Microsoft Sending Windows 7 SP1 Beta Invites

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
"hackers will go all out to fool users into handing over personal information."

Please send your name, ssn, birthday and mailing address with optional credit card info (#, expire date and security code in the back) to imahackergonnastealyouridandmoney@hotmail.com) and you will receive Windows 7 SP1.

Tohos

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]"hackers will go all out to fool users into handing over personal information."Please send your name, ssn, birthday and mailing address with optional credit card info (#, expire date and security code in the back) to imahackergonnastealyouridandmoney@hotmail.com) and you will receive Windows 7 SP1.[/citation]

This guy seems legit.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Why the hell do they need to have a Beta SP1? Test it, then deliver the goods! Weird.[/citation]

Because like any patch, there is always the possibility that you break something in the process of trying to fix something else.

The beta is just to let any new problems shake out before final release.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Anyone who has been updating their computer through Windows update is already using SP1. I'm not exactly sure why Microsoft is public testing an update that is nothing more than a culmination of security fixes that are already out to the general public anyways.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
"As Microsoft previously indicated, SP1 will not offer Windows 7-specific features, but rather serves as a culmination of updates released since the OS hit the market"

what's there to beta test? this a re-release of stuff we're already using.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]tolham[/nom]"As Microsoft previously indicated, SP1 will not offer Windows 7-specific features, but rather serves as a culmination of updates released since the OS hit the market"what's there to beta test? this a re-release of stuff we're already using.[/citation]
You'd be surprised. Stuff magically breaks for seemingly no good reason. Can't tell you how many times I've done something in a dev environment that works perfectly and then completely breaks in a test environment.

Personally, I rather have them run a beta test first instead releasing it to the world now only to find that I have a whole new set of Windows 7 computers that don't run. But thats just my opinion.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009

but these aren't new updates, these are updates they already released individually. it's a little late to just now start beta testing.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Microsoft is just making a big deal about BETA SP1 because it will draw attention to SP1. It's free advertising.

SP1 is important because that when most professional IT departments will adopt a new OS. This is also why SP1 is early this time...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]You'd be surprised. Stuff magically breaks for seemingly no good reason. Can't tell you how many times I've done something in a dev environment that works perfectly and then completely breaks in a test environment.Personally, I rather have them run a beta test first instead releasing it to the world now only to find that I have a whole new set of Windows 7 computers that don't run. But thats just my opinion.[/citation]
Is true. I develop on my local machine, then test on a dev server, then test on a mirror of the production server, then finally put code into production. I often ask certain users to test out fixes / new features for a while before they hit production. Its better than paying more testers, and its better real-world conditions.

G

"based on the quality of feedback you have provided on previous Windows programs."

Does that mean that people actually use that "Send Error Report" button? o_O

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
yep just got my invite this morning and loaded it a little while ago. Since I'm able to type this that means the beta at least works a little

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]1337_b0i[/nom]Does that mean that people actually use that "Send Error Report" button? o_O[/citation]
I often send messages like 'Fuck you Microsoft and your buggy-ass software'. I wonder why I haven't received my invite yet?

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]1337_b0i[/nom]Does that mean that people actually use that "Send Error Report" button? o_O[/citation]
well considering those are anonymous, it might be difficult. i want windows 7 to get rid of that "searching for a solution to the problem" thing and just send a report in the background that way i can fix it myself because iu usually know what the problem i already

Status
Not open for further replies.