Microsoft Shipping Xbox One Wireless Adapter For Windows To Retailers, Release Imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Microsoft is pushing for widespread Windows10 adoption. It made no mention of previous version of Windows, but the Xbox One controller does work with a USB port on WIndows 7 and up, so it unclear.

Brian_19

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015
if you have two wireless controllers to connect, do you need to purchase two adaptors or can one do both?

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

You can ha e up to 8 controllers with one adapter

They'll probably have a couple different SKUs. I'd keep an eye out for the one packaged and labeled specifically for PC, if they do that this time around.

The box would be marked as "for PC" and include a driver CD.

The previous generation version did not sell well simply due to the labeling turning people away, and you could find them discounted quite a bit.

For anyone still using the 360 controller on PC, it is a worthy upgrade. The buttons are better quality, and the sticks have a great texture. My old 360 controller's sticks became smooth as a baby's behind and was just no longer viable.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
My old 360 controller's sticks became smooth as a baby's behind and was just no longer viable.
You can buy a four-pack of OEM replacement sticks plus a torx wrench for $4 from Amazon, with free shipping. After learning that the support we were PROMISED YEARS AGO is now being withheld from anyone unwilling to move to Win10 I immediately began fresh maintenance on my 360 controllers. It's too bad Playstation controllers are made for people with tiny, fairy hands and the Steam controllers are absolute garbage. Meanwhile, Logitech/etc all have shoddy XInput support. Now would be a great time to sell me a non-MS gamepad upgrade. I'm highly receptive to replacing my 360 controller, but as far as I can tell it is still the best option for Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Snayperskaya

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
My old 360 controller's sticks became smooth as a baby's behind and was just no longer viable.
You can buy a four-pack of OEM replacement sticks plus a torx wrench for $4 from Amazon, with free shipping. After learning that the support we were PROMISED YEARS AGO is now being withheld from anyone unwilling to move to Win10 I immediately began fresh maintenance on my 360 controllers. It's too bad Playstation controllers are made for people with tiny, fairy hands and the Steam controllers are absolute garbage. Meanwhile, Logitech/etc all have shoddy XInput support. Now would be a great time to sell me a non-MS gamepad upgrade. I'm highly receptive to replacing my 360 controller, but as far as I can tell it is still the best option for Windows 7 and Windows 8.

I have a Chillstream and it works great. Too bad they don't make it anymore, I'd grab one and keep sealed just for future use. Top class d-pad and robust overall build. I've read that the F510/F710 aren't half bad either.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
yeah, so people sticking with their old windows is basically why we can't drop legacy support.
This is such a stupid stance. Steam says that right now over 45% of their users are running Windows 7. Every single PC game on the market supports Windows 7. Releasing a gamepad that doesn't have support for Windows 7 is pure absurdity.

And unless you intend to abandon all the games you currently own, legacy support will be important. Besides, it's not like you have to sacrifice Win10 functionality to support Win7. Or, for that matter, it's not like you have to sacrifice Win7 support to support Win10. Microsoft is just making another one of the terrible blunders that they have become well known for.

Achoo22,
Let's not forget that DX12 is going to be W10 only, and that W7 will lose support so become vulnerable.

I can appreciate both sides of the fence, but frankly sometimes you have to just drop support for older software or hardware and move on.

It's not like the excellent XBOX 360 controller isn't still an option, or the WIRED version of the XBOX ONE.

I don't think that the percentage of people upset about not getting wireless XBOX ONE support for their OS will be very high.

mlga91

Admirable

The F510 is great, the F710 has issues with the wireless conection, you need to be very close to the receiver.

I find these HORRIBLE.

The triggers are stiff and PAINFUL to use after a while and also too SHORT of a distance so I had extreme difficulty using in racing and other games compared to the XBOX 360 controller, and many games are missing RUMBLE (vibration) features. Not just a couple games but MOST or possibly all (and I used a replacement F710 which didn't work any differently and have tried it on W7, W8 and W10 on multiple computers and get the same results.

Logitech support got sick of me and wouldn't discuss my complaints about the problematic rumble directly so I've never got an answer on that. If it's a hardware issue that got fixed I'm not aware as I won't buy a new controller (they've been around for a long time).

I suggest sticking with the XBOX 360 controller for the price. If you want wireless I'd invest in some AA batteries with 2000mAh lifetime or similar (two sets).

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Let's not forget that DX12 is going to be W10 only, and that W7 will lose support so become vulnerable.

Meanwhile, in reality, Microsoft's extended support (including security fixes) for Win7 is scheduled to run until January 2020. And because the Playstation uses PC-type hardware that will never offer DX12 support, the vast majority of released games will be available under other APIs.

I can appreciate both sides of the fence, but frankly sometimes you have to just drop support for older software or hardware and move on.

That may be the case, but again... Steam says that more than 45% of its users are currently running Windows 7. That's the MAJORITY of PC gamers. Can you give me other examples of mainstream hardware that targets Windows 10 exclusively? No, because it's insane.

Achoo22,
Support->
Okay, fair enough. Extended support for major security etc is 2020. There will be other code as part of "mainstream support" that won't exist so I'm not sure how that will affect things.

Backwards compatibility->
Sure, Microsoft could easily add support for W7 with the wireless XBOX ONE receiver. Maybe they will even do that. However, the reason which is likely obvious to most is that Microsoft is aggressively pushing people to move to Windows 10.

The big deal with Windows 10 is cross-device integration (console, laptop, phone, PC). So, this is a rather unique situation. Microsoft wants some integration between Windows 10 gaming and XBOX ONE gaming so has decided to push the controller exclusively to the XBOX ONE.

(Let's be honest, it's about forcing people to Windows 10 as making the wireless driver work on Windows 7 would be childs play and likely will be hacked anyway)

*As for the "45%" on Steam, keep in mind that's today. That will be quite different in a year.

**My "issue" I guess with your statement about it being "insane" is that I think you're implying that Microsoft doesn't know what they're doing because a large number of people are on Windows 7/8 still. I don't agree. Microsoft has a plan, and it's actually pretty good (cross-device integration, including integration between W10 gaming and XBOX ONE). Pushing people towards that benefits them far more than any sales of XBOX ONE controllers. Besides, as I think I said you can still just buy the XBOX 360 controller anyway and it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.