Microsoft Settles on Non-Metro Name for UI: Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
So now I will call it Window 8 blocks for blockheads and Lego lovers. They definitely needed to change the name so that the casual user that heard negative things about Metro would believe things got a lot better with the new Windows 8 start screen. I will still buy windows 8 at the reduced initial price but will install on my older machines that have Windows XP. Will change interface with third part app.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
They changed the name to try to sidestep all the negative buzz about Metro, and to further integrate Metro into Windows by making it Windows, and calling everything before Metro a different name, like desktop or legacy or whatever.

G

Windows 8: Apocalypse 2012.

Even the myans seen this coming.

DarkenMoon97

Honorable
May 21, 2012
[citation][nom]aznshinobi[/nom]IDK about people but all this hate for Windows 8 is unnessary. The features of W8 are pretty amazing. Solid energy savings compared to Win7, performance increases from kernels and other adjustments, etc. etc. Although everyone is angry about Metro UI or Win8 UI having a bit of a tablet-esque/phone-esque feel. If you don't like it, don't use the UI, just stick to the normal UI. As for the name, I thought Metro UI was a pretty nice name but... Now with it just being called Windows 8, meh.[/citation]

Umm, what normal UI? You Cannot turn off Metro.

ien2222

Distinguished
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]They changed the name to try to sidestep all the negative buzz about Metro, and to further integrate Metro into Windows by making it Windows, and calling everything before Metro a different name, like desktop or legacy or whatever.[/citation]

Yeah....no. They did it to avoid a lawsuit by a German company over the use of the name "Metro".

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
the [citation][nom]aznshinobi[/nom]IDK about people but all this hate for Windows 8 is unnessary. The features of W8 are pretty amazing. Solid energy savings compared to Win7, performance increases from kernels and other adjustments, etc. etc. Although everyone is angry about Metro UI or Win8 UI having a bit of a tablet-esque/phone-esque feel. If you don't like it, don't use the UI, just stick to the normal UI. As for the name, I thought Metro UI was a pretty nice name but... Now with it just being called Windows 8, meh.[/citation]

Tghe features of Windows 8 are pretty amazing? if you think Windows 8 features are pretty amazing, you must be amazed easily. Windows 8 UI is nothing more then Windows 7 mobile UI. There is nothing amazing about Windows 8 other then the fact they they took a mobile UI and stuck it onto Windows 8.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I agree with the author himself:
"" the old-fashioned method would have read "Desktop and Metro-Style Apps." Yawn.""

He seems to be putting himself to sleep half way through the article yet he soldiers on. Can't say I did the same....yawn.

obsama1

Distinguished
Metro isn't that bad. But, I do prefer the traditional desktop. I do want the speed increase that comes with Win8. It is so fast! If they had an option in the Control Panel to disable Metro, I would buy this purely for the performance enhancements.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]So now we'll never know if somebody is referring to the UI or the OS.[/citation]
I can already hear the help desk calls.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
This is why they changed it...

When you think of Apple, you subconsciously think of a crisp tasting Apple.

When you think "Metro" you think about homosexuals.

Eg: "we'll probably still call it Metro for years to come because we like the way it rolls off our tongue."

When what rolls off your tongue?

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]They changed the name to try to sidestep all the negative buzz about Metro, and to further integrate Metro into Windows by making it Windows, and calling everything before Metro a different name, like desktop or legacy or whatever.[/citation]

umm no they changed the name because a company was threatening to sue them over the name

FAIL

psugrad1999

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]How about not calling it windows. It's not a windowed OS anymore.[/citation]

But it is a windowed OS. You can still have any number of applications running at the same time. if You want a (old school metro app) running and still be able to run other (old school metro app) just snap them to the side of the screen. If you want your music play list to show and still work on desktop, just snap your music app to the left side of the screen and you can view your desktop on the remaining 80% - 90% of the screen. Desktop apps still play well and behave as you would expect them to the right of (metro aps). And you can always either alt-tab or swipe left to cycle through your opens app's.

beavermml

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
i've been using windows 8 RP for a month now n i feel very great.. it is a very good OS.. all the bitches about metro is overhyped.. why? becoz once i logged on to windows n click desktop app, the metro will be gone.. if u hate the mtro app, dont use it.. just keep on using the desktop... and the metro is very good in searching.. beat win7 downs.. it is much faster in win8 press Start button n just type to search compares to win7.

to me, the metro is a good replacement for start menu. becoz in win7, if u click the start menu, ur attention will go to THAT start menu, neglecting the others which is the same as metro fullscreen... i mean.. do u watch ur movie when u click the start menu in win7? its basically the same..

Status
Not open for further replies.