their relative popularity after all supply issues are sorted out. I expect the PS4 to have a not insubstantial lead in early sales - but time will tell.

hitman40

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

Yes, I agree, stop with the fanboyism, PC RULEZ all, oh wait...

Hypocrite much?

willyardms

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
Well, I thought the XBOX One launched in 13 countries not 31. Still, that's 11 more than the PS4. It would be interesting to know how much was sold outside of the United States and Canada though.

I need a better artillery computer (or maybe one of those toaster game consoles?), because that joke went clean over the target.

Though, I stand by the fact that PC is master race. It's a simple fact, not fanboyism.

I get better hardware, I can easily upgrade my unit, I can choose my input methods (mouse KB/controller), I get essentially every game that comes out on console eventually (not that half of them are much good), access to a wealth of free to play games. I can work, play, and watch on the same system. Patches and games on PC are far more complete, because it costs nothing save development to patch a game. Humble bundles, easy digital downloads, full access to most forms of media...

A console is great for a plebeian who only wants a console. A PC is great for anyone who wants the best games, gaming, and work experience. I also don't have to subscribe to services for multiplayer.

It's the difference between getting something that works, and getting something that's amazing. Frankly, for how much those consoles cost and how long they last, the cost differential isn't too bad either.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I agree with you, steve. I was not being very logical in that post -- I jumped the gun. I really should have thought that through instead of simply posting on a whim!

Status
Not open for further replies.