Microsoft Shows Tablet With 'RearType Keyboard'

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

In true MS fashion, the tagline for this would be something like "Use your fingers on your rear today!"...

haunted one

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
These days, companies are just creating as many different products as possible without giving sufficient thought to their potential use, market niche and actual usability. Using this device would be very uncomfortable. Gripping with my thumb and typing on the back with my fingers? Keyboard + screen = netbook. There's no need for this.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
it might work im sure they wont have such big and ugly keys on the back... and nobody yet knows how it feels while typing might be better off with a touch sensitive with maybe a little response at press would work...

still though would take some time to get used to

jeffk464

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
why not make a keyboard that folds down and away from the screen. The keyboard could also prop up the screen so you don't have sit there and hold it.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
The old TC 1100 had it right - you make a keyboard unit that doubles as a tablet stand and a screen cover when transporting it. That would be much more useful - and if they didn't use a dock connector but a USB cable, then they could make the stand work for portrait and landscape mode...

...or they could just put in the the excellent Windows 7 inking option. (Yeah, I said it again.)

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
15 wpm after a whole hour of practice? Must be from how awkward it would be to grip the tablet. I remember faring better while new to the iPhone... that's using two thumbs.

G

I love stories that startle me and make me think " I didn't realize it was April 1st again!"

Well done Microsoft, you got me again!

tethoma

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Microsoft has the worst interface and usability development department. I hate to say this, but they need to take a page from Apple in this area they are the WORST at.

darthvidor

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
they should have designed the keys differently ... looks like a typewriter. what happens to "press any key to continue hdd wipe" when you suddenly put the tablet down?

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Here's me typing on a tablet with backwards keypads....

now here's me typing on the tablet when i set it on a table

asdjfckv/jkl;adfsradks.dlv;jkfwjkdiucxkdsioejkcdfif'ij

G

Just throw on the xbox controller buttons on the back and a really good accelerometer and im good.

ansar

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
I like this better than keyboards popping up. To me this is probably the best solution I have seen yet. Slap some nicer keys on there and I think you got a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.