News Microsoft shot real lasers through a window to make Windows 10's wallpaper — surprisingly the iconic art wasn't computer generated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Lasers make everything better. Pretty much any 80's kid could tell you that!

I support creative freedom for designers, but it's fair to point out that this wasn't strictly necessary. Maybe he was just playing around and not really sure exactly what end result he was after, in which case this would be more justifiable.

It would be interesting to see how close someone could get to approximating that same image, using common 3D rendering software.

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I love that they pumped money into the artistic side of things in a more interesting way than just a graphics artist. Nice to see art come into big tech....and that this wasn't super advertised. Cooler than I expect from Microsoft.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
If you didn't see it, it's new to you?
Speaking as someone who didn't previously know this, I'd say my life wasn't enriched by learning it to the extent that I think it justifies recycling old news in the feed. I'd rather miss a few "cool nuggets" and keep the newsfeed uncluttered by regurgitated news. Even when it was new information, it was already fluff. If it's no longer new, that makes the value of reporting it even more questionable.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I love that they pumped money into the artistic side of things in a more interesting way than just a graphics artist. Nice to see art come into big tech....and that this wasn't super advertised. Cooler than I expect from Microsoft.
Another take on it might be to call it pretentious. Kinda like how they used Brian Eno to make the Windows 95 sound scheme and I'm sure there have been other examples, in the meantime.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Reminiscent of the story behind the 'Bliss' Windows XP wallpaper, which was created using a 6x7 medium format film camera by Charles O'Rear in 1996.

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Another take on it might be to call it pretentious. Kinda like how they used Brian Eno to make the Windows 95 sound scheme and I'm sure there have been other examples, in the meantime.
Not my take at all. Art for arts sake is good to me and inspiring. If they advertised the hell out of it, and did something super weird then I would find it pretentious.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Speaking as someone who didn't previously know this, I'd say my life wasn't enriched by learning it to the extent that I think it justifies recycling old news in the feed. I'd rather miss a few "cool nuggets" and keep the newsfeed uncluttered by regurgitated news. Even when it was new information, it was already fluff. If it's no longer new, that makes the value of reporting it even more questionable.

I, too, always make sure to thoroughly digest, analyze, and comment on pieces that I consider fluff. Now, onwards to enrich my life...

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Can we start a rumor that Microsoft is going to get Daft Punk back together to score the Windows 12 login theme?
One way to make Win 13 seem less annoying and horrifying. (i like Daft Punk, but they have a glorious track record when it comes to annoying songs eclipsed only by She whose name must not be named)

Status
Not open for further replies.